“Delicious, romantic, cosy seafood restaurant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Zdenek's Oyster Bar

Zdenek's Oyster Bar
Mala Stupartska, 636/5 | Stare Mesto, Prague, Czech Republic (Stare Mesto (Old Town))
420-725946250
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #25 of 4,196 Restaurants in Prague
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood, Oyster Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stare Mesto (Old Town)
London, United Kingdom
“Delicious, romantic, cosy seafood restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I visited Zdenek's in January 2013 and had a lovely dinner. I went with a girl friend (I'm also a girl!) and we were the only non-couple in the restaurant! But it wasn't awkward or anything - the waiters were a good laugh. There are only maybe 8-10 tables, so it's quite small, but very cosy. The decoration is beautiful - low lit, chandeliers, high tables.

We had oysters to start, with a glass of rose champagne - both delicious. The waiter brought out a complementary amouse bouche, which was a fruity drink (really concentrated, yummy!) and a spoonful of soft cheese with apricots (?) - it was to accompany the champagne.

Then they brought out a selection of warm home made breads, and 3 bottles of olive oil which were quite a big deal! One of them was in a perfume bottle, to spritz on the bread; one was the 2012 European olive oil of the year (!); and one was a really yummy 'grassy' flavour.

Following that, we had a tapas selection - all good. Quite a decent amount.

Then for our main course we split the lobster roll between two. It came with this amazing sweetcorn soup, and blinis with caviar. The waiter kindly split it into two platters for us. We had a bottle of wine with dinner.

We then chose a dessert wine, rather than a dessert.

It came to about £80 GBP each... considering we had a bottle of wine, glass of dessert wine and the most expensive glass of champagne, we thought that was really reasonable.

A very memorable restaurant, which I would definitely go back to... would be perfect for a romantic evening, but just as good fun if not!

• Visited January 2013

• Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
“excellent seafood, worth the money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

went here on our first night in Prague, good location near old town square. Lovely romantic setting. This is very much an adult restaurant so if you have children I would probably not recommend it.

This is not a place to rush, you sit back relax and chat as the food will take a while to arrive. When it does the food was excellent. They gave us a complimentary scallop and lentil dish which was prefectly cooked. Our main was Lobster and languistines served in a baking tray to your table. It is one of the best meals I have had, the sauce had garlic, bacon, onions, white wine and herbs and came with baguette great for dipping in the sauce.

If you want a great meal in Prague come here, it is expensive for prague however. Food with a bottle of wine was £120 for 2 people

Visited January 2013
Mississippi
“Worth the time and the money!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

After a full day of sightseeing we had decided to go here for dinner. We arrived at around 7:30 and told all tables were gone….I knew it was good. So, we made a reservation for the next night and I am so glad we did. The wine/champagne list is amazing and the wait staff is very knowledgeable of it. My husband and I are not oyster fans, but love seafood. This place was amazing. The seafood is mostly from the UK and it tasted as if it was caught that morning, flown over and cooked to order for us. We ended up trying an item from each of the categories on the menu and the prawns that were cooked in butter with chili in the iron skillet were amazing. I am still thinking about it! We decided that as we were in Prague we would try a wine from the region. I know our waiter snickered a bit but it was delicious. My husband really enjoyed ending the night with his birth year Grappa. It was by far the priciest meal we had in Prague but it will be in my memory bank forever! If you like seafood it is a must…remember to have your hotel call ahead and get a reservation. It is a little noisy but that will not take away from the night.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“a little taste of heaven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We have been to Prague several times. This last time we discovered this restaurant. At first I admit I was a sceptic, we are from Vancouver and we know fresh seafood. My husband enjoyed fresh oysters and we went back twice during our stay in Prague.

If you like wine, you may find it hard to find a nice glass of wine in Prague. Czech red wine leaves a little to be desired. So this is an awesome place to go for a wonderful glass of wine, and there champagne selection is unbelievable. My husband found the oysters delicious. Although we didn't try the rest of the seafood.

The ambiance was great. The lighting was low and there are several chandeliers. We enjoyed sitting at the bar, when we could find a spot. It is small but well worth a visit.

Prague
“Champagne !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Could have been named champagne bar instead - dozens and dozens of different champagnes available, and the staff actually do know them and are able to comment on them.
Sometimes a bit noisy, the (sea)food is very good but this is not a restaurant - this is a bar, and a very good one indeed !