“Beautiful building” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Plzenska Restaurace

Plzenska Restaurace
Obecni dum, Namesti Republiky 5,, Prague, Czech Republic (Praha 1)
222 002 770/784
Neighborhood: Praha 1
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Beautiful building”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Our hotel recommended this restaurant as we wanted to try some good local food. It was good and the food was tasty but I think aimed more at the tourists. Some of the food on the menu was defiantly not Czech. The restaurant is stunning but was a bit disappointed as I really wanted to go to a restarant that was truly authentic.

Visited December 2013

• Greek first
Brussels, Belgium
“Spectacular art nouveau beer hall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Magnificently restored huge beer hall/restaurant in the basement of Prague's marvelous Obecni dum (Municipal House), which also features a beautiful cafe on the ground floor (see this reviewer's separate listing). Some will inevitably see the Plzenska ('Pilsener') as a bit of a tourist trap as it's a but more expensive than other Prague dining options. But it's worth a visit if only for the lovingly restored and fascinating Czech national revival early 20th century decoration and artwork.

Excellent Czech beer and a wide menu including offerings such as pickled herring if you're not feeling too hungry. Friendly and efficient service and the bill wasn't unreasonable.

The overall rating reflects the place rather than the food itself.

Next door to the Plzenska is the equally beautifully restored and sumptuous American Bar.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brisbane, Australia
“Nice setting but expensive menu and service a bit uncomfortable”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

The Berlin Municipal House which this restaurant is located in is just stunning inside and out, and the setting of the restaurant downstairs is very comfortable and a welcome shelter from the cold outside!

However, the restaurant is clearly targeted to tourists and charges about double what good Czech cuisine restaurants will charge located just a little down the road from the main tourist locations in Prague. I had the Czech style Goulash which was tasty but nothing special compared with much cheaper restaurants.

What made me feel most uncomfortable was the way that I was treated by the staff. As I was traveling alone I ate alone, but felt this was a bit unusual to the staff. They brought out a huge basket of bread at the beginning and cutlery and serviettes for 4 people with no explanation, just putting it on the table and leaving. I had to call someone over to ask if this was supposed to be for me and they looked at me strangely as if it was a silly question to ask, before saying yes it's for me.

Then I took cutlery and a serviette for myself and left the rest in the pile they'd left there. Two minutes later, a waiter came over, looked annoyed at me for disturbing the pile of cutlery and rearranged it back to how it looked before, before telling me that "looked better"...!!!

I didn't know exactly who the appearance of my cutlery was supposed to be impressing...but it made me feel very uncomfortable and out of place. The meal came out fairly quickly and was cleared away just as quickly. I had four different waiters serve me at any one time and each I found difficult. At the end I felt as if I wasn't wanted there and so I paid the ridiculously expensive bill and left.

It's a shame that I was unable to enjoy the beautiful building and restaurant for what it was and just eat my dinner.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Florida
“Great meal in a very touristy venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

We had been exploring Obecni Dum, the Municipal House, and decided to check out the restaurant in the basement. It is a beautiful space. Because of the location we really expected a bit of a tourist trap. We were quite pleasantly surprised by a reasonably priced menu. Our waiter was outstanding. First, he suggested we share the duck platter as it was quite large. We have some dietary issues and he was very helpful with them by offering substitutions for things we could not eat. The food was good and there was plenty for the two of us.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ballymena, United Kingdom
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Located in the cellar of the Municipal house, we love the food in this restaurant so left it to our last night to go there as our treat night. Showed up and it was closed for a private party. What a heart sinking moment. Then we realised that they had set up temporary in another hall on the other side of the american bar. Not the same atmosphere and no live music, but the food was just the same excellent Czech food as always. From the Prague ham, the goulash, to the beef and dumplings in sauce. Brilliant. Would recommend you try it if looking to sample authentic Czech food and beer.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Plzenska Restaurace? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Plzenska Restaurace, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.