“Perfect for families; fantastic beach/snorkeling!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Secret Harbour Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Secret Harbour Beach Resort to your Saves list
Secret Harbour Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6280 Estate Nazareth | Nazareth Bay, Benner 00802, St. Thomas   |
Offers & Announcements
30% off Beach Condominium
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Benner
Fort Worth, TX
“Perfect for families; fantastic beach/snorkeling!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed at Secret Harbour over spring break, and had the best time!! It is truly the perfect set up for families with small kids (we have 3 young boys) and for those who like to step right off the hotel grounds and swim/snorkel. We got a reduced rate for a beach-front condo (totally the way to go w/ small kids - the ocean view condos are up a steep hill) and Unit 235 where we stayed was really great. Not the Ritz or anything, but fairly updated (French colonial furniture and a nice bathroom). Also the views over the balcony on the beach-front condos are fantastic. We watched the amazing sun set every evening. It was fabulous to pack up our stuff each day and walk a whole 1 minute over to the beach/swim area of Secret Harbour. The towel guy is great - he is always there and refreshed our towels whenever we needed new ones. My husband and I loved the snorkeling - just 20-30 yards off the beach you can find all sorts of colorful fish in the coral. Also, the harbour is very protected and there's no rough waves or currents, which is perfect for kids and easy swimming/snorkeling. The dive shop next door is wonderful for snorkel tips, rental gear and kayaks/paddle boards. The restaurant on-site is fantastic also - the ahi tuna nachos are delicious!! They also don't short you on the alcohol in your drinks - plenty of rum for all. I loved the coconut-pineapple special at happy hour each day. Everyone was very friendly and usually helpful - Margaret at the front desk even gave us coupons for Coral World without us asking - which was very nice. It's an older place, so yes there are things that could use some spiffing up/updating, but overall, it's a really great value for the money if you don't require room service and someone spritzing you with cucumber water while you lounge by the pool. This is a self-serve kind of place, which was just fine for us while traveling with kids. You really can't beat the location and beautiful sand/water. I would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Beach-front condos are the way to go!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

653 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Kearney, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Secret Harbour continues to amaze us each time we stay there. We have visited on three occasions and each time my wife and myself are extremely pleased. Recently we stayed 9 nights [3/02/13 thru 3/10/13]. We stayed in unit 431 and it may have been the finest unit we have seen there. The view from the balcony is wonderful, the unit is extremely well taken care of with beautiful decor, and the higher unit allowed a nice breeze to come in at night. We met the owner of the unit and he was very helpful regarding tips for our stay. With it's close proximity to Red Hook, Secret Harbour is a great place to stay and still see other sites easily. We liked being able to travel to St John or visit other island locations early in the day and then be back on the beach to watch the sun set over Secret Harbour. Snorkeling is also good there [ have seen turtles, sting rays, lots of fish, and this time a huge spotted eagle ray]. If you are interested in diving I highly recommend Aqua Action [ on site] as well. The beach access and ease of travel make this a truly unique location. We are already looking forward to our next visit there.

Room Tip: If you can swing it, the units on the beach are definitely worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Lake Orion, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We just got back from a trip to St. Thomas and we stayed at Secret Harbor Beach Resort. We were so pleasantly surprised at how nice this property was. We thought it would be a hotel room, but it was a furnished condo with a fully equipped kitchen, and everything we might want to make our stay comfortable. The view from the spacious balcony was fabulous and over looked the harbor. The beach is beautiful and the Dive shop was excellent. They were very encouraging as we learned how to snorkel and paddle board. This harbor has a coral reef which makes snorkeling a pleasure to newbies and pros alike. The restaurant had delicious food and the cleaning staff kept our room fresh and clean. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We were in building 7 which has the best view of the harbor and the property. You have to climb the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights in unit 434 (2/21/13 through 2/26/13). We had a condo with a large balcony on the 3rd floor. We could not have been happier with this place. It was very spacious and cozy. The beach is beautiful with decent snorkeling (hard to find resorts with great beaches attached in St. Thomas) and the price was fantastic! The beach restaurant was expensive and the food was just ok. However, on our last night, we ate at the fancier restaurant and it was delicious! The only problem was the fact that w/o a car, we were going broke on taxis. Ouch! Although I don't know if I would be comfortable driving on my own (opposite side of the road). The roads are narrow and winding and people think nothing of walking alongside of them despite the fact that they are part way in the road. Scary. The people working in the dive shop were very friendly and helpful. I would definitely come back to Secret Harbour!

Room Tip: Our room was perfect as it was on the 3rd floor so we could leave all the windows open all night and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Newmarket, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Here we go.....

The GOOD:
Gorgeous beach, beautiful water, fabulous snorkeling and swimming.
Very pretty well maintained grounds.
Our housekeeper, Clementine, was wonderful. Margaret at the front desk very professional.

The BAD:
Our condo was very shabby and run down. The furniture was typical beach furniture, very outdated, which was ok. BUT the cushions on the 2 chairs and pull out sofa were FILTHY. Bathroom tiles cracked and FILTHY. Poorly "decorated" The 80's are calling.

Beach towel "check out" was a joke. I was told I couldn't get a towel without my "towel card". Do you really think I would travel 2000 miles and spend $400 dollars a night to steal a $1. beach towel? Ridiculous. And one towel only.

The UGLY:
Bathroom behind bar / front desk was FILTHY. When I talked to the interim GM, Tavia, about this, she said it was schedule to be renovated. WHO CARES? Does that mean you can't clean it in the meantime? Huge trashcan, lid on floor, no liner, cracked toilet tank, missing parts, wads of tp on filthy floor, tp just stuck on a rail.

Staff is mostly unfriendly / surly. Maybe 2 actually greeted us during our stay. When I needed to get my key replaced (it had de-magnetized) I was told by a front desk staff member that "The key system is really bad, this happens all the time, and you should NOT put it in your bag with all that clutter" REALLY???? What happened to "Of course, no problem"???

The staff is clearly in need of leadership and training. I could live with a dumpy room, but a dumpy room combined with an unfriendly / unprofessional staff was not ok. Because you are required to pay in full when you arrive, we were basically held hostage. Never again. Would have checked out after the first night.

Written confirmation, issued 11/26/12 states that the office is open 24/7. NOT TRUE. In fact, when my cab was not there at the prearranged 6:30am time in order to catch my flight, I called the posted after hours "Emergency Number" which is on the office door (which is closed 1am-7am). The number just rings and rings, and finally I got a message in Spanish telling me that the party I was calling was not available. Good thing no one was having a medical emergency.

BOTTOM LINE:

Stay elsewhere, and just go there for the day! The restaurant and bar, which are owned and managed by a separate company, were delightful. Megan in the restaurant and beach service was FAB!

We went and spent the day at a large, internationally known hotel company's resort in Charlotte Amalie. Turns out it was the same price as our room. 3 pools, gorgeous hill views, spa, several restaurants - GORGEOUS! AND, every single staff member we encountered throughout the day looked us in the eyes, greeted us, asked if we needed anything.....GREAT TRAINING! It showed. Very professional.

I spoke directly with Tavia (interim GM) about these issues. While she did indicate she wished I would have spoken to her while at the resort, frankly, none of the issues could have been fixed in a day. Was actually told by a front desk person that the GM listed in another response on TA, was not the GM, but "lived on a sail boat with her boyfriend". I couldn't believe a staff member was telling me this!

FINALLY, be sure to take bug spray. If you are susceptible to chiggars, mosquitos or no see-ums, you will be eaten up....which of course, happens anywhere!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
MizManagementVI, General Manager at Secret Harbour Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We're very sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations and we were disappointed to hear about the issues you encountered. We strive to make every guest's stay an enjoyable one. There is some variation in the units because they are individually owned, but most units have been renovated and the rest will be completed by the end of the year. As to the beach towels, all guests receive a card when they check in which they can use to get as many towels as they would like from either our beach attendants on the beach or at the front desk. The card system is in place to reserve the use of the towels and the beach chairs for resort guests only. The bathroom by the restaurant and bar is cleaned every day and is checked on a daily basis as well to make sure that the required cleaning has been done. I have passed on your concerns about this to the appropriate personnel. When your reservation confirmation was sent out in November, we did indeed have the front office open 24 hours. We have recently changed the hours to 7 a.m. - 1 a.m. When you dialed the after hours number and received the recording in Spanish, it was not the security company you reached, but the recording that one gets in the islands from cell providers when all circuits are busy. If you had tried again, your call would likely have gone through.

We are sorry that we didn't get the opportunity to address your concerns during your stay and make it more enjoyable for you. It is our goal to make sure that every guest has a wonderful time. Thank you again for your feedback.
Longwood, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

The Rooms of the hotel were very clean and good. The restaurant and the bar were both wonderful and had good choices in food and drinks. The beach was the best about the whole thing because it was just amazing and wonderful and the bay was full of life. We saw fish and a sting ray. Just wonderful. It was all great.

P.S. Avoid the taxi service as much as possible. They will drain your wallet.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I gave 4 stars.I did alot of research prior to booking secret harbour. This was my 1st trip there and had no ideas about this place. Overall this resort was good and I was satisfied. I was a family of 5 Two adults & three teen Kids. I stayed in Ocean View room #712 (a double suite) 3 large B/Rs 3 baths and 2 patios. Large kitchen/sitting area. Front desk staff very helpful and courteous. Food at outdoor grille is pricey, but you have to expect that. Beach is very clean and enjoyable. Employees who work Towel stand on beach for guests are also nice (Will was a cool guy) Transportation/Taxis are costly. 5 -6 dollars per person. V.I. Taxi I recommend. Their drivers are knowledgeable of the Island and its activities. If you get V.I. Taxi RICKY WILLIAMS is great. Beware of some Gypsy cabs, they try to rip you off. GET A TAXI PRICE BEFORE YOU GET IN If you want to para sail, go to saphhire beach Marina aprrox 10 mins away. They said you can have the boat come to you at S/H resort, but you have to swim to the boat then get up on it (I dont recommend this) They also have a nice Grille there the owner is good and his wife makes better drinks than Secret harbour Grille. Ferry to St Johns is good $4p.p. No Passport needed if from U.S. but need one if you go to Tortola British V.I. I recommend a visit to Coral world if you are into Marine Life and swimming with Sea Lions. Downtown flea market shopping is O.K The main street downtown shopping is O.K. alot of jewelry because they sell to the Cruise Ship customers. Contrary to belief, Silver is NOT cheap like anything else its according to market fluctuations. Liquor and cigarette prices are good (Hey Im from NYC) The cost of a van ride from Cyril E. King Airport for 5 people with luggage $75.00 + tip. I do not recommend walking the roads there because they are very hilly narrow and dangerous.Food shopping, also pricey. If you dont like Iguanas you ll get used to them. If you dont bother them they wont bother you. They are not agressive so enjoy them from afar and watch the Males bob their heads in a territorial display. Getting back to the Oceanview suites, they area bit of a climb up the hill. At night when your coming back from being out, ask the taxi driver to take you up the hill. Otherwise use the gradual staircase across from the main office. If I left anything out I will be back to add/edit. Overall after looking at other resorts like Bolongo Bay (which I did not like because it looked run down) I recommend Secret Harbour. Its not perfect but for a family or couples its best value and scenery. Last minute thought, it may rain for a few minutes every day, but dont panic. it wont last long, the sun comes out then you can bake your cookies off. I cant speak of any scuba or snorkeling However, im sure its great. On check out day, (11 am) if your flight isnt until later, ask the ladies at the office to store your luggage in the secure room next to fitness center. It is equipped with a shower so you can freshen up after the beach and before your flight. Overall for this pain in the butt New Yorker, and for the price/value I recommend Secret Harbour.

Room Tip: If you have orthopedic problems, then get rooms closer to beach
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Secret Harbour Beach Resort? Share your experiences!