“Restaurant or bottleshop?” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Drinks, Reservations
Oslo, Norway
“Restaurant or bottleshop?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

On my recent beer safari to Prague, I of course wanted to visit as many places serving or selling beer as possible. I was far off from making it to all the places, but this one I had to visit. It was quite close to the army museum and as such, a delight (as the army museum was rather dull, that might not say a lot, but anyhow...).

Now, to be honest, Prague as a destination for a beer safari was a bit of a challenge to me. They love their beer here, they are very very proud of it, they drink vast lakes of the stuff and they are fairly unison in their opinion that theirs is the best beer around, and they probably invented the stuff as well. However, they nearly only drink lager/pilsner, and I and a lot of other beer fans, have moved on.

Not a problem at Pivovarsky klub. Here they have beer from all over the Czech republic, and a lot of it is from microbreweries who are trying to broaden the pallet of Mr. and Mrs. Czech. There's porters, stouts, pale ale's and even one or two IPA's. Not quite the hop bombs from the US and their followers, but they are getting there.

So, what about the place itself. Well, it is an odd place. It is a beer restaurant, there's great food and beer on tap and all, but it is also a bottleshop. So, there you are, having walked for a long while, you sit down, ask for a menu and a beer, and you try to read the menu, despite the fact that nearly every inch of the walls around you are filled to capacity with bottles of beers.

I did manage to tear my eyes away from the bottles however, as I knew what I wanted. I wanted goulash! So, I ordered that and some beer from a monastery which was nice, unfiltered and cloudy.

My goulash arrived, and it was something else. A brewers goulash, it was served on a plate, not a soup bowl, with big chunks of beef, some sort of huge yellow pepper or paprika and big chunks of bread to soak it all up with. It was everything I had hoped it would be. Lovely.

After eating and drinking a couple more beers, I got some hints as to what would be interesting beers to buy and take with me, and I got 4 different beers I'm looking forward to tasting later on here in Oslo.

And that was that. A very interesting place, it had everything I wanted, and I left in a good mood, pleased and merry,

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Czech first
  • Polish first
“Sacred place for beer pilgrims”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

If you like beer then you'll be in serious trouble in Pivovarsky Klub. There are so many choices, probably hundreds of them and the menu looks like an encyclopedia of beer. My choice was a beer named Benedict, an unfiltered pale lager from the tap and I liked it a lot. I should also say that the pork knuckle I took for food was also very good and rounded up the experience. It's a highly recommendable place!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brussels, Belgium
“Typical beer bar : a place not yet found by too many tourist so don't spread the word too fast :))”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

Typical local place serving hundreds of beers in a relaxed atmosphere with relaxed service
Cool local food
A lot of laughter a increasing noise as the pintes are drunk :)
Enjoy

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Naples, Italy
“FAntastic food, the best beer selection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

6 beers on tap, hundreds in bottles. The food was hearty and the service impeccable. Only a few tables, so make a reservation. It's smoke free, which was awesome. And they sell beer in bottles to bring home!

Visited May 2013
Prague, Czech Republic
“Local pub that is always busy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We went in on a Thursday night when it was rainy out and it was packed. The upstairs was full so we went downstairs and found 3 chairs at the bar. You can reserve a table but we did not. The beers are vast and varied. I like dark and they had several different ones. Most were local brews and very good. The food was excellent, I had the venison goulash and the others with me had schnitzel one chicken and the other turkey. All were good, and don't forget to try the beer cake. The bar tender serving us was very busy but took care of us and we had a good time.

Visited May 2013