“Best hostel ever” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 565 Specialty Lodging in Prague
Barcelona, Spain
“Best hostel ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Me and my friends have been doing an eurotrip for 3 weeks in this by far it the best hostel we have stayed, very friendly staff, also they organize a lot of funny events. I recommend specially the night trip to Prague castle, Kristian is the best.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This hostel was awesome! Great location, very helpful and friendly staff, who helped me with my bags and gave me a nice introduction to the sights! The breakfast was yummy, with eggs and sausages made fresh! I stayed in a 8 bed all female dorm, which was located on the 6th floor, (there is a lift) but it had incredible views of the Prague castle. Highly recommend this place!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed there with some friends for 3 days and we did on both evenings the offered Events, beer tasting and Castle tour. Conclusion: Cool hostel, friendly staff, the beer tasting was fun and the Castle tour by night with Kristian was awesome!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
downtownprague, Manager at Hostel Downtown, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Otto, thanks a lot for time to comment us and write so pleasant comment. Its great to read that you enjoyed the stay with us and specially our free walk tour to Prague Castle with Kristian. Thank you and we will be very happy to welcome you again in future. Greetings from Kristian and from all of us. Best regards, jakub, manager.
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hostel for 2 nights in August 2013 and had a great time. The hostel is very well situated downtown. I would definitely suggest doing the Prague castle night walk with Kristian - it only costs €1, which you will later have an opportunity to win back by participating in the tour (although everyone in our group gave our €1 to Kristian) and he takes you around most of the city and through the castle at night, which it amazing. It's great to get a Czech person's perspective on Prague, and Kristian is funny, knowledgeable and well-spoken. Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2013
downtownprague, Manager at Hostel Downtown, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Hi, great to see how you enjoyed your stay with us. You are absolutely right - castle night walk with Kristian" is our most popular event we are offering to our guests during this summer. We are trying to offer this tour at least two times in week as well as other popular activities as a beer tasting or cooking lessons for free. Thanks a lot for your comment and visit. We are very happy to have Mr Kristian for all of you 7 days in week for daily activities. Ahoj, jakub, manager.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

I thought that as far as hostels go- this is what I was looking for as a solo traveller. There were plenty of opportunities to meet folks due to clearly advertised events that were put on by the hostel as well as very open and inviting common spaces.

I have only one thing negative to say:
This hostel is huge and for the three days there it felt like a zoo. I understand this makes meeting people even easier but- at times it was hard to get to the front desk because they were so busy dealing with guests. There are six floors of rooms so they have the space but it just felt a little hectic.

Howver- For what you are paying for- its location and pretty nice accommodations- its great.

• Stayed August 2013
Hello, thanks for your comment. I am really happy you like our hostel although you mentioned some problems - specially in context with ZOO (i would prefer to use the word "anthill")…We have increased our capacity from May 2013 to offer more private ensuite rooms but of course - it means more guests that we used to have. Its something new for us and we are doing our best to serve the best services and information to all of you - what is sometimes quite difficult - and its the reason why we decided to add one more receptionist for day shift. I can confirm that we are every day better and able to be helpful for everybody. I hope You will visit us again during next year to see how we improve our services and how efficiency we are. Step by step beat all the problems and provide best service in town! Thank you, jakub, manager.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

This hostel was in a fantastic location - very close to main attractions and everywhere was walkable. Also a massive Tesco food store just down the road which was great for buying picnics, breakfasts and snacks.
The kitchen facilities were very nice and clean too, with a spacious eating area.
There were plenty of sinks, toilets and showers to use so there was never a queue and the water was always hot.

The negatives:
I found the staff to be very rude. When we arrived at 24.30 after our flight into Prague we were greeted by the receptionist saying "finally you are here, now I can go to sleep". This did not welcome us nicely to Prague and gave us a negative feeling about the hostel.
On our check-out the staff were also very awkward, claiming that my boyfriend and I had never paid the deposit of £10 per towel, which we were asking to have back when we checked out. We had paid the deposit and had to have a long discussion with the man on reception trying to persuade him to return the money too us. He eventually did but was very impolite.
I stayed the first 2 nights in a shared room. There were 12 people. One bed was occupied by a very old man and what looked like all his worldly possessions-he looked like he lived in the bed, and it smelt like that too. There was also very poor ventilation in the rooms so sleeping in the hot weather was very uncomfortable.
The second 2 nights I stayed in a private room due to the noise level in the shared room-this was much better and more comfortable but still very poor ventilation.

Overall I would not reccomend this hostel if you wish to feel welcomed and enjoy a sociable time. Do not stay here in the hot weather as you won't get very much sleep either! But in terms of location it was excellent. However I would not pay the price that I did for this experience again.

• Stayed July 2013
Hello, its not so comfortable for me to read your comment and i am very upset. There are two most important service which we would like to offer to all of you - friendliness of our staffs and cleanliness. I can imagine how you felt after the welcome words of our staff you mentioned. Although I hope it was just a joke (because our hostel i open 24 hrs) its not possible to do it. We will discuss this problem all together to be sure that it will not be repeated anymore in future. I am really sorry - as you can see-most of our comments are really satisfied with our staffs-i really believe it was bad misunderstanding. I can also agree that complete July was really hot in Prague so the temperature in the rooms were also not so friendly but this is the problem of (unusually) hot summer in big city. We are not able to manage which people are occupied our dorms (no bigger than 7 bed in one room!) but we are trying our best to move our guests if they would complain - i am really happy that you like our private room. As you know - our hostel is huge hostel with lot of beds and rooms so we recommend if you would like to have more privacy to book private ensuite rooms (which are really great) in advance. I will be very happy if you would give us one more chance to change your mind about our hostel - specially about our staff. Thanks a lot for understanding-we take your comment very seriously and will solve it soon, regards, jakub, manager.
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Pros: great self catering kitchen and large common room to hang out in. Reception staff helpful with local sight seeing info. Comfortable beds. Good showers - hot water! Location is handy to Old Town Square but not on top of it.

Cons: one washing machine in the kitchen. I asked to use it in the morning and I was told it couldn't be used during breakfast even though I had seen a load just finish. The doors could do with some WD40 - we could hear doors squeaking overnight as guests went to the bathroom.

• Stayed July 2013
dear Elise, thanks a lot for your feedback which help us to be better. (i am really happy you enjoyed your stay in hostel Downtown and you were satisfied with most of our services and staff). You are right - we have really washing machine in kitchen and its not allowed to use it during the breakfast time because of hygiene. But - we have already bough new washing machine and new dryer machine for our guests and we are going to open new special room to wash and dry your things without any restrictions till the end of August. I can confirm that our repairmen checked all the doors and definitely finished this unpleasant sound everywhere…thank you and i hope to welcome you again in future, jakub, manager.