“Phenomenal beer!! Hard to find and a bit swanky, but worth it!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St. Thomas Brewery Bar - CLOSED

St. Thomas Brewery Bar
Augustine Hotel, Prague, Czech Republic (Praha 1)
+420266112283
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Brew Pub, Bar, Tapas, Czech
Neighborhood: Praha 1
Neighborhood: Praha 1
Nanaimo, Canada
“Phenomenal beer!! Hard to find and a bit swanky, but worth it!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

As a beer lover I was eager to try the brews in Prague, and I was blown away by the food and drink at this brewery pub. So much so that I had to try both their brews (which were among the best I've ever had), and we asked for menus a second time to order more food!

We wondered if this restaurant even existed, given that there were only two other reviews here. Are we ever glad we searched it out! Even though the most recent review was from a year ago, we thought we'd check it out. As we approached the restaurant, it seemed like the place had long since closed. Be warned - the Google Maps address takes you to their service entrance, which is on a long, secluded street without any other businesses and looks like the place has shut down. However there is a sign on the door which suggests the entrance to the hotel is just a bit further down the street.

Once you find the driveway into the hotel, there is a large sign for their gourmet restaurant but hardly no other sign of this hidden gem. When we finally asked a friendly host, he directed us past the reception counter and down the stairs, and there we found this outstanding brew pub...exactly as described.

The pub is trendy and modern, yet set in a hollowed-out whitewashed cellar with a medieval feel. Though the atmosphere is unique and full of character, at times it is a bit more ostentatious than any other brewpub I've been. I was glad we had chosen to dress up a bit before coming.

They always have their standby St. Thomas dark on tap. It pours like a light Guinness with a thick white head, but the flavour is more like a tasty nut-brown than a porter. I was really impressed with this beer - full of character and complexity, and not at all watery or generic.

Their seasonal beer at the time we went was a 6.8% unfiltered wheat ale. I'm not usually a wheat beer fan but this was so full of notes of citrus and peach, with a hint of bitterness - full-flavoured but not doughy or yeasty.

(The only other beer on draught was Pilsner Urquell which is available almost anywhere else in Prague.)

As far as food is concerned, we ordered the marinated chicken wings and hummous to start. The hummus was a small portion, and came with thin pita and vegetables. The wings lived up to their name - though there was only 5, the marinade gave them a mouthwatering aroma with the base of the bones individually-wrapped in foil to keep your fingers from getting dirty (I warned you this place is a bit ostentatious!).

We asked for menus a second time to order their mushroom risotto (delicious), as well as the buffalo mozzarella caprese salad and the beet root goat cheese salad (both fresh and tasty). I'd hold off on the Czech bottle of Pinot Noir we ordered, and perhaps get a more finished wine.

The food is priced a bit more than you'd expect for Prague, but not much more than any tourist trap restaurants in Wenceslas square or the Old Town, and of course this means you pay about half of what the bill would be in North America. The servers were friendly and well-dressed, if not a bit eager and green.

Overall, though I am used to a bit more of a relaxed atmosphere for a brew pub, once I had taken a minute to relax I could not believe the incredible food and beer at this place. I highly recommend it, and even though we almost couldn't find it, we will definitely be back!

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Kansas City
“Must do for beer lovers in Prague”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

Best beer we had in Prague, which says a lot. We were also able to escape the crowds (you pretty much have to know about this place to find it) & chat with our bartender, a native of the Czech Republic. Perhaps the most memorable experience of our trip to Prague.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere