“More highs than lows” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Imperial

Save Saved
You added Hotel Imperial to your Saves list
Hotel Imperial
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Libusina 1212/18 | Imperial Karlovy Vary a.S, Karlovy Vary 36001, Czech Republic   |
Offers & Announcements
Vital Spa Package
Ranked #5 of 89 hotels in Karlovy Vary
Europe
“More highs than lows”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

As last leg in our recent tour of the Czech Republic, we stayed the night of 2012.09.13/14 at the iconic Imperial Hotel in Karlovy Vary.

As can be inferred from earlier TripAdvisor reviews on this hotel, guests, mostly Russian, usually stay here for several days or weeks of thermal treatments. I didn't use the spa services so my review limits itself to the accommodation and other hotel services.

The Imperial is a magnificent hotel (see photo 12). After having stayed during the previous two weeks at some other 4-star Czech hotels with a quality level way below the Imperial's, I cannot understand why this hotel hasn't got 5 stars.

We hired suite 566 with full-board at high season rates.

The suite itself were the best lodgings we enjoyed in Czech. It included a hall, two large, elegantly decorated rooms (photos 4, 6) with two queen-size beds each (more than we three needed), with each a large balcony (continuous with adjacent rooms' balconies) offering unsurpassable views over the hotel's main façade (photo 10) and the town of Karlovy Vary (photo 5), and two bathrooms (photo 9). It goes without saying that the suite featured all necessary facilities.

We arrived hungry and when lunch time was almost over. However, we had to fill in our registration cards before accessing Restaurant Prague for a buffet lunch. At the restaurant's check-in desk I was greeted directly in Russian instead of Czech, which is understandable since nearly all customers were of that nationality and which helps me brush up my Russian. The waitress was most helpful and nice. The food was varied and tasty, specially the beef tongue. We drank a bottle of Bohemian sekt for a very reasonable price.

Upon finishing lunch we were told that we had been upgraded to have supper at the à la carte Paris Restaurant. Notwithstanding, in the evening there was a considerable confusion from the side of the Paris' staff as to our right to dine there and what we had right to eat. After initially refusing us, they then allowed us in after a call. The waitress presented us with a menu with only two dishes, of which one was not available, but at the same time she told us, or so I understood her Czech, that we could pick anything from the buffet. We were astonished that the supposedly high-end Paris functioned as a buffet restaurant, just like the Prague. No wonder that there were few commensals, all of them Russian. I limited myself to the single menu dish, chicken rice, to avoid problems. My mother and wife made me envious by eating whatever they wanted and telling me it was delicious. Again to avoid problems, we ordered the menu's only dessert, a large portion of very tasty sorbet. I asked to pay for the drinks and to my surprise the waiter brought me a bill for the whole meal. At this point I got angry. I explained to him in my poor Czech as best as I could that I had pre-paid for full-board and didn't intend to pay dinner twice. After some discussion among the staff, he brought me back a bill for the drinks only, with his excuses.

Having read in the hotel infos that free internet is available in the rooms and needing to do some travel planning, I tried to connect wirelessly. It didn't work. I called reception. The receptionist knew little about internet connections and just said that pictures on the TV-screen explained everything. I found three rudimentary images in one of the TV menus from which I could only deduce that the connection was by cable. I looked for the USB-cable but couldn't find it. So I called the receptionist again. She sent us a man up to the room, which in the middle of the night intruded a bit in our privacy. He didn't know even how to start solving the problem but declared solemnly "Je nemožné připojit k internetu na pokojích." (It's impossible to connect to internet in the rooms), inviting us to go down and use the computer at the reception. Doing the travel planning in family conference in the middle of the night, it was inconvenient for the whole family to move to the reception. Then, after the man had left and when I had almost given up, I found it. The room-maid had hidden the USB-cable's support pad behind the TV-set in such a way that it looked part of the set and with the plug pushed back into the pad's opening so it was practically invisible (photo 1). In photo 2 I tip the hotel how to place the cable so future guests can immediately see it and know what to do. Thereafter the connection worked in our room, of course.

Next morning we had to leave at 6:45 a.m.. Breakfast opened at 7:30. Already on arrival I asked for some buns and a bottle of juice please to be brought to us in the evening. The only answer I got was a gruff: "If you aren't there at 7:30 you'll miss breakfast.". In the evening I insisted arguing that I had paid for breakfast and was asking very little. We then got boiled ham, cheese, bread and juice.

There were other glitches like we could get our welcome drink first at 21 hours (more of a good-bye drink!), or the parking warden was reluctant to let me park in an invalid lot although I had a parking badge and a wheel-chair badge. I want to be lenient with Hotel Imperial's shortcomings, wishing to believe that they are mostly due to the hotel being geared to travel agency group arrangements and not atuned to guests who order specific packages on their own. The staff was generally polite and accommodating, even if they didn't always meet our needs.

The suite costed 490 €. Full-board for three was 90 €, a ridiculously low price. Nové Lázně in Mariánské Lázně offers a better quality/price ratio (read my review on that resort).

Besides the spa cures, the Imperial Hotel is worth an acquaintance just for its history, architecture, comfortable accommodation and the beauty of Karlovy Vary (Carlsbad) and its surroundings.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view on the main façade
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
koutny, Manager at Hotel Imperial, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Mr. Ayala,
Thank you for your highly positive evaluation and comments on your short stay in our hotel.
We are pleased to learn that you rated our hotel as 5*.
At the same time we wish to express our belated apology for the misunderstanding during your dinner in the Paris Restaurant.
The guests who take meals in the Paris Restaurant can choose from a menu or from the table d´hote. Nevertheless, the table d´hote is only an additional service in the Paris Restaurant.
We truly regret any inconvenience you experienced with internet connection during your stay. We have already taken appropriate measures to prevent similar upsets form reoccurring.
We will be pleased to welcome you to our hotel sometime in the future.

133 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed there for 5 day during our stay at International Film Festival. It is a beautiful propery not far from the downtown but in a beautiful nature with forests arond you. Old luxury building but a little bit old fashioned. The service is not so special and the breakfast is avareage. Not good enough for 4 star hotel. Mainly oriented on spa tourists came from Russia. Rooms are spacious - you can dance in your bathroom:)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
koutny, Manager at Hotel Imperial, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Pavel,
Thank you for your rating and comments. We are sorry to learn you were not fully satisfied with the breakfast assortment.
Your evaluation gives us important information that will be reflected on in our pursuit of the ongoing improvement of our services that are always customer-oriented.
We will be pleased if we remain in your good graces and have an opportunity to welcome you as our guest sometime in the future.
Trondheim, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

This is a very beautiful hotel with a lot of old luxury design. The first impression you get is wonderful, when you are welcomed by the very helpful and friendly staff at the reception.
All this is ruined by the cold attitude you get at the spa centre and at the restaurant Prague. The food at the restaurant seems to be bought at the local supermarket and warmed up. Poor and not tasty. The dishes lack imagination. They said it was a special dietary food. Well, as far as I know, dietary food does not need to taste salt ang gum. The salad bar is very poor.
The room-service lady comes into the room quite early without knocking.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Manager at Hotel Imperial, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear Linda,
thank you for your stay and evaluation.
We are sorry you were not satisfied with our services. Regarding your comment about the scope and the quality of meals in Restaurant Prague we would like to point out that all ingredients are of the top quality. In addition, technological procedures used in preparation comply with the modern trends of the current gastronomy.
Our guests can choose from two soups, several main courses, side dishes and grilled vegetables. A rich salad bar is also included. There are also desserts or ice cream.
With regards to our staff entering our guests' rooms, they always knock before entering a hotel room.
This is the main principle that every employee must observe. There may be situations when the guests do not hear the staff while being in the bathroom or in the balcony. When guests do not want to be disturbed by the staff, they can hang a sign on the outer handle of the hotel door with the text "Do not disturb" that can be found in all rooms.
It is also important to point out that the hotel manager was settling the mentioned requirements and similar ones personally with you when you were staying in Hotel Imperial.
Aabenraa, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

This is a 4 star hotel, with 5 star prises, and to star service.
It is Embarrassing to experience that you have payedthis much money and cant get a refund for a day, and when they specialice in healtcare, they do not even put signs on what food they serve at breakfast, dinners or any kind of meal....
And also you cannot ask for any help because the staf only speak RUSSIAN and Tjeck!!!
My only word is "Embarrassing"...
WE will NEVER come again...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
, Manager at Hotel Imperial, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Dear Jan,
Thank you for choosing to stay in Hotel Imperial. We are sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. It’s a pity you did not communicate your comments and suggestions during your stay in the hotel. We would have done our best to deal with your complaints to your satisfaction.
The hotel staff speaks German and English too and other guests appreciate its services and language skills (e.g. a review posted by Alexander from Munich on September 18, 2011).
However, we admit that an employee may fail to understand a quest’s wish or requirement exactly. Then it is good to bear in mind that one of hotel managers who are fluent in English is always present on site.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

I never write hotel reviews but this time i just cant ignore it and help people to choose the best hotel in Karlovy Vary. I stayed in Imperial 15 days, got medical package with full board.Personnel is very kind and helpful, Balneo center where you get your treatments is very clean. Food is nice. There are some guests is the hotel who never satisfied and always complain instead of taking rest and enjoying vacations, but you just can ignore them since they are old and jealous. :) Very next day doctor explained me how and which mineral water i must drink before food, he was very polite and checked all my medical history as i had my file with me. I didnt pay anything for laboratory tests. results was told to me very next day and final report given when i was checking out. Location of the hotel is perfect. I was afraid that it will be far from kolonade (waters), but its only 10-15 minutes walk (depends on your speed) which is very healthy plus its is very good to lose some fat from your body (im sure every lady think of it). In contract to other hotels Imperial located on the top and you can feel the difference in the cleaness of the air when you reach hotel. Some of my friends was saying that you wil get tired to go up and down to the city, but there is subway which you can use free of charge during your stay and two bus lines 2nd and 13th (if you want to explore karlovy Vary). Little bit about time consumption: after breakfast treatments (so basically you busy till lunch), after lunch you can have some coffe or tea in Cafe Vienna (very nice and relaxing), tehn you can have city walk for 2-3 hours till dinner. After dinner you can rest or go to swimming pool (clean and has underwater massage), sauna,jacuzzi. If you are in mood to stay late but dont want to go far, there is Bar Imperial (english style) open till 2:00 or 3:00am (everyday they have some entartainment program from 8:00-10:30). There are really many things i could say about the hotel. But one is most important that you will not regret a second if you go to Imperial. I relaxed and full of energy till my next vacation :)

Room Tip: I didnt see all rooms, but noone from the visitors complained, as i was asking them about it:) If y...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
koutny, Manager at Hotel Imperial, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Thank you for your rating and full comments.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Hotel Imperial in Karlovy Vary.
We look forward to your next visit.
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

We spent two weeks with my wife and our two children at the Imperial for Medical Wellness including full board and 2-3 spa treatments per day. Was a fantastic experience, we are delighted and will come back in spring.

The location is perfect with a stunning panorama view from I guess every guestroom overlooking Karlovy Vary and the beautiful nature. Lots of international guests among 40 and 55 years. A kind of elevantor or subway connects the park of the with the famous Mill Collonades in downtown.

The hotel is an excellent choice also for tennis and golf. They have five tennis courts in the park and two beautiful championship golf courses nearby (5km and ca 8 km by car). The swimming pool and the whirlpools are very nice with great panorama view. The sauna is OK, but I would appreciate a variety of saunas and a steam bath. I miss some

The Imperial Club is great place with live dance music in the evening and lots of cozy atmosphere at the fireplace. Watch the event callendar, the hotel offers a variety of performances by musicians (jazz, soul).

The medical services are excellent. The staff speaks fluently german and english. The doctors are very friendly and competent. The treatments are well done in clean, modern ambience. The programme of treatments was tailored to our needs. After two weeks at the Imperial we are well relaxed!

The food is delicious. We have chosen the intimate gourmet restaurant Paris. Excellent fish, fruits and vegetables. Once at the Imperial Club we have chosen a steak - very good.

The staff in the restaurant and at the reception is very friendly. We have booked a standard room, but they have given us an especially spacios family room with a huge bathroom, that was great to enjoy the two weeks in this comfortable ambience together with our children. Thank you a lot!! We will visit you again.

Alex.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
koutny, Manager at Hotel Imperial, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Dear Alex,
Thank you for your rating and comments. We are happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay in the Imperial hotel. It is our priority to provide high-quality services.
Next year the Imperial hotel Sport center will undergo reconstruction which will change its environment into a more modern and enjoyable place.
We hope to welcome you to our Imperial hotel in the future.
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

This was a last minute decision for us. Rooms were a little pricey but the hotel is beautiful and so are the grounds. We walked a lot! The town is enchanting. Our room had a perfect view of the city with a very nice balcony. The staff were ok, not great. They did speak English but not very friendly. Breakfast was fantastic!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
koutny, Manager at Hotel Imperial, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Dear Rosemary,
Thank you for your rating and comments. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in the Imperial hotel.
We make our utmost efforts to continually improve our staff’s language skills.
I believe that next time you stay in our hotel their better communication skills will be a pleasant surprise for you.

Been to Hotel Imperial? Share your experiences!