“A Really Pleasant Surprise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mosaic House

You added Mosaic House to your Saves list
Mosaic House
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Odboru 4, Prague 120 00, Czech Republic (Nove Mesto (New Town))   |
Ranked #66 of 663 Hotels in Prague
Austin, Texas
“A Really Pleasant Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I had read the other very positive TripAdvisor reviews, and seen some of the pictures, and still I was blown away to walk into my private twin room: It was nicer than most hotels I've stayed in while traveling in Europe.

I've traveled in Europe for eight or nine months of my life, jumping from city to city, hostel to hotel, and my three previous hostel-stays in Prague had led me to expect a very different kind of hostel experience. I can't vouch for the dormitories, but the private rooms are quiet, well appointed, and comfortable at incredibly reasonable rates.

Central location for all the sightseeing and good eating you might want to do in the city, but not next to any large thoroughfares or loud tourist squares. If you want a hopping bar and live music those things are right on the ground floor; if you want peace and quiet and a good night's rest (as I did), the noise from elsewhere in the hotel doesn't permeate up at all.

Oh, and it's very environmentally conscious (both superficially and actually) in its ethos and design, so that should appeal to travelers worried about the carbon footprint of all their airline miles.

Room Tip: I imagine lower floors might (and let me stress that I can't say for sure) be a little noisier b...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed here for something like 6 pound a night. I had never stayed at a hostel and was expecting it to be cheap and cheerful. I was wrong the place was like a four star hotel, totally impressed. Its in a great location and its a great place to meet other travelers.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

When I went in, I was greeted by some friendly staff who suggested I got straight to the bar. Rooms were modern and clean. Great place to stay... Don't hit the Duplex bar on a Friday night it was dead.

Room Tip: look out for the masks
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

i loved that this was an eco/organic hostel. at first the dim lighting bothers you a little, but you get used to it very quickly and it saves a lot of power as well. the people were friendly and everything was very clean. the breakfast was delicious and you could take as much as you wanted. the only bad thing was that the free tour guide in the morning didn't show up.. and we weren't told for 30 minutes so we just had to leave and do our own thing. there was good free wifi and the rooms were spacious.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Mosaic House was a very nice establishment.

ARRIVAL
They helped arrange a shuttle from the airport to their location, which was very convenient especially after an international flight.

THE ROOM
My room was very nice, although it was a double and I had to pay for 2 people even though it was just me. Making it not as affordable as some of the other reviews. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was great. Heater worked well. TV didn't have many English based channels. The room was cleaned daily, at least the bathroom. Even when I checked in I could see dust that had settled from....who knows when. Refrigerator did not work.

FOOD
I would recommend purchasing the breakfast package when you book, for the sake of convenience it is worth it. Typically it consisted of in house baked pastries, eggs, sausages, potatoes, some sort of fresh fruit, coffee/juice, as well as a cheese and meat platter. btw this was all you can eat.

Hold onto your check-in booklet, it has a discount for Belushi's, the restaurant/bar in Mosaic House. The lunch and dinner food was great, and with the discount makes it reasonable compared to other options. In summary the food was not a rip off and a great option to get started and get on with your time in Prague.

TOURS
Each night there is an organized bar crawl that starts out at Mosaic House, unfortunately on my first attempt to go out it was cancelled because not enough people signed up to go. The next day I tried to go on their daily walking tour of Prague, but the guide never showed up. If this happens look for alternatives. There are tons of other bar crawls and a daily walking tour that is free (based on whatever you tip) that leaves from Wenceslas Square by the "New Yorker".

SOCIALIZING
I did not have much luck meeting people at Mosiac House, although that could be a function of the fact that I did not stay in a communal rooms. There were many other groups, friends, and even a school group staying at the hostel/hotel.

LOCATION
Mosaic House is located next to several tram stops and a metro. That being said you will likely have to walk, take the metro, or take the tram for anywhere you will want to visit. Unfortunately, the staff were not very helpful in telling me the process or way the public transportation worked in Prague. For the most part the location is not bad, relatively central to the "Prague hot spots", but not next to any major destinations.

MISC
They have lockers that you can rent by the 6, 12, 24 hour.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on a higher floor, sometimes the party in the first floor gets a little loud.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Hillerod, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed here with 5 girlfriends doing our winterbreak. 250 people from my higschool went to Prague and 200 of us stayed at the hotel. Did not expect to stay at such a nice hotel when we payed so little for the trip. Nice and quiet even though we were so many young students who came home late. The key-card system worked brilliantly, and made sure that the amount of noice and strangers on the hall and right outside our room, was very limited!

The only negative was the double standard about eco-friendlyness from the hotel - but when we asked for a small towel to dry our hands in, this was not possible?? and then you had to buy a big one for 90 korunas per day. I believe it to be much less eco-friendly to use tons and tons of paper on drying hands after washing them... hmm.

Other than that - loved the hotel!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I like this hotel, when they received the award for the most ecological hotel, I was impressed... but, I stayed few times there with my friends and the service at the reception was not 100%, also, loud music during the night (but I've never heard to my room), also, superior with the terrace is nice, but tooo small... also, I do not like much a bath, and last time, I had superior (very tiny) with bath.. .grrr... now, I saw, the rooms are without breakfast... pity...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends