“Not for me (and probably not for you, either)” 3 of 5 stars

Mosaic House
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Odboru 4, Prague 120 00, Czech Republic (Praha 2)   |
Ranked #80 of 662 Hotels in Prague
Tallinn, Estonia
“Not for me (and probably not for you, either)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

If you consider a hostel to be a place where you can get a decent amount of sleep, shower, meet people, etc. - this is not for you. I happened to arrive on a Friday night and it was rather confusing where to check-in because entering the hotel is as if entering a night-club. The front-desk staff are completely hit and miss, but upon checking-in, I discovered that my bed was missing both blanket and pillow. It took three requests to the people working downstairs to actually get up from the chair and help. The next morning, everyone was friendly, professional, and helpful. The clientele, in general, seem to be in town "to party" and will be happy to keep you up discussing it. The rooms themselves are, as stated everywhere, really really nice. The private bathrooms are a huge plus. Strangely enough, the soap was "locked" next to the sink so if you wanted to use some in the shower, you would be out of luck. But I would rather have less of this flash luxury and more of a decent place to sleep and make a base in the city. For that - please look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Groningen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

We were with a group of 250 people and everything was absolutely perfect arranged. The rooms are very nice and the beds are good. The hostel is looking very luxary for a hostel and the personel were friendly and helpfull. The food was also delicious. I can recommend it to everybody!

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

This hostel is everything I didn't imagine. It ahas everything you need for nightlife; a bar, a place to dance AND breakfast.

This place is so clean, I actually feel like being in a 5-star.

Their staff can be a bit 'weird' though, when you mention something wrong (such as a power outlet not working) they don't really prioritize it and will most of the time repair it when already left.

However, this hostel is absolutely amazing. Would do again and again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Nah-Dja, General Manager at Mosaic House, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Arco, super review!! Many thanks for your help in getting us to get better. I noted your comment about the staff and will take some steps to get them to act differently next time. I appreciate you reviewing us a lot! All the best from Prague and best regards to Brussels, which was my home for almost 10 years!! :0) Nah-Dja Tien
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We stayed there for three nights and we were not impressed by this hostel. The lobby and the rooms were clean and modern and the location was good (within walking distance of the Old Town Square and well connected to tram lines) but that was about it. We arrived a bit earlier than the check-in time so we asked for bag storage and to our dismay, the only way to store our bags was in pay-to-use lockers. I have stayed in a lot of different hotels and hostels and never have I been asked to pay for bag storage. My friends were able to get a locker but when I tried to book a locker, they were all full. I went back to the reception and the receptionist acted as if it was my fault that all of the lockers were booked. In the end, I was able to store my suitcase in a storage room, free of charge but we were not impressed by the receptionist's rude attitude.

The room itself was clean and the bathroom very modern. Our room was very small however and there was no place to sit. A section of one of the bathroom walls was made with frosted glass that let out light, which made it difficult to use the bathroom with the light on at night or early in the morning. I wanted to save space in my bags so I did not bring my own towel. I knew that they were not free of charge (it was fine with me) but when I went downstairs to rent one, I was given a towel the size of a hand towel. "Mosaic house" towels were also available but their prices were unreasonable. My friends had to use the laundry room and had to pay the equivalent of close to $15 just to wash and dry their clothes. The breakfast (not included) was slightly better than in most hostels however. The hostel also doubles as a lounge/bar/club, so there was always some form of entertainment at night but if you are looking for a quiet place to stay, this place is not for you.

We also had problems during our stay. The second night we were there, all of our cards stopped working for some reason and we had to go to the reception to get them reprogrammed. This was done quickly but it should not be happening.

In general, even if the room and the bathroom were clean, we would not come back to this hostel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Nah-Dja, General Manager at Mosaic House, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Vacationtriptraveler. Many thanks for your last review of Mosaic House. My name is Nah-Dja Tien, General Manager of Mosaic House and I appreciate both positive and negative feedback to make the experience better for future travellers. I will check your remarks with my team and we will set up some new procedures to make a future stay better for all our guests. Many thanks again and happy travels. Nah-Dja Tien.
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We were quite surprised with the staff's attitude from the very beginning.

We arrived in our rental car and a staff member saw us outside; we opened our trunk and started getting our bags out and he just went inside and brushed us off... no offer to help...

Then they treated us like the border patrol with a very stark "Passports Please". I get it, I have travelled, sometimes you need to show your passport but there are ways to ask for them and that was definitely not the nicest way.

Lastly - our air conditioning was not working so we called to understand why. They asked us if we knew how to operate it - which we obviously did. Three buttons - make it AUTO, low temp, standard stuff. They came up and rudely explained to us that AUTO was actually 'on' - even if it was clearly not working.

I like the young staff but a clear lack of maturity is reflected in the way they treat guests.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Nah-Dja, General Manager at Mosaic House, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Alejandro, many thanks for your review of Mosaic House, despite the bad experience that you had. We appreciate all reviews and I particularly will take a big effort to make sure that our future guests will not experience any bad service. I am the new General Manager of Mosaic House and started already to implement guest service trainings to our young colleagues at the reception desk. If you feel like it, please contact me on nahdja@mosaichouse.com to exchange your thoughts directly with me. All the best and happy travels! Nah-Dja 00420 724 723 138
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

A friend and I booked this hostel for two nights at the very last minute, so the only avaliable room was a 26 bed female room. I was sceptical, but it turned out to be a great stay! Even though the room was big, it felt private and the newly renovated bathroom with four showers and four toilets made it feel fresh. Also, the mattress, pillow and duvet were very comfortable, since they are also new.

Had a good night sleep, but the night club in the buildning might disturd some people. Good location, close to old town. Didn't try the breakfast, but the staff was happy to recommend places to go to. Also, you got a bunch of discount vouchers, mostly on food, bar crawls and drinks.

I can definetely recommend this place! Just bring your own pad lock so you can lock your things in the locker....

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Lovely clean facilities and comfortable bed. Excellend bar and restaurant services. Located centrally to most of the major sights but still removed enough to not be too noisy. Close walk to main train station and nearby bars and shops. Also trams run nearby too. Staff are very helpful and the place is nicely designed and fitted out

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Been to Mosaic House? Share your experiences!