“A different experience to other reviewers! ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ristorante Vabene Pizzeria

Ristorante Vabene Pizzeria
Mala Stupartska 636/5, Prague 110 00, Czech Republic (Stare Mesto (Old Town))
+420 224 827 777
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,262 of 4,199 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stare Mesto (Old Town)
“A different experience to other reviewers! ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

Unlike a lot of reviewers we had a lovely meal. Just had pizzas so I can't comment on the wider menu but the service was very good. Maybe we were lucky based on what I have now read from others!

• Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
“Bad Food and bad Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We were looking for a nice lunch. I ordered a Minestroni. I had many in my live because it is one of my favored soups. But what a got was anything but... Looked more like a chinese soup.
Service slow and unfriendly. Have to say that they did not charge us for the soup after we talked to the manager. Still i wouldn't got back....even if it would be free

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Jamesburg, New Jersey
“Our Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

The breakfast buffet was excellent and, when our group needed to leave by 6 a.m., we were given box breakfasts to take with us.

Visited August 2011
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Aaaargh!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

This must be the worst ever restaurant I've been to. The staff is rude and unmannered. The food is really really bad. I had the most salty ever Calzone. Wouldn't recommend it (that's an understatement)

But the worst thing is that your order is taking *ages* to deliver, and we were not the only ones who had to wait for almost 1 hour for our food.

When asking the personnel how long it is going to take, they always answer: "4, 5 minutes". Sure, that is your answer to all the questions in life.

We complained all right, and we got our coffee for free. But that is hardly any compensation for an waisted hour in a beautiful city such as Prague.

My advice: walk on, there are lots of restaurants to choose from in Prague.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Oslo, Norway
“Horrible management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

During the summer of 2011, I stayed with a friend at hotel Metamorphis Exellent in Prague. Breakfast was served in the basement of restaurant Vabene, across the street. We had breakfast once – the staff was unfriendly, and the food was mediocre at best. However, we got a coupon for the upstairs restaurant, and decided to give it a try. It became our favourite place, and we enjoyed several dinners and lunches there during our stay. When I returned to Prague this June, I was eager to show my grandparents (who saw Prague for the first time) and my mom this great restaurant from last year. I remembered that service was slow and at times annoyingly indifferent, but the food and the prices were more important, and during our stay, we ate there three times. This was mainly due to the relatively short walking distance from our hotel (my grandfather has trouble walking) and all the loud music and screaming from the Old Town Square, which unfortunately was infested with football maniacs and tents from a car company during our stay (due to the European Football Championship). However, we all agreed that the food was good, which made us prefer Vabene to other restaurants, closer to our hotel.

The only thing we were dissatisfied with was the timing. We usually had between two and four waiters that were all, in some way or another, occupied with our table, and although they mostly kept running to and fro, service was often slow (which, especially on the third evening, also visibly annoyed other guests, who never seemed to be noticed when asking for someone to take their order), and dishes that were to be served together, came at different times. This happened during our second visit, when the coffee arrived approx. 8 min after we’d ordered dessert, while it took almost 20min to get our dessert. I can’t see how it’s possible to spend so much time making the same, relatively simple, dessert for four people, and they could at least have waited with the coffee too! The last day, we all had steak (which was very good) with potatoes. While the other three had ordered baked potatoes, I’d ordered fries, and my mom had ordered spinach with garlic and parmesan cheese in addition to her baked potatoes. The baked potatoes arrived on time, but the fries and the spinach (my mom could neither see nor taste the parmesan) were delayed. In fact, they didn’t arrive until we were almost done with our steaks, and that should be unnecessary!

After finishing my plate, I was still considering this my favourite restaurant in Prague, despite their mistakes. Then, something happened that made me decide to never eat there again.
While cleaning off the table, one of the waiters knocked over an oil lamp, which resulted in a stream of oil running towards my grandfather, who, fortunately, managed to jump to the side before getting oil all over him. Some of the oil quickly made it to the floor, where it splattered all over the table legs, and, my favourite handbag. The waiter cleaned up the spillage from the table without a word (a “sorry” would be nice), and left, and another waiter came over to us. We explained that my bag now had oil stains all over it, and that it was practically ruined. He asked us if we’d like to talk to the manager, who insisted I came inside, so that he could inspect the damage. I then had to stand there, under the yellow lights by the bar, while he was looking at the stains with most of his employees standing around him. He then told me that this was paraffin oil, and that it was used to clean leather, and so the spots should be gone tomorrow. I pointed out that my handbag was not leather (it was, however, quite expensive), and he told me that I could come by the next morning if the spots were still there. I informed him that we were leaving Prague early the next day, and he then proposed that I could come by before we left, give him the bag and let him hand it over to a dry cleaner, and then mail me my bag. That was all he was willing to do. I really didn’t know what to say, and although I knew I was in the right, I was standing there among strangers who could not see my problem. I went outside to my family, and told them about what he’d said. Then, the waiter who’d taken our orders came out, and my mom told him what she thought about this whole incident in angry, faltering English. He said he understood, but that it was not his fault, and that he could do nothing, except fetching the manager again. I felt sorry for him – I work with customers myself, and I certainly wouldn’t like getting yelled at for what a colleague had done, and this waiter had been very friendly.

We were then given the bill. The bag was worth a good deal more than the dinner for four, but they’d charged us for everything we’d eaten, and we paid and left.
Now, there are several things about this that I find annoying. First of all, they gave me the burden of proof. Because my bag might wind up alright, they were unwilling to do anything before I could prove that the oil stains would last. If this were a restaurant in my hometown, I’d probably accept it, because I could pop down and talk to them the next morning. However, Prague is not my hometown, and I was not willing to get up early the next morning, leave my bag with strangers, go home without anywhere to keep my passport, ticket or other necessities, and then hope that the dry cleaner would get the spots to disappear, and finally, count on the manager to mail it to Norway. I was not the one who’d messed up, and I should certainly not be expected to go through even more trouble.

Secondly, a sensible manager would have compensated us. He’d apologized and either given us our food for free, split the bill with us or paid for a new bag. He’d made sure that the guests were happy when they left, remembering the cleaning up afterwards rather than the initial messing up. A sensible manager would think that it would be better to make us happy at the moment at the price of a dinner for four, even if the stains could be gone the next morning. This manager, however, made sure to leave us all angry, and turning what was supposed to be a favourable review into a warning to all new customers. I, for sure, will never eat at Vabene again – I can forgive slow service and a clumsy waiter, but I can’t forgive a manager who has no idea of service mindedness or common courtesy.

So stay away – you can get better and cheaper food, better service and decent management elsewhere in Prague’s Old Town!

• Visited June 2012