“Just right!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Old Inn

You added Hotel Old Inn to your Saves list
Hotel Old Inn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Namesti Svornosti 12, Cesky Krumlov 38101, Czech Republic   |
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Cesky Krumlov
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Just right!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Having stayed in Hotel Old Inn for a night in October 2012, me and my wife wished we had scheduled at least another night there. The town is just out of the world and the quaintness of the hotel matches it.

The staff was welcoming and fluent in English. The room had a huge window opening right on to the main square of the town. Having gone around the small beautiful town several times, we could sit inside our room next to our window with a drink in the evening and a cup of tea early in the morning, and yet not miss out on any action outside.

There may have been small glitches with the accommodation, but overall we were comfortable, warm and felt like a part of the history of the hotel, which I am sure exists. The huge plus factor is that the moment you step out of the hotel, you are bang in the middle of everything that the town offers.

A small piece of advice to the management though - please have some food available for the guests till about 10.30 PM as it gets very difficult to get food in the town after 8.30 PM. This can specially be helpful to the late arrivals.

Room Tip: Must get a room with a view of the Town Square.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
pelikan_michal, Manager at Hotel Old Inn, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Madame/Sir,
thank you for your recent stay at the Old Inn hotel and for your valuable comments.
We appreciate, that you were satisfied and enjoyed your stay with us.

We are sorry, that you did not visit our unique underground Katakomby grill restaurant - just below the Old Inn hotel, where the kitchen with full menu offer is open untill midnight every day of the week.

Hopefully you will be our guest in the future again and would be able to take advantage of all our services.

With kind regards

Michal Pelikán, Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
New York state
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Hotel location was perfect; right on the town square across from the Tourist Information Office.
I found a discounted rate for a single room on the Internet. No complaint. I received what I expected: a small clean room that would be OK for one night. The included breakfast was quite good, except for the watery juices. I did not use the Wi-Fi. Cable TV included CNN and several local sport channels.
So, pretty much what I would expect from a small hotel in small town. I left my luggage at the hotel after check out. There were several attractions to see and my bus was not scheduled out until 5 PM. At the end of the day, I stopped by the hotel to pick up my luggage and the desk clerk asked if I was headed to the bus station. I said yes. And she asked if I would like the hotel car to drive me there. This was an incredible offer. The bus station is on a hill overlooking the town. The offer to take me there saved me a long steep climb over cobble stone streets. I almost changed my review to a full five stars based on that alone. I can not remember the last time a hotel offered to help me without my asking first. If there is anything average about this hotel, they made up for it with that ride up the hill. Thank you so very much. It was truly appreciated.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Madame/Sir,
we really appreciate your time to write down such nice review and thank you for your recent stay at the Old Inn hotel.
We pride ourselves on a personal approach to our guests and we are always subservient to amplify the impression of staying in the Old Inn hotel, which is appreciated by our clients.

We hope to welcome you again in one of our Jan hotels in the future!

With kind regards

Michal Pelikán, Sales Manager
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Face reality. This is a very small town and there are no 5 star hotels at all. From what is available, this hotel is the most central, right in the town square. I have attached photos to prove it. The hotel is old and the room is also of an old design with old furniture and old electronic equipment (TV, kettle, etc).

Porter service is very slow as there is only one guy handling it (as far as I can tell); so I carried my two suitcases (for my wife and I) on my own (at time of check-in and at time of check-out).

Included breakfast - get there early to be ahead of the large tourist crowds. Also, the quality is mediocre.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view to the Town Square. See photos attached. The view is good.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Iasi, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed for one night at Old Inn Hotel in Cesky Krumlov on our way to Prague. The check-in was fast and the staff was very helpful (English language was not a problem for them). The room was spacious and we had a perfect view over the old city center (the position of the hotel is perfect if you want to take the pulse of the old city). Regarding the bathroom, it was a little bit small (we had a shower instead of a tub).
The room furniture was too old and exceeded by the demands of a four-star hotel, even if it's called "Old Inn". The Wi-Fi signal was very bad, almost nonexistent, and we couldn't connect all the time through the cable connection.
Breakfast was tasty and various.
Finally, if you come by car, you should know that the hotel parking place it's outside the old city, but the hotel provides transportation from the parking place to hotel and the other way around.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the old town square.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I do not think that people should be allowed to advertise that they have a swimming pool when they do not. There is one in the photos and there is one in the brochure. The pool is actually across town in the sister hotel. There is no bar at the hotel, and you cannot get a drink of tea or coffee or anything in fact during the day. Having said that, there are plenty of bars around, and we found the rooms very comfortable and warm. The hotel is in the main town square which is a very convenient location. Invariably you have to get the bus to Cesky, and the bus station is 1/2 mile hike up a cobbled street. The train station is about a mile. The hotel were unable to offer any help with the bags to the bus station which I think is a pretty poor show, they ought to have some help.
We stayed 2 nights and it is a nice hotel (or should I say B&B) Would we go back to this hotel? probably not, the town is not that big, just get a room nearer the bus station. Would I go back to Cesky? Definitely it is a wonderful place, there are some really interesting things to see. Be aware smoking is allowed in bars and restaurants,

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Long Jetty, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

When we arrived at 1130 at the Hotel Old Inn in Cesky Krumlov we received a somewhat curt greeting that we were early and could not check in. No problem with that It’s the way the message was delivered. I felt like a naughty schoolboy about to be hit with the cane.
Check in at 2pm was courteous but not what I would call friendly. The room was spacious with a separate toilet and bathroom. It had two single beds, wardrobe, a fridge in a cabinet beneath the TV, a table and 2 chairs and a window looking out over a cobblestone street.
But, room 151 has the noisiest floor I have ever walked on – creaking boards the length and breadth of the room would wake the dead. The wooden-frame beds also creaked loudly – every time I turned over I woke myself up. Forget any other bed antics – it would have woken all the guests. The toilet door also creaks quite loudly when you close it. Now think of those things at 2am when your partner is trying to sleep – impossible!
The room fridge seemed to be running continuously and its compressor was also noisy. It was in a cabinet with an open back. It was angled back across a corner of the room and about 30cm from the corner so the walls acted like a speaker, amplifying the noise.
Through the evening there was an intermittent noise that sounded like someone put an old vacuum cleaner outside the room door and turned it on for 3 seconds. This continued until about 2100 then stopped. But it happened again twice at 0512. I worked it out later. It was a hand blow-dryer in the downstairs toilets, but the noise was quite intrusive.
WiFi was also a major problem. My wife’s Ipad connected ok, but my netbook would not. Trying to resolve it with reception staff didn’t solve anything so I finally went out to a coffee shop to connect. No problem. When I returned to the hotel I used my plug-in cable to make the connection – then no problems in the evening, but couldn’t connect in the morning. The WiFi was also unworkably slow on my wife’s Ipad in the morning. Now all these things may only be a problem in room 151. I didn't see any other rooms so can't pass an opinion.
Breakfast was superb. A huge spread of hot and cold offerings tempted the hungry. The Old Inn is right in the heart of Cesky Krumlov and can be difficult to get to if you’re an independent traveller. It’s a long way from the train and bus stations, so think about that. The hotel emailed that we should get a taxi from the station, but when the train arrived there were no taxis at the station. We caught the city bus, but still had to pull our bags over half a kilometre of cobblestone streets to the hotel.
In conclusion, The Hotel Old Inn gave us the worst room, beds & WiFi experience of our trip with its only positive point being the breakfast. Could I recommend it? No. Would I stay there again? Never.

Room Tip: Do NOT get room 151
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sierra Madre, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We are used to european hotels having stairs, but we were traveling with an older person and they gave us a room on the 3rd floor and the elevator only went to the 2nd floor. Then in her room there were two levels for a single room, CRAZY! The wi-fi did not work for my iPad in the lobby and they had no suggestions to help me. Finally it did work, so not sure what the issue was. But the hotel is in a great location and easy walking distance to the town and the castle. Breakfast was adequate, but one day it was jammed with tour groups and all the tables had been taken and the buffet was empty of many items. You just have to time it that you are not eating when a tour group is eating. Otherwise the staff was friendly although they had no information about touring the castle and gave us wrong information saying we could buy tickets in the morning at the information office across the square from the hotel. In fact when we went there they actually said we have no information about the castle, which seems kind of odd since they are a tourist office and the castle is the key attraction.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the first or second floor if you need the elevator
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family