“Excellent Indian” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurant Masala

Restaurant Masala
Pod Karlovem 1574/12, Prague 120 00, Czech Republic (Praha 2)
+420 222 561 021
Neighborhood: Praha 2
Burlington, New Jersey
“Excellent Indian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

Best Indian outside of London :-) Usually packed, reservation is best idea.

Visited January 2012

• Czech first
Prague
“Could be good, but suffers from poor service - also they serve food almost cold”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

The restaurant started well - when we went around the time it opened a few years back it seemed really good. More recently though, we've had one or two fairly awful visits, with one hour waits for starters (! how?), burnt bread and small portions of half-cold food. It was a bit bizarre on one occasion, as the owner was sitting in the corner of the room throughout and did nothing at all about the fact that he could see that we, and some other tables, were waiting an incredible time to be served, though the restaurant was pretty quiet. Has he lost interest?

It's a shame. The experience would instantly improve if they would just, for goodness sake, warm the plates and serve the food HOT - on-table plate warmers, seen in almost every UK Indian restaurant would be a nice touch.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Prague, Czech Republic
“Great food (when served hot) but terrible service - never again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

Having had such fantastic experiences in the Manesova restaurant we (as a small group of colleagues) were eager to try out the restaurant at Pod Karlovem, with it being owned by the same people we had no worries about making this the place for our small scale christmas meal before the holidays.

Upon entry its clear that this restaurant is larger and more elagantly furnished than the Manesova branch - it reminded me of the Indian restaurants in the UK, something which pleased me very much.

Everything was going fine until the first round of drinks arrived.

The first issue was the terrible service, the waitress was rude and did not even offer people another drink when she removed their empties - still this is nothing too significant and not really any different to the majority of other restaurants in Prague. It is however just one piece of a very problematic puzzle.

We booked in advance for a group of 11, which is a big group however given that the restaurant had well over a months notice and that we were happy to wait a little bit longer for our food, this should not have been an issue. I was wrong.

The starters arrived tepid (like most people I like my food hot, not like it has been sat on the kitchen counter for 10 minutes) and in a rather sporadic manner. I personally had the tandoori plate to share with a colleague, I did initially expect something similair to the one they serve at the Manesova restaurant (served sizzling in an iron skilled) however what I was presented with was a few pieces of meat (cold) on a plate - if I had known this is what I would be getting I would not have ordered as it was severley overpriced (it was at least 300 czk). This I thought was absolute robbery, even in the UK I would not be charged that for a tandoori plate and at least I would get hot food for my money.

At this point even though I was dissapointed I did not want to complain, nor did I have the urge to write a Tripadvisor review however as the night progressed these feelings further emerged.

Upon clearing the plates the waitress dropped mint sauce allover the floor by my colleague, even though it was everywhere (someone could have slipped and hurt themselves) and actually went on her coat, the waitress did not apologize or even offer to clean it up. At this point the service just got a lot worse.

After a long wait (which we did expect, so I will not fault that) the main dishes began to arrive. To our dismay the first lot of curries were less than tepid and borderline cold, these had to be sent back, whats more is the dishes were arriving 5 to 10 minutes apart and so were the side dishes.

Everyone was eating at different times, or were waiting for different side dishes etc. In all it was a logistical disaster, the serving process for the main dishes spanned over 30 minutes and included a lot of returns due to the food being cold.

For example my colleague had to have his curry reheated because he was waiting for his rice, when the curry came back, there was still no rice. After around 30 minutes the rice did arrive and it was stone cold - we were all under the impression it was some kind of joke because that was completley unbelieveable.

At this point we were all terribly disspointed as our night had been completley ruined by the unprofessional attitude of the waitresses and the poor coordination of the kitchen staff. We did ask to speak with the manager however only the supervisor was available, she listed to our points however attempted to justify this with various excuses - none which were remotly acceptable.

In the end the restaurant gave us a 15% discount on the total bill - this really made no difference to our opinions as it did not justify all the mistakes made above.

Sadly this restaurant has now become the office joke due to it being so bad it became funny.

Neither myself nor my colleagues will ever return to Manesova on Pod Karlovem ever again and in addition to this we will never be reccomending this restaurant to anybody we know.

In light of this I am still prepared to visit the Manesova branch however reading recent reviews for that it seems to have also gone downhill - yet I am prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt.

It pains me to have had to write this review as Indian cuisine is something I absolutley love and was always hard to find in Prague, I thought Masala had cracked it however it appears we are back to square one.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Moscow, Russia
“Too expensive”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

Staff worked very slowly, even though the restaurant was almost empty. To get a drink i had to go and look for the waitress who forgot about our request. Portion of food was small and too expensive. Really expensive. Within two minutes, a waitress suggested we order another dish, and another - that kitchen is already closed.
I'm most certanly not enjoy our visit there no matter how much I love Indian food.

Visited October 2011
Prague, Czech Republic
“Average food comes along with highly overpriced beverages”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

We ordered a degustation menu and were not impressed. For this price, we thought it was nothing special. Beverages are massively overpriced, which always makes me feel that the restaurant wants to mine every penny of your pocket.
During the lunch time (probably also the dinner time) they are really busy and the waiters keep you waiting for long even to bring you drinks.
The interior is ok, but not cosy. They play nice indian music thou.

• Visited October 2011