“Nicer as a cocktail bar than as a restaurant” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Strelecky Ostrov

Strelecky Ostrov
Strelecky Ostrov 336, Prague 110 00, Czech Republic (Praha 1)
+420 606 750 006
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Praha 1
Milan, Italy
“Nicer as a cocktail bar than as a restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We were looking for a dinner in a relaxing place and we chose Strelecky Ostrov. The restaurant is on two levels: downstairs it is an indian restaurant (with mediterranean touches, if I remember well), while upstairs it is more like a cocktail bar + international and czech cuisine restaurant. We had dinner upstairs in the open air (there were quite a lot bees, so if you are uncomfortable with them this is not your place!) and chose just one typical main dish each. The cuisine was pretty good (a little spicy if compared to the same dishes we tasted in other restaurants), but the atmosphere is more the one of a stylish cocktail bar than of a restaurant.

Visited July 2012

• Czech first
London, United Kingdom
“Unsuccessful service: useless for groups”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Pros: Terrace view is pleasant
Cons: Inability to serve our group all together (half the group had finished lunch before the other half received theirs), really slow and lazy service - all they cared about was getting the bill, average food, chips were cold, didn't have basic condiments such as mayonaise for the burgers (they could have made this for us if it was a proper restaurant), not exactly cheap either

A hungry group of lads were drawn in by the burgers on the menu after a bit of a weighty night out the previous evening. But the burgers jsut didn't deliver - the chips were cold and the meat was just average. A shame as the pasta was quite decent.
But it was the lazy staff's lack of attention, ability to serve in a timely manner, and, indeed, serve our group together as a whole. A short delay between plates is fine for a group, sure, but when your friends have finished their whole lunch and there are still a couple waiting for food it's just not on. Nobody came to explain that there was a delay or offer any reason.
When it came to paying the bill was the one and only time the staff were suddenly in a hurry. I was patiently counting out the cash - and this was a split bill, so such things take time - but the waiter just would *not* leave the cash alone. It was messing up my count, and I didn't need any assistance. It really infuriated me, particularly after such a poor service, that all they wanted was the full bill and tip. Honestly they didn't deserve a penny of the service charge, but being a traditional type I put up the 10 per cent anyway.
It almost gets two stars because hanging out on the roof terrace was pleasant, but that was on account of good company - not the restaurant or its staff. They didn't even say goodbye or thankyou despite the weighty bill, and we were one of only three tables there. Poor show.
One to avoid: there are so many beautiful places in Prague, including small, boutique restaurants, but this place - despite its striking exterior verneer and great location - is one to avoid. Don't be fooled.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Old fashioned service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Waiters obviously old-school trained - that is the customer service enjoyed during the communist regime. If you like service with a snarl, shrug and utter disinterest and cocktails without the inconvience of having any alcohol in them - then this is the place for you.
A great shame because it's potentially such a good venue - although the service and prices means that it's usually very easy to get a table.

Visited June 2012
Enfield, United Kingdom
“Great views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

We had both lunch and an evening meal here because we enjoyed the laid-back atmosphere. Like everywhere in Prague the wines are over-priced, but the food was fine and we enjoyed both meal and wish we'd stumbled across this place sooner. Service was slow but the food was very good value compared with what we found elsewhere in Prague.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London
“Nasty, money grabbing and rude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

I just had the most awful time at this seemingly pleasant restaurant, situated on a beautiful tree filled island on the river Vltava in Prague.

We had been basking on the island, in 24 degree heat, and went to the cafe/bar in search of ice cream and a drink. It was fairly busy but we had to wait a bit too long to be greeted and seated. The guy who eventually seated us and brought us menus was really cocky, and pushy. We ordered two Cosmopolitan cocktails. What arrived was watery cranberry juice in an ice filed glass. No taste of Cointreau or kick of vodka. I called the waiter over and told him there was no alcohol in our cocktails. He didn't really care and just said " THIS is a Cosmopolitan".We ordered crepes with ice cream and flambed fruit. The menu gave the price as 310 CZK each.

Our real issue came when we came to pay.  When the bill came, the crepes had been charged as 795 CZK instead of 620 CZK. Again, when I brought this to the waiter's attention, he just said "THIS is your bill". He then said "and no service added". I paid by credit card. The waiter went off to get the machine and returned insisting "No service added!". He repeated this a third time when I didn't add a tip to my credit card payment (I tend to leave cash tips).

He stood so close to me that I actually couldn't get up from the table.

My friend put a 100 CZK note on the table, and the waiter snatched it up and walked off without a word.

Some places will try and secure repeat visits and word of mouth recommendations. This place just wants your money. Service, quality and giving the customer a good experience aren't on the menu. I'd go as far as saying that a visit here could actually spoil your trip to Prague.

• Visited April 2012