“Great stay @ Deminka Palace” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Skretova 1, Prague 12000, Czech Republic (Praha 2)   |
Ranked #123 of 662 Hotels in Prague
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Great stay @ Deminka Palace”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

We stayed for three nights at Deminka palace and enjoyed the stay very much. Friendly and helpfull staff, room was spacious, clean and with a beautiful interiour. Breakfast on the top floor was ok, nothing spectacular, but good enough. Remarkable is the lovely museum like entrance and hallways of the hotel.

Location was good, 10 min to old town by foot, 4 min to closest metro station (Muzeum) where you could easily take connecting lines. We bought a 3 days valid ticket that you could use for metro, trams and buses (310 CZK). Public transport is very convenient if you do not want to walk everywhere. Many nice authentic restaurants in the neighbourhood if you do not want to go to the city centre for dinner.

A problem with the hotel could be that it is not too soundproof. You could always hear if something was going on outside the room, f.e people coming home, cleaning lady, breakfast preparing from upstairs in the morning. We were quite unlucky as our room neighbours had brought a barking dog with them and it barked constantly whenever it was left alone in the room.

Weather was not too good when we were there as it was colder than normal July temperatures. Lack of air condition in rooms could be a problem during hot summers.

But overall we can really recommend the hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
Liverpool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

Couldnt wait to stay here with hubby.. Place looked amazing on hotels site and sure enough hotel lobby and rooms were really nice, chandeliers were amazing. However very disappointed as before booking I'd trawled numerous sites looking for somewhere conveniently situated and near main square with room service and tea/coffee making facilities and wanted more of a suite/junior suite as knew there maybe times we didnt want to venture to far as although part holiday I was actually going there for a procedure.
I'd specifically opted for the room with settee and seating area and on arrival the settee shown on picture appeared to have been removed. Kitchen area yes, but as previously mentioned by others no tea or coffee making facilities or stuff to wash any dishes?? And on two occasions we'd asked about room service (also mentioned in directory in room) we were told 'no' and as with tea/coffee making we were told 'that involved too much maintenance?? C'mon what maintenance would a kettle involve and little jars with tea coffee etc. Ended up using a pan on hob and bought our own bits. Plus on another downside our room was situated just above a club, so hubby didnt sleep well at all where I can sleep through anything! Did feel too out the way from main old square and although wasnt bad walk in was bit of hard slog coming back in the temperatures it was.. and on that note no Air Con phew what a nightmare. Most of staff really good and I thought breakfasts were great and young lady and gent working there were really nice. Luigi was very helpful and let us keep room longer without charge which really was a godsend and we were so appreciative. This could be really nice place if they furnished suites a bit more and made them more livable as we were staying a whole week, together with sorting out kettle/tea and coffee bits in room along with providing room service as per their directory. Also re Satellite TV.. out of near on 600 TV channels, there were a handful any use to us, BBC News, Euronews and a few Europop Music Channels. Certainly wouldnt rush to recommend which is real pity as could be a fab hotel with the right tweeks.

Room Tip: Some rooms situated above neighbouring club and very noisy at times.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Sales79, Manager at Deminka Palace, responded to this review, August 30, 2011
Dear Guest,
We appreciate a lot your review. Negative points are helping us to increase and improve our services and our professionalism.
It sounds strange to me that no one helped you with the room service but everything can be possible, next time please ask to speak with a manager and report the problem.
I don't know if you report the problem of the noise at the reception. We have the special rule that anyone that is complaining about the noise has to be refund immediately for the night that they complain. We will try to do our best to show to our clients the real possibility that this Hotel has and i want personally invite you to come back and touch personally the improvements that we are doing.
Thank you also to say that i was very helpful, i always try to satisfy as much as i can my guests.
Wishing you a nice day,
Sales Manager (Luigi)
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

As for me the main advantage is location. Hotel is very close to city centre. Staff is very nice & friendly.
But breakfast is really poor & there're no aircondition in the rooms. Now it's okay. But if you stay here in July or August?..

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Sales79, Manager at Deminka Palace, responded to this review, August 30, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review. I hope other clients will find it helpful.
Unfortunately we have no possibility to install air-condition because we have an historical building and the state can't allow us to do it.
Hoping to see you again in Prague and of course at Deminka Palace,
Wishing you a nice evening,
Sales Manager
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

I visited Prague at the beginning of this month. I Choose this Hotel mainly basing of what i have seen on internet. The building is absolutely amazing i think it was built in the 1886. The room are quite and cozy and the stily is very classy. Service is also good and the breakfast on the top of the building was simply great ...So the conclusion...Nice place i would recomand.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

The outer part of the buiding does not prepare you for the beauty of the inside. The entrance is narrow, but impressive and the rooms are absolutely beautiful with hardwood floors and lovely furniture, which combines classic elegance with minimal design. No complains on breakfast, although nothing spectacular about it. Location is good, a short walk from the main attractions of the city center. Loved every bit of our stay in Deminka and would visit again

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

I picked this place as a second choice as many places I chose were booked out. I also chose it for it's " boutique" element and the TripAdvisor reviews. Plenty of my colleagues booked chain hotels at cheaper rates but got better value however!

One setback was booking with Expedia which meant I paid AUD176 for superior room, equivalent of Euro 140. Cheaper to book directly with hotel.

Cons:
1.I was in Prague for a conference, so it was it was a short train ride to Vysehrad, but it's located in new part of town, so a bit boring, & you either need to walk for at least 30mins to old town or catch train
2. The hotel was staffed by young people who didn't know how to help & the manager was only available from 12pm- of which time I was out
3. The hotel double-booked my room & I was told by night porter I was booked into another hotel on my last night of my 1 week stay. No apologies or explanation why I had to leave as opposed to the other customers. The staff were unable to help on 2 consecutive days & deferred everything to the manager who was never available, which meant I couldn't make other arrangements until 1pm the day before I was asked to transfer hotel.
4. They swapped me to a cheaper hotel nearby of poorer quality & weren't going to reimburse me the difference in money until I asked
5. Hotel was an apartment, no living furniture, had to watch TV in dining room
6. Cleaners never cleaned dishes or replenish toiletries- and it had a kitchen with no cleaning products etc
7. Breakfast was crap, fruit was old, most things overcooked. Friend who stayed in chain hotel Novotel had way better food & service
8. Not really boutique, hotel had tacky decor in rooms- large photo of HK & Australia... Go figure!
9. No laundry service
10. Minibar was very limited, no coffee or tea etc, strange given it has a kitchen
11. Bathroom has no shower curtain so be prepared to wet the whole place
12. No dressing table , only sink in bathroom so nowhere to put toiletries!

Pros:
1. The manager Luigi was helpful(when he was there!). He emailed me useful info before I arrived & was prompt with emails
2. Room was large especially if you are staying for more than 2 days or have more than 2 people staying as has kitchen
3. Secure, has locked door
4. Close to train station
5. Spa bath
6. Nice old building

Overall I wouldn't recommend it if you want value for money, my colleagues who paid less had better value in chain hotels. I saw plenty of nicer places on TripAdvisor for less( book early is my advice during spring season!)Not recommended if you want quaint boutique as it ain't that!
But OK if you have children and want space, then superior room is ok.

• Stayed June 2011
Sales79, Manager at Deminka Palace, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Dear Guests,

We know we had some troubles with your reservation but we solve it finding you another Hotel in the same location and the same standard 4*. You didn't like it but this one it's not our fault.

Also we paid more for the night we move you and also you ask for an extra refund....

A part this i'm not here to writing you all my concern about your point, but you can see the differences with other review posted there that says completely different things.

We thank you for your review, we can get always some negative point to improve.
Have a nice day,

Sales Manager
Luigi
Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

This was an excellent choice for us, first-time Prague travellers. You truly get your money's worth.

It's located right behind the Metro station, close to the Nat'l Museum and State opera (3-5 minutes walk to each) and within walking-distance to main shopping district/restaurant chains, and yet sheltered from the hustle and bustle of the main tourist streams. (The hotel is not very well-known and its entrance not too conspicuous--therefore be sure to have a map if you're coming for the first time.) Main city attractions by tram or metro are within about 10-20-minute reach.

Ample breakfast buffet and very accommodating staff. However, there is no "built-in" restaurant, so you can't get room service. (The hotel's restaurant is located nextdoor, where there is only a smoke-free section, which is not really free of smoke. But this is normal for Prague.)

Great quality rooms with good sound isolation (our room was right next to elevator but we couldn't hear anything). Free WiFi and welcome drinks.

If I had to sum up my experience, it was really like a VIP staying at this "insider's tip" (there didn't seem to be that many other guests).

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Deminka Palace? Share your experiences!