“Disappointing Tour of Prague” 2 of 5 stars
Review of SANDEMANs NEW Prague Tours

SANDEMANs NEW Prague Tours
Prague 160 00, Czech Republic (Praha 1)
+49(0)30 510 500 30
Ranked #4 of 282 Activities in Prague
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Home of the Famous Prague Free Tour with some of the best guides in Europe.Both fascinating history, and a great nightlife - From the 30 years war, to the dark years of Nazi and Soviet occupation, Prague has some of the most interesting history in Europe and a great nightlife. Our tours take your through the streets and show you what makes Prague great. Our tours run year round and on all major holidays. Click a tour link to find out where and when to join us.
Montreal, Canada
“Disappointing Tour of Prague”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I had been on two other previous Sandemans tours and thought they were great, so I decided to go on the free tour of Prague. There were a lot of people for the tour, so they were broken into three groups. My tour guide was Kate, and I believe that she is probably a lovely person, but felt that she was not the best tour guide. As English is not my first language, I found her a bit difficult to understand. She spoke VERY fast and did not allow time for questions. The three tour groups kept walking into each other and were close enough to hear the other guides. This also made it difficult for me to understand and to figure out where my group was.
Also, Kate spent a lot of time selling the other tours that you had to pay for. If someone is on a tour to learn about Prague, then the tour should focus on that, not making a buck. She also took a good amount of time to give a money exchange rate lesson, which was not something I thought was ridiculous and unnecessary. Yes, one more thing that I disliked was her buddy system. I am 56 years old and felt that this was unnecessary and demeaning. I don't need someone making sure that I am there. If people want to leave the tour, they should be able to do so without pressure from the buddy system. One last thing that I disliked was that the two major things I wanted to see in Prague, the castle and bridge, the tour never went to. You had to pay for a tour to those places.
Overall, I felt that the tour in Prague was of much lesser quality than the two Sandemans tours I had been to in the other cities. I would not recommend it to a friend.

Visited February 2013
Mark Q, Customer Care and Feedback at SANDEMANs NEW Prague Tours, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Hi d f,

Thanks for your review, and sorry we couldn't make it a 5-star this time. It sounds like we did much better in other cities and you were rightfully expecting more of the same in Prague.

The team at SANDEMANs, as well as the guides we work with all read TripAdvisor regularly, so it is very useful for Kate to read that you were having a hard time keeping up with her English. Our guides are mostly native speakers, but a large proportion of our guests are non-native, so this feedback will definitely be taken on board.

As for the bridge and the Castle, guides generally finish the tour right by the bridge, giving you a bunch of information, before inviting you to explore it yourself. Doing so generally takes a long time for many first-time visitors to the city as they take in the views, and stop for photographs. The side of the river with the castle is a whole district in its own right, and as much as we'd love to show you everything Prague has to offer, we can only cover so much in 3 hours. The free tour aims to show you as much as possible including a rock-solid orientation of the city as a basis for further exploration on your own, or, with us if you so choose.

Please do join us again, hopefully you'll enjoy your future tours as much as your previous ones. Thanks once again for your comments, and please do not hesitate to get in touch with myself or the rest of us here at SANDEMANs if we can help you further.

Safe travels
Mark at SANDEMANs

• Czech first
  • Greek first
San Salvador, El Salvador
5 attraction reviews
“Great tour :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Amasing tour, friendly and nice guide :) i took the free tour (twice!!!), the castle tour and the beer tour!!! Was a fantastic experiencie :) very recommendable :)

Beijing
“Thanks Lann and Kate :-)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I went with Lann to Kutna Hora and with Kate to Terezin. Both guides were excellent, extremely knowledgeable and clearly committed and passionate about their adopted country. Minor hiccups like missing a connecting train and me falling over and hitting my head (!!!) were all handled professionally and without panic. Two great guides - I will rate you equally and thanks very much for making my holiday so enjoyable.

Visited February 2013
“Highly enjoyable!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was the first free tour I have ever attended - and I'm always going to do one from now onwards! It was the most efficient way to see the city and attractions, and you learn sooo much about all the sights you see. I had Colin as my guide - and he was fantastic!! Very passionate about Prague, highly knowledgeable and easily approachable! I did 2 tours with him - and it was great!!
I would definitely recommend joining this tour - and even the paid tours - like Prague Castle - learned sooo much and was never bored! Very well organised and fun!!

Corvallis, Oregon
“A must do tour!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

In a city as diverse and rich in history as Prague, a tour at the beginning of your stay is extremely useful to get oriented. Sandmanns Free Tours have carved a great niche in the tour industry. They appear to actually like what they are doing and are highly motivated to make sure you have a good time and learn about the city - otherwise they don't get paid! Kate, our guide was so energetic and knowledgeable we came away with more information than I thought possible. We are going back tomorrow for the castle tour, can't wait!!!