“Great quality and value for money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Designhotel Elephant Prague

You added Designhotel Elephant Prague to your Saves list
Designhotel Elephant Prague
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Na Florenci 29, Prague 110 00, Czech Republic (Nove Mesto (New Town))   |
Ranked #83 of 662 Hotels in Prague
Maidstone, Uk
“Great quality and value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Vising Prague for the first time, with friends, we found this hotel lived up to and beyond our expectations. Arriving late on a Saturday evening and new to the city, it was easy to locate from Florenci subway station and we were made very welcome. Prague doesn't really do late evening eating in the winter so we were pleased to enjoy a decent, reasonably priced, meal in the pleasant restaurant on our first evening. Breakfast was very good and really plentiful, the rooms were clean, spacious and comfortable and the staff could never have been friendlier. Two small glitches; it proved almost impossible to get a drink at the bar after 9pm and the big, impressive room TV did not work. However, small cost for the big benefit of staying here.

Travellers' tip: rather than get an expensive airport transfer, get the 100 bus from the airport to the metro, then get a yellow-line train to Florenci. Cost? 32 koruna (that's about a pound!)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Milan S, General Manager at Designhotel Elephant Prague, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear jecviner,

thank you very much for your stay with us and your contribution on Tripadvisor feedback.

I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am especially proud that you have find our staff friendly and welcoming.

Our Bistro&Cafe is opened until 10pm and I am sorry in case you experienced these difficulties. I will check this up personally and take appropriate actions to make sure our guests are well served. In terms of TVs, we did some changes as set up boxes were not working 100%. But our staff was aware if this situation and was always ready to assist in setting it up or calling an engineer in case of more difficult issues.

We hope to welcome you back in the Designhotel Elephant again on your next trips to Prague.

Kind regards

Milan Svara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Very clean and comfy room. Very comfortable beds and pillows. Nice bathroom. Breakfast was excellent with loads of choice. The hotel is well positioned for the town. The staff were helpful and friendly. I have nothing bad to say about this hotel and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: If there is no kettle in the room ask at reception and one will be brought immediately. Turn left ou...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear greenwich80,

thank you for staying with us and for your nice feedback.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and took all the advantages from its location, service and breakfast.

All our rooms will be as of 1st March equipped by tea and coffee making facilities with free tea and coffee. Until now we have covered approx. 60% of the room while having an option to get a few of them in the Reception.

We hope to welcome you again in the future.,

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

My first time in Prague so I am unable to compare our stay at the Designhotel Elephant with other options, but my girlfriend and I found this hotel to be relatively comfortable, in a convenient location just across from one of the main train and tram stations. We stayed in a double room with ensuite bathroom, the room and bathroom were clean, and thankfully we made sure that we asked for a non-smoking room - trust me if you dislike the smell of tobacco I would highly recommend staying in non-smoking rooms throughout Europe, as the smell really does stay in the room.

The beds were very basic, and quite small too, if you have the option ask for a Queen bed.
The bathroom is clean and tidy, nice hot water pressure and plenty of complimentary soaps and towels, heated towel rail too but only works in Winter I believe. The breakfast package includes buffet which samples the local cuisine as well as the staple Continental breakfast being cereals, fruit, toast eggs etc. You might want to get down there early as once the crowd shows up, alot of that food disappears!

Staff were very helpful with guidance and directions, and communicate clearly in a number of languages too, extra brownie points there!

All in all, a comfortable, if not slightly budget stay in Prague.

Room Tip: Go for non-smoking
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Evan C,

thank you very much for staying with us and for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the overall feedback is very positive. I would like to point out one comment here - all our rooms are non-smoking and the entire public space and restaurant as well.

Breakfast is rich to satisfy all different guest that are visiting us and we always try to refill it all back as soon as possible one the peak time arrives and the crowds hit our breakfast room.

As you mentioned we are offering great value for money which is the message we are trying to deliver to our customers.

We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Garstang, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Stayed here for a week with work and the hotel is in a very good position for the town, no taxi needed. The rooms are modern and clean. Very good value too and they organised taxi transfers from the airport and just put it on the room bill which was convenient. As my flight back was quite a late one they allowed me to keep the room on until 6pm for about £25 which was really handy. Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear JamesyP72,

thank you very much for staying with us and for your feedback that gives us also an insight from the business traveler.

I am glad that you have taken advantage of all our services, convenient location in the city center and that we delivered all you expected while working and relaxing in Prague.

We hope to welcome you back in the future again.

Staines, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

We had a 4 night stay in this hotel. I requested a new room which was on the 7th floor. Room was modern and clean. Beds were so comfy! Although we had 2 single duvets on a massive bed. Maids came round every day and done a good job of the cleaning and replaced towels. Only went to breakfast 2 days good wide selection although I went to eat my beans and scrambled egg and it was stone cold! The chef was more than happy to warm it up though. Good location about 10 minute walk into old town and 10 minute taxi ride to Charles bridge. Staff were friendly and spoke good english. Would definitely recommend this hotel and would 100% go back.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear lauren d,

thank you very much for you nice feedback and for using our services during our stay in Prague.

I am glad that your overall feedback was positive and especially that you comment our Housekeeping services positively. Sorry for this issue with cold breakfast, it must have been caused by technical issue with one of our breakfast dishes, otherwise we try to keep it warm through the entire breakfast time.

We hope to welcome you back again, you can count 100% on us.

Dereham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a 3 night break. The location was marvelous for all the sights; an easy walk to the old town and the river and also close to the railway stations.
The room was comfortable and spacious however it was too warm. If you opened the window the air con wouldn't work and if the window was shut the air con didn't cool the room enough. That would be my only negative remark about the hotel.
The breakfast was plentiful with a good choice and we found the staff very pleasant and polite.
Would certainly stay there again and have no problems recommending it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Julian C,

thank you for staying with us also for recommending our hotel to other guest and sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and found it as a good value hotel with all the services you need.

In regards of the room temperature, yes, we are going through very strange and warm February this year and our building is set to deal with temperatures at around -10C which would be the usual temp. for this time period. Cold nights and very warm days of +10C makes it a bit difficult and the building and AC just do not manage to cool and heat the building quickly enough. But all our windows can be opened easily to get fresh air in. Bathroom is equipped with heated floor which is also very convenient.

We hope to welcome you again in summer to prove that our AC works well.

Kind regards

New Orleans, LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Originally, I had reserved at Domus Henrici Boutique in New town, by Prague Castle. After making the reservation, I received an email from Martini at the hotel, offering a pick up service from the airport and a short note. I changed my reservation to the Designhotel because it was closer to Old Town, where many of the tours started. I did not receive any welcome email from the hotel staff.

I hire a taxi from the airport, thinking that is the best way to get a fair price. Not so much. I was unfamiliar with the conversion rate, and ended up paying way more than necessary, plus giving a much better tip than I normally would, especially since there was no conversation, and he seemed offended when I tried practicing my limited Czech.

Checking into the hotel, I stood in front of the desk for up to 5 minutes before being acknowledged. Both desk clerks were on the phone and did not bother to give me the slightest nod of recognition. When one got off the phone, I still had to excuse myself in order to begin the check in. It was a minimal check in. First of all, for some reason, there was difficulty finding my reservation. Then, she handed me some brochures, the key and pointed to the elevators. That's it. I had just about decided that I wanted to try to get a room at Domus.

This changed when I got to my room. I was on the 7th floor, and the room was very, very large. It was modern with a very comfortable bed and large pillows and fluffy bedding. The bathroom was a good size, with modern fixtures. The room was definitely worth the lack of customer service.

I had no better luck with the front desk staff for the rest of my three day stay. Every question I asked was answered very minimally. No additional information was given and I always go the feeling either I was disturbing them or they were secretly laughing at me. I have been to countries where the general population is not overtly friendly, but I notice that most higher end hotel often train their employees to act accordingly for customer service, ie. friendly and helpful.

I would recommend that they at least instruct the staff of giving some helpful hints of the hotel. For example, I saw restaurant menus but no instructions where the restaurant was. I finally found it my last night there. And the same with the breakfast buffet.

The worse part, was trying to get a taxi scheduled for the return trip to the airport. Again, the front desk staff were disappointing. I requested to call for a taxi at a specific time in the morning. WE went back and forth about how I should call downstairs 10 minutes before. I said I did not want to take the hotel limo because it was 6800 crowns for 4 people, and I was just one. But, in the morning, when I went to check out, the limo (town car) was waiting, and that was my transportation. The driver did not speak at all, except at the airport. He tossed my bas out, and took my 700 crowns and drove off. Effectively, he took 20 crowns without my permission. I guess he decided that was his tip.

This hotel has nice rooms, good breakfast buffet and good location. But, do not expect any assistance from the staff. I will not stay here because of that. I will next try Domus Henrici Boutique.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear tkd2022,

thank you very much for staying with us and also for your feedback.

I appreciate your detailed feedback on your service experience and would like to ensure you that all is going to be investigated and actions will be taken. Service is our key priority and I am disappointed with these results. I am sorry that you did not experienced it the way it’s supposed to be.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding our room quality. Thankfully this helped us to improve our reputation towards you.

Hotel taxi service charges 690 CZK ( 25 EUR ) and I recommend it strongly as in case that hotel calls any other supplier that costs the same amount of money we are not able to guarantee the quality of driver.