“Great honeymoon and beautiful beach!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Secret Harbour Beach Resort

You added Secret Harbour Beach Resort to your Saves list
Secret Harbour Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6280 Estate Nazareth | Nazareth Bay, Benner 00802, St. Thomas   |
Offers & Announcements
20% off St Thomas Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Benner
Wyalusing, Pennsylvania
“Great honeymoon and beautiful beach!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

My husband and I spent 10 days at Secret Harbour for our honeymoon. Check in was quick and easy. Part of the hotel is built on a hill, so they had a guy with a golf cart take our bags to the room, which was very nice. The room was fairly standard but had a deck with a beautiful view. We recommend staying in the rooms on the hill because if you were in one of the rooms on the beach, you may have trees blocking your view, plus it is not as quiet. The beach is absolutely incredible, and the snorkeling is very good (you can rent snorkel gear at the dive shop which is on site). The beach bar (Cruzan beach club) has great food. We ate there almost every night because it costs $20 minimum to go to the closest town (Red Hook) in a taxi ($5 per person, one way). You can't walk because they are crazy drivers and there is hardly any space on the sides of the roads! The pool at Secret Harbour is not in the best of locations, but who needs a pool when the beach is so amazing. The water is so calm and crystal clear, swimming in a pool is a waste. I can't say enough about the beach. The beach and the dive shop alone make it worth staying here. The price of the room was around what we were willing to spend, although we were upset to find out that they tack on a $250 "electric fee". That was a curveball we didn't see coming (must've been in the fine print somewhere). The A/C was pretty loud, so we wanted to leave it on during the day so that we could turn it off when we came back to the room. That didn't go as planned because housekeeping turns it off when they come. Some of the people at the front desk are not as friendly as others. The gentleman who worked at night was extremely helpful and polite. My only big complaint would be that they did not give us "do not disturb" signs for our door. It was our honeymoon, and let's face it, sometimes you didn't want housekeeping there, even if it was the middle of the day. ; ) So that was a pain. I felt like I always had to be "decent" even when I didn't want to be. Other than that, we had an amazing time. If you choose this place, definitely go on the turtle snorkeling trip that the dive shop runs. Skeeter and his wife Amy are awesome people. Also, if you want a nice quiet sailing and snorkeling trip, book the Independence trip with captain Pat (she is incredibly knowledgable and friendly). That was our favorite thing we did in St. Thomas. The price is reasonable and the fact that there is 6 or less people makes it very personable and makes for a great day. Also, take the ferry from Red Hook to St. John. We walked around St. John all day and ate lunch at a place called the Tap Room, which is the restaurant for the islands brewery. Great place! Another trip that we wanted to do but was pretty expensive was the Virgin Gorda trip (you need a passport for this). Overall, we would definitely recommend staying at Secret Harbour.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms have a better view and are quieter than beach front rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Douglasville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Unbelievable stay !! I have not been on a vacation in 6 years due to my health so it was very important that we enjoy this trip.. Everyone at this location was fabulous, from the check in
process (all of the ladies were wonderful), bartenders, Brandon, Todd and Brian, words can not express how at home we felt. The drinks, the food, unbelievable. My son Sean said the pizza at
The Grill was the best he had ever had.. We have recommended this resort to all of our friends and family and we will be back. Javier we miss you !!
Brandon, Todd & Brian - You guys were the best.. Thank you for keeping a watchful eye on my son Sean until I arrived. We did not want to leave !! Miss Everyone, Trina & Sean

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor and it was perfect. The view was great, and such a wonderful view to wake...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Javier D, Assistant General Manager at Secret Harbour Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 10, 2014
I am thrilled by your words! All of the staff at Secret Harbour are humbled by your words of happiness and appreciation. I have passed your compliments to the mentioned staff...they are the ones that make the magic happen. I love the pizza here too! Not too thin, not too thick..just perfect! I miss you too Trina and Sean! Please, let me know personally when you plan to come back. Let us shoot for another FABULOUS TRIP and unbelievable stay.

At your service,

Lewis Center, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I want to start with the positives. The staff is amazing, always smiling and offering to help with any need. This beach is among the best on the island. The dive shop owners are super friendly and helpful with picking gear, arranging sailing trips, scuba diving, snorkel rentals, and just generally great people to hang out and chat with. There is a freshwater pool (we never visited) and some rooms have direct access to the beach. Oh, one really important thing, the AC worked great in our room :)

The view was amazing, the snorkeling in the calm waters in front of the hotel is terrific and great for first timers. The drive out to the east end of the island can be a bit daunting since they drive on the left side of the road on narrow poorly maintained roads, but it's worth it. Red Hook is nearby and has great shopping and restaurants, but you'll need a rental car to get there, or be prepared to pay for frequent taxi rides. There's only two restaurants at this hotel, one casual and inexpensive, the other more upscale.

The only con is that our room was a little shabby with tile grout that was cracked, and some cracks on the walls. But I just accepted it as character -- overall the place was amazing. A small microwave, stove, and full sized fridge were also in our room and came in handy for toasting bagels and keeping some rum cold. Housekeeping was spot on.

It's not the Hilton, but this place played a big role in us having one of the best vacations ever!

Room Tip: Stay in building 2 - best views / beach access.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 Stars! Amazing Vacation! Best vacation ever! Housekeeping was spot on. That says it all! It was a pleasure having you here and I hope you and your family come back in the near future so that we make a second "Amazing Vacation" and a next 5 Star review.

Coppell, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Wonderful stay at Secret Harbor! We loved the remote feeling and privacy this resort had to offer. The snorkeling was better here than several other beaches we visited. Some condo units were more updated than others. We can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Some of the beach front rooms have an obstructed view because of palm trees. I wished we would have...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Javier D, Assistant General Manager at Secret Harbour Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Your words are like music to my ears! It seems that our unique experience has worked its magic on another happy guest as yourself. Thank you for your visit and this brief but fabulous review.

Warmest regards,

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

My husband and I recently got married on St. Thomas and we stayed here during the first part of our trip. We had 20 guests accompany us and most of them stayed here as well. Although we didn't actually have the wedding at the hotel, all the staff made us feel right at home and made our stay very special. The housekeeper brought me fresh, beautiful flowers on the morning of my wedding while I was getting ready. The front desk staff was more than helpful when trying to coordinate transportation with our big group every time we needed to go somewhere else on the island. We loved the private little beach, which has some of the best snorkeling around! The views from our room were gorgeous. We also couldn't get enough of the "Bushwacker" at the bar. Highly recommended for breakfast. Only warnings, the "hot tub" is not a hot tub. It's cold and they don't heat it. Overall, great place to stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view of the bay.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Javier D, Assistant General Manager at Secret Harbour Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Congratulations!!! Management and Staff of Secret Harbour Beach Resort wishes you many years of love and happiness! Thank you for staying with us and bringing your party along to our beautiful property. Your commending comments about our housekeeping and front desk staff will not go unnoticeable...I will ensure to pass this message on to both departments. Maybe we can have you two here for your next anniversary or for every anniversary! Please, let me know personally when you plan to come back; I will ensure to greet you with a "Bushwhacker." I would love to be your ally and shoot for another 5star review just like this one.

Many wishes,

Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

My wife and I just returned from our trip and stayed five nights at Secret Harbour. We enjoyed our stay tremendously.
The positives:
1) Quiet little harbor. I stumbled onto this resort after reading about Secret Harbour under "attractions" in trip advisor. Someone mentioned the quaint quiet resort in the area, and said they would have loved to stay there. It really did live up to this for us. In the past we have stayed at larger resorts with beach chairs stacked three deep and tons of people all over the place. This place was far different and a nice change of pace. Never saw more than 30-40 people on the beach, usually far less. We were also not there during busy season.
2) Great snorkeling just steps away. We took a guided trip one day but the snorkeling was only marginally better than what we had right outside of our door. I snorkeled at the resort three separate days. My last day I saw a turtle and spent a good 30 minutes watching him in the bay.
3) Outstanding restaurants. We loved the "casual side" of the restaurant. Great food, every single meal. We ate there a lot. You really can't beat the view. Also ate at the more expensive restaurant Sunset Grill one night and it did not disappoint. They also have some great happy hour specials.
4) Staff was friendly and helpful. We saw the same waitresses/waiters numerous times and they were great.

Cons:
1) Long way from Charlotte Amalie. I am not really sure this is a "con". It wasn't for us, but for some people if they want to spend a lot of time in the middle of everything, this place is a good distance from everything except for Red Hook and Sapphire Beach. Most of the nice restaurants on the island are a good distance. We didn't really care much because we enjoyed the restaurants on the premises and the close by restaurants we went to were also great.

2) Not every room is the same. If I am not mistaken some units are privately owned and rented out through the resort. Our room was decent. Furnishings could have been better/more up to date, but they were decent enough. Just be aware this is not a mega resort that will have pictures of exactly what your room will look like. Some on the ground level we could see as we walked by that they were furnished far better than ours.

3) If you rent the units that are not directly on the beach, it appears to be quite a trek up the hill. We didn't venture up there, because ours was right on the water. The pool is also up the hill and we didn't venture to see it. What I can tell you for sure is we looked up in that direction and said, "I'm glad we aren't having to make that hike and that far from the water".

On the whole I would stay at Secret Harbour again and would definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! You will be delighted to hear that all of our room inventory has been updated and are all beachfront units. From your room, just a few steps to the water. Incredible view, quit place...

Regards,

Stormville, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

You can't ask to be closer to a beach with the oceanfront rooms. I mean, we stayed in building 3 and I counted 85 steps from patio doors to the middle of the beach. If I wanted to stop at the first piece of sand it would have been like 30 steps max. The pool is not too convienently located for the beach units but is perfectly located for the hill units. So it depends on what you want in your vacation. My wife and I used the pool a few times to get non salt water. The pool is empty and clean so we had lots of privacy there even though its not a private pool. The beach is "da bomb". Water is clear and so calm, you could wade for hours and not get pummelled by waves. The snorkeling is great too. We brought our own gear and snorkeled every day, literaly right off the beach. I mean, it is absolutely awesome. Any negative reviews you read about this place, disregard as disgruntled vacationers. The room was clean, the view was awesome. We stayed in room 312 and were very happy. Building 3 and 4 offer much more privacy than 1 and 2. But 1 and 2 are literally on the beach, only 1 step from sand. So, once again it depends what you want. We had the first floor unit in building 3 so were able to walk right off the balcony to the beach. Highly recommend this resort. It's some of the closest beachfront rooms I've had and I've been to about 10 caribbean islands/resorts.

We liked the casual atmosphere at the Cruzan Bar restaurant...the Ahi Tuna Nachos are by far the best and most original nachos my wife and I ever had. And they're oly $15. The amount of tuna was absurd and abundant and sushi grade. I'm a New Yorker and a "pizza snob", lol, but the pizza was pretty good too for the caribbean. Danny at the Cruzan Bar was a cool dude and very approachable. I had no issues with any if the staff and they were all friendly.

Don't hestitate to book here. I've stayed at the Marriott Frenchmans Reef close to downtown and we now know that Red Hook is better for us. This resort was nicely located and close to many beaches. But the funy thing is, it's on one of the nicest beaches on St Thomas.

We ventured to St John for a day. Totally different vibe and much nmore quiet. We liked that as St Thomas itself is busy with lots of cars. But Secret Harbor is not busy...it's actually quite perfect.

Room Tip: Building 3 or 4 first floor for backdoor beach access with more privacy. Building 1 or 2 first floo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking a moment and sharing your "da bomb" review. You basically said it all; it describes the way we strive to have every guest feel as they depart from Secret Harbour Beach Resort as part of our family. Thanks again for sharing your experience so eloquent and so lovely. We greatly appreciate it. We can’t wait to welcome you back real soon.

My best,

Secret Harbour Beach Resort
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benner
Crystal Cove Beach Resort on Sapphire Bay
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast
4.0 of 5 stars 966 reviews

Been to Secret Harbour Beach Resort? Share your experiences!