“Good hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Augustine Hotel Prague

You added The Augustine Hotel Prague to your Saves list
The Augustine Hotel Prague
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Letenska 12/33 | Lesser Town, Prague 118 00, Czech Republic (Mala Strana (Little Quarter))   |
Ranked #21 of 662 Hotels in Prague
London, United Kingdom
“Good hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

An upmarket hotel with a nice location not far from Charles Bridge. The staff were helpful, the breakfast was good, and the room was quiet. The only minor negative thing is that nearly all guests were foreign visitors rather than Czech, so there was no real local feel.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Benitachell, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

If I could give 10 stars I would - this was a fantastic dining experience. Booked for our friends birthday it was just the best food. We sat outside, the ambience was perfect, the staff were so attentive/friendly we had a great evening. What can I say about the food - delicious - delicate prawn risotto to start, followed by pork cheeks in ale and to finish dandelion cheese cake and asparagus ice-cream - way to go :-) The hotel look fab would liked to have stayed but was a little further out then we wanted, but well worth a return visit.

Room Tip: Sorry didn't stay here - just had fabulous food in the restaurant.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Loved the hotel. We had the junior suite. It was well-appointed. We relied on the staff and concierge for city and dining recommendations. They were always on point! Perfect hotel in a beautiful city.

Room Tip: FIrst floor was quiet
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed for two nights at the Augustine and had a great experience. We were greeted and assisted immediately upon arrival and the check-in process was quick and easy. Our room was on the third floor and very spacious and comfortable. Our package included daily breakfast, which was fantastic. It included items at the breakfast buffet, hot coffee and fresh juice, as well as a selection of a hot entree, providing a great start to our day. The bar area and courtyard were also quite nice and we spent an evening there relaxing. My only recommendation would be to ask for a room away from the tram line--while it is not too close, it could still be heard from our room and in hindsight I wish we would have asked for a more secluded location. Overall, fantastic visit and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Select a courtyard view away from the tram line if you can.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We spent 2 nights at The Augustine. We travelled with our 20 months old daughter and stayed in an Executive Room on the 3rd level.

What really impressed us were all the things the hotel provided for our daughter without us asking for it: toys, a play mat, nappies, cot, amenities kit (special baby shampoo, bath soap, moisturiser), bathrobe (yes a toddler bathrobe!), child potty, little stool so she can brush her teeth at the sink. They really thought of everything and we felt very comfortable staying at this hotel with a toddler.

Other aspects: room was very clean, the bed was comfy, and plenty of amenities provided for the adults as well.

Breakfast was included in our rate. The selection is wide, the quality of the food is very good and one can order eggs, French toast, pancakes etc from the menu. The service is quick and friendly.

The staff throughout the hotel is very friendly and incredibly helpful.

The location of the hotel is great. 15 min walk to Old Town across the George Bridge and 15min to the Castle.

We also tried the hotel spa. While there is no pool, there is a steam and hot sauna and relaxation area. The treatments were good. Staff again very friendly and professional.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Matej V, Manager at The Augustine Hotel Prague, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear eye82,

thank you very much for your review about your stay at The Augustine. We truly believe that our employees are the biggest asset and your recognition of our services is very inspiring for all of us! Also thank you for pointing out our great location between Charles bridge and Prague Castle. We are very much looking forward to welcome you back with us at the Augustine.

With kindest regards from Prague

Wilton, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My Family and I love this Hotel, rooms are wonderful, people are very friendly and helpful. We spend fantastic time there. Food is absolutely delicious. Christmas decoration is amazing my kids spend most of the time playing in the lobby around Christmas Tree ;) we'll love to go back soon.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest,

thank you for your great review about your stay with us during Christmas time. Your review brought us back to the times, when hotel was full of beautiful decorations and great festive atmosphere.

We are looking forward to welcome you back with us also during the summer, where you will see entirely different views of Prague.

With kindest regards

Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I had a completely surreal and shocking experience at the Augustine. It is the first time in my life that, after a succession of screw-ups, I have ever been "thrown out" of a hotel by its general manager. I am not a difficult customer and have stayed in many hotels in the world (from budget to top-rated) to my entite satisfaction, so I know what I am talking about. Given the decent Tripadvisor reviews, I was excpecting a good experience at the Augustine in Prague. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a complete nightmare.

There were two of us booked for 4 nights on a package rate which included F&B credit, free breakfast after the first night, and a complimentary room upgrade subject to availability. We had also requested a quiet room and an extra sofa bed in the room. All of these details were printed on my confirmation.

Upon check-in, the receptionist (Jan) told us that we had been "automatically upgraded" and that they had prepared a "very nice room" for us. I was looking forward to a nice stay. Indeed, there was a sofa-bed in addition to the main bed, but I am 5ft10 tall and the sofa was not long enough for sleeping on. They wanted to charge us €75 extra per night for a rollaway bed, which I would even have accepted, but when I get a written confirmation with a sofa-bed, in good faith I am entitled to think that it will be long enough for an adult.

The room also seemed a bit small for the category into which Jan had claimed we had been upgraded. I checked the room dimensions on the official hotel website and asked another receptionist (Marketa) to clarify. She confirmed that, contrary to what Jan had told us, we had NOT, in fact, been upgraded. As compensation for this "misunderatanding", they accepted to waive the €75 nightly charge for the rollaway bed and also to extend complimentary breakfast to our entire stay. I would like to insist here that I do not regard the waiving of the rollaway charge as a "favour", because the sofa bed had been comfirmed in writing, without any dimensions.

On the first evening, we realised that the room was very noisy (constant rattling from the tram line on the street just below). As mentioned above, we had specifically asked for a quiet room (also confirmed in writing on the reservation). I asked Marketa from reception whether we can be moved to a different, courtyard-facing room. "Sorry, we are fully booked until the end of the month" was the answer.

Because of the discrepancy between the truth and what Jan had told us regarding the upgrade on arrival, I had become curious and for the sake of good order checked room availability on the hotel website for our stay dates. Several vacant, non street-facing rooms showed up. This led me to believe that the previous front desk statements about the upgrade we in fact never got and the hotel being fully booked could have been (deliberately?) false. A perception confirmed by the night manager (Martin) who upon my enquiry told me that the hotel was currently only about 50-60% full. So I asked Martin whether, at last (this was now around 11PM), we could please be moved to a quiet room. He kindly offered one of the quiet suites which would be available to us from the next morning till the end of our stay, free of extra charge.

The next character in the plot is Matej, the resident manager. The morning after, after we had received the keys to the quiet suite and after the staff had transferred the rollaway bed into that suite, we were in the process of packing our luggage in preparation for the move when Matej phoned us. He said the move would not be performed. It was cancelled, because that particular suite had just been booked. Strange, if the night manager had assigned to it till the end of our stay? Anyway, who was he to overrule the night manager's decision? Overrule it as the move was already in progress? At this stage, I was livid and had every reason to belive that Matej was not telling us the entire truth regarding the booking situation eirher - he just wanted to give us a lesson. An intuition confirmed by some of the statements he made to me face to face (and I am quoting verbatim here):
- "There are some boundaries as to what I am willing to do for you. We have already extended courtesies to you [free breakfast and free rollaway bed] and I am not prepared to do anything more".
- "You are one of these customers who is used to getting what they want. Your behaviour is not acceptable".
- "I will complain about you to your travel agent".
- [after I had offered him to pay any difference in price for a quiet room]: "I don't want your money. No matter what we do for you you will never be satisfied. You can leave the hotel and our concierge will be happy to assist you with a booking at the Four Seasons or the Mandarin Oriental, where you will be happy".
- "Either you stay in your current room or you can leave the hotel and we will waive the cancellation fee for the unused nights. It is take it or leave it." (Excuse me? You are doing me a favour by "waiving the cancellation fee" for moving out of your hotel because of YOUR attitude??)
- [when I told him that the whole situation and his attitude were unacceptable] "I may have to ask you to leave the hotel. I have only done it once in my life, this may be the second time." (A threat to have us removed by security or the police?)

For the record, I note here that I checked the hotel website several times for availability during our stay. Plenty of non-street facing rooms were available that this resident manager could have moved us into if he had been willing to help us. But he was having none of it, and seemed just intent on showing "who the boss is". He was lecturing me as if I was some snotty kid. The whole situation was very upsetting and shocking, out of proportion for the overall very straightforward and reasonable request that I had for a quiet room. I am convinced that I was asking for no more than what I was in my good right to ask for. The fact that the night manager had offered to move us into a quiet suite several categories higher than our originally booked accommodation (though only €50 extra/night) must really have hurt Matej's self-esteem; hell, it must have hurt his feelings. I believe only this can explain the aggressive, arrogant, self-contained and mean-spirited attitude he showed towards me. In my view a treatment totally unacceptable in any hotel, let alone one of this category. I was aghast and speechless.

We left the hotel the day after, only becuase I could not find a flight out for the same day. Neither my travel partner nor I were able to get more than 2-3 hours of sleep on either night, because of the noise. Our Prague visit was totally spoilt. Not only because of leaving earlier but also because of the time spent arguing with the hotel in general and Matej in particular.

To summarise, if you have a minimum level of expectations regarding staff attitude, avoid this place like the plague. Unless you enjoy the prospect of being steamrolled by an aggressive director. On a side note, the rooms do not have any coffee or tea making equipment, which is poor for a house that charges €500/night.

Stayed May 2015
Dear members of Tripadvisor community,

thank you for reading that far and giving us the possibility to comment on this particular review.

Our main hotel principals are trust and respect and this is what is making us successful while serving our valued guests. We as entire team truly believe that people are the biggest asset we have, while operating the hotel.
Having said that, there is time, where we have to stand for our customers, our business partners and also for our employees.

When there are several threats and humiliations to our employees, there I see the role of management to back up and protect our biggest asset.

It is absolute true, that I, as a Resident Manager of the hotel asked the guest to check out from the property, since I saw this as the only and last option how to solve caused situation. We treat our clients with full respect and always try to do our utmost to meet their needs, in this specific situation this was unfortunately not possible at all.

I´m staying to the disposal of Tripadvisor community in case of any questions arise on mvyskocil@augustinehotel.com

With warmest regards from Prague and from The Augustine

Resident Manager

Been to The Augustine Hotel Prague? Share your experiences!