“Very good resort for quiet vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Spa Resort Sanssouci
4.0 of 5 Spa   |   U Imperialu 198/11, Karlovy Vary 36001, Czech Republic   |
Ranked #10 of 89 hotels in Karlovy Vary
Moscow, Russia
“Very good resort for quiet vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

It must be completely different point of view, because for me it was a place for a business stay.
I booked it not as a part of holiday package but via official website 3 months beforehand. The rate was flexible (including Half Board) but still hotel blocked the full amount for the 3-night stay well in advance and my bank held this blockage for a 30 days. Not very convenient start for a business traveller (why not blocking only 1 or 10 USD just to check the validity of credit card?).
One more feature is the currency of final bill. The payment amount in reservation is shown in Euro, but hotel is operating local currency (CZK) using its own conversion rate (though quite fair).
The single room was tiny and simple. There is no free Wi-Fi in the room. You must go to the one of the lobbies to use free internet.
One more drawback for was inconvenience of public transportation to and from Karlovy Vary airport. Bus schedule is awful and it's only 5-6 departures per day each way. The taxi is only 7 minutes to go but drivers are trying to fool you changing the destination zone on their taximeter to the most expensive one (20 EUR for 7 min trip is very annoying, even if your company pays).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Jan K, Manager at Spa Resort Sanssouci, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Madam,
We wish to thank you for staying at the Spa Resort Sanssouci and namely for your appraisal and comments, to which we would like to respond.
• As regards your credit card payment, we proceed in accordance with the valid Payment Terms and Conditions, which are made available in advance. Because you have reserved your stay through our website, the system automatically verified the card validity. Subsequently the full amount was blocked on your credit card.
• For easier orientation of foreign guests making a reservation, the prices are indicated in EUR. In case you pay with a credit card anywhere in the Czech Republic, it is not possible to charge the amount in foreign currency only in Czech Crowns and we have no influence over this. In any case, the amount is converted into Czech Crowns according to the valid daily exchanged rate published by the Czech National Bank. We do not apply our own exchange rate.
• It is true that Wi-Fi connection is not accessible in our guest rooms, however, we are planning to make it available in the future. At present, Wi-Fi connection is accessible in all public premises and a cable connection is available in all guest rooms. All that free of charge.
We hope that we have explained everything, nonetheless, you could have approached us directly at our resort as we would have been able to clear any ambiguities immediately.
We trust that your overall impression remains positive and that we will be able to welcome you again at the Spa Resort Sanssouci – Gardens of Health.

113 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Canvey Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I was a little sceptical when my wife said she wanted a Spa holiday. I thought it was all in the mind that drinking mineral water was good for you. HOW WRONG can you be, I cant wait to go back, I feel so much better after 16 days of treatments.My health has much improved and I haven't had back ache for the last ten days. I found it a little difficult being the only Brit at the Spa and very few of the staff speaking English but managed. The treatments were good and I am surprised that we Brits do not take breaks like this more often, we just don't know what the benefits of a break like this are. My only issue initially was the food on offer the buffet was great, but I found the variety not really to my liking, I appreciate that I was there for the benefit of my health but found the majority of the dishes bland and tasteless. I did end up losing nearly 4Kg during my stay though but really enjoyed the meal that I had in town at the weekend.The rooms were spotless as was the whole of the hotel. The staff were great and very friendly, the treatments were excellent I cannot describe how much better I feel. I am looking forward to returning to Spa Sanssouci again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Jan K, Manager at Spa Resort Sanssouci, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
We are glad to learn that despite your initial doubts about your wife’s choice of vacation you became enthusiastic about this kind of relaxation. We believe that people should invest into health prevention programs and seek them, ideally, in one of the best facilities of this sort; i.e. in the Spa Resort Sanssouci.
Let me respond to you comment on catering. The main mission of our hotel is to provide spa hotel services. As such we make sure to prepare a balanced, healthy menu. Nonetheless, gourmets can try our á la carte restaurant featuring a show kitchen where supreme Czech and international cuisine meals are served.
Thank you for the kind words of your evaluation and look forward to your next visit.
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

If you would want to pay an additional $50 for email correspondance prior to your stay at the hotel this hotel will be for you.... They will charge you for that at the check out, so no details by email for those willing to save...:). I asked questions by email Dr. Frankova...
Also, like in good Soviet time, guests to your room are not allowed. Petra, at the registration desk yelled on my friend who came to say hello...
Enjoy soviet times!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Jan K, Manager at Spa Resort Sanssouci, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Felicia,
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay.
Let me respond to your comments that are rather brief and misleading and readers without further knowledge will certainly find them difficult to understand because initially we had the same problem. After checking information on your stay with our colleagues we would like to inform you about the following:
- The fee of 1 000 CZK (approx. 50 USD) was charged to you upon previous notice. Therefore, it is not true that we charged you this amount without any explanation. You were informed in advance by the head doctor in writing (email) and by your attending physician (orally) that should you insist on an initial medical examination outside standard working hours and on making a respective appointment for a specific time, you would be charged a fee of 1 000 CZK for such reservation.
- Guests can receive visitors in their hotel rooms, however between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. all such visitors must be reported to the front desk. It needs to be emphasized that your visitor did not visit you on a single occasion, but stayed in your room for several days without checking in at the front desk. The laws of the Czech Republic require that every foreigner’s stay has to be duly recorded, which we were unable to do. Furthermore, you refused to let a hotel maid in your room to complete a cleaning routine. You dropped the dirty laundry on the floor behind your room door in the hallway, which was found annoying by other guests who complained about the same.
- Our receptionist Petra is a professional who only required that you observe the rules which you had obviously ignored. She did not raise her voice at anybody because such conduct towards customers would not be tolerated. You could have complained immediately during your stay, however, you did not do so.
We are sorry to learn you were not satisfied with our facility. Yet we insist that your comments are not correct and as such are harmful to the good name of our hotel.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I enjoyed my week at Sanssouci and especially enjoyed the wonderful pool, sauna, steam room and treatments. We also did the water aerobics which you can purchase and add on to your stay and loved it and would recommend it highly. We also were thinking of doing the Nordic walking, also an add on but didn't have time but saw everyone else really enjoying it when we came across them on the hiking trails. It's a great location, only 3 stops into the main town area and 6 stops on the bus #2 to the train/bus station. So easy and quick. The staff was great at the front desk and kitchen and they keep the rooms very clean and the housekeeping staff are also very friendly. The food was great, loved the wonderful choices the buffets for both breakfast and dinner. If you are looking for a spa experience where you have all your treatments in place (although you have several buildings each connected from an inside tunnel and all accessible to the handicaped) and you have access to the pool and sauna/steam/whirlpool and hot/cold therapy pools this is for you. They make it so easy to just relax and if you can stay for two or three weeks great to do the wellness healing programs you'll be very happy. My favorite treatment was the Chocolate Wrap which I recommend to anyone to add on if you don't already have it on your list of treatments. And prices are much less in Winter and really it's so easy to enjoy this resort and this incredible city in winter so don't hesitate to save money and come on the off season.

Room Tip: We had a room facing the mountains out the front and found it perfect. Do bring your own pillows if...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Jan K, Manager at Spa Resort Sanssouci, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
We thank you for visiting the Spa Resort Sanssouci, for your wonderful evaluation of our resort and for recommending its services. We are delighted to hear about your satisfaction with our services. Your favorable opinion is priceless for us. We will be honored and pleased to welcome you to our Resort in the future again. We are already looking forward to your next stay.
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the blue hotel area (there is another building called the green area too) one night. Check in was very friendly although some of the receptionists only speak German which was not a problem for me but might be tricky I you don't speak it or Czech.

Despite asking for a Queen or King bed we got 2 singles pushed together which subsequently meant that one of us disappeared in the crack!

Decided to go to the spa, note that you have to walk in your bathrobe through the main reception area/foyer to find the maze of tunnels that lead under the road to the spa area. It's quite a way and some of the elderly found it difficult to find.

There is a mixed sauna and one only for women, a few nude people too. The steam room is tiny only enough space for 4 slim people and note that some enter nude here too. I wasn't keen on this as you don't have any possibility to clean the seat. They do issue you with sheets but these would get wringing wet in the steam room. You can add other treatments at additional charges. The water fountain and Jacuzzi only work sporadically but the pool is a good size and the ice pool refreshing after the heat of the sauna or steam room. We enjoyed the spa even though it could have been slightly better arranged and cleaner.

My biggest disappointment was the breakfast. We arrived at 9.40 and only 6 tables were occupied from the ca 70 tables there. The lady wanted to seat us squeezed in on someone else's table despite the empty restaurant and only after she saw my shocked reaction did she misgivingly agree to let us eat at another table. The eggs had clearly been there morning, bullets for boiled eggs, dried out fried ones. The coffee was not very nice and the orange "juice" was watery squash. I actually wished I hadn't bothered! By 10.04 everything was gone!

We paid 140 Euro for this hotel which was far too much. There is also no food available not even room service after 22.30.

The general population is about 65-75 so unless this is your age group I wouldn't bother coming here. The Imperial hotel looked impressive so I'd try that if I was to come back. The town looks nice but similarly to Brugge there's not much happening here or so it seems.

• Stayed December 2012
Jan K, Manager at Spa Resort Sanssouci, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
First, let us thank you for choosing our facility and sharing your opinion with us. Your comments will help us to improve the quality of our services.
We regret to hear about your communication problems. Our staff is currently taking language courses and can communicate not only in German but also in English and Russian.
Our beds are available either with a large mattress or with two separate mattresses. Unfortunately, we do not know your reservation details and thus we cannot find out why you were not provided with a king bed as per your previous request.
You are right when you say that the Spa Resort Sanssouci complex is vast. However, this is why all of its three buildings were interconnected with underground tunnels where guests can move in dressing gown; i.e. they do not leave the comfort of the building interior and do not need to change into other clothes. On all walls detailed building plans are displayed, or our staff can be consulted if need be.
The division of sauna procedures into women-only and man-and-women saunas was adopted in response to requirements made by a majority of clients. The women-only sauna is smaller and takes about 6 women while the men-and-women sauna is for up 8 – 10 people. The alternating of water attractions is set to please all guests.
Breakfast is served until 10:00 a.m. We regret to learn – and we apologize for that – that you were not served the complete assortment of breakfast. However, most of our guests as well as regular management checks do not report such problems.
Our room service is available until 10:00 p.m. After that time guests are welcome to the use the services of cafés that offer, among others, desserts.
Thanks to its spa program our hotel caters to a middle-age and senior clientele. Yet we regularly welcome sports teams, managers, weddings and many other groups of guests. Therefore, I cannot agree with the statement that our hotel is suitable for the 65 -75 years category! On the contrary. The wide range of our wellness packages is sought after mainly by young people who wish to relax. Similarly, our golf package is appreciated by those who seek active leisure time.
All information on all kinds of social, sports or cultural events in the city of Karlovy Vary and its surroundings are readily available at Concierge in both buildings; i.e. in the Blue House as well as in the Green House. We arrange not only cultural programs but also varied sports activities, trips, excursions, etc.
Prague, Hlavni Mesto Praha, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

A pleasant hotel with great views (our room was on the 6th floor) of the wooded hills and palace-like hotels nearby. The elegant rooms are just big enough but the bathrooms are quite small. Although a bit out of town, there is a free hotel shuttle to the hot springs area in town a few times a day (timetable in the room), there is also a bus No2 (every 20 mins or so, a timetable also in the room) which stops near the hotel. However, we used taxis which are quite reasonably priced (150-200 Kc; approx £5-7 a trip). I enjoyed the breakfast as besides the usual egg, sausage, ham, cheese stuff there was excellent porridge and semolina pudding, and mini pancakes on offer, as well as a good selection of tasty bread rolls, fresh fruit, nice cakes. We were too busy doing things in town (the annual international film festival was on during our stay), so no time to use the wellness facilities. Next time, perhaps...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Spa Resort Sanssouci, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
We appreciate your positive statement. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us. You are right. Being situated not far from the center yet in a quite neighborhood, our facility is an ideal place for rest and relaxation. We hope you will come back soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Good place to get your treatments. The bus stop is just next to the hotel.We had a nice view out of the room. We are coming back in Augustus this year.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
koutny, Manager at Spa Resort Sanssouci, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Thank you for your opinion. We are glad you liked your stay in our Resort.
We are looking forward to your next visit in August.

Been to Spa Resort Sanssouci? Share your experiences!