“Come to Sabang! Stay at Daluyon!” 5 of 5 stars

Daluyon Beach and Mountain Resort
Sabang Beach, Sabang, Palawan Island 5300, Philippines   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Sabang
Melbourne
“Come to Sabang! Stay at Daluyon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights as part of our trip around Palawan and could have stayed for a week. It was so good we returned 7 days later for one more night before returning to PP after we cut short out visit to Flower Island (see separate review).

I suppose when you come to Sabang in this price range there are two choices: here or Sheridan.
Based on the reviews I read here, I picked Daluyon and it was the one of the best decisions I made on the itinerary.

I haven't stayed at Sheridan, so cannot comment on the rooms, but if you are making the same decision I had to, then keep the following in mind:

1. Daluyon is pretty much on its own at the far end of the beach. This means it is away from all the package groups that stay at Sheridan or eat at the nearby restaurants on day trips to the underground river. You are also well away from the port so again, you avoid even seeing all the day trippers. So you can enjoy lying on the beach, only having to share the peace with a few of your fellow guests.

2. The vibe is much more laid back and rustic. The best part is they achieve this chilled out vibe, without dropping the comfort levels or amenities available. The resort really does blend into its surroundings well, unlike the Sheridan, which stands out like a sore thumb.

We have absolutely no complaints about any aspect of our stay.
The rooms are fine and very clean (no bugs for us). We stayed in a superior (downstairs) as we were travelling with an toddler.
Hot water was available at all times and the A/C worked very well. All rooms are about 30m from the beach.
Food seemed to be of quite a high standard but without ridiculous prices. Service at both the restaurant, on the beach and at reception was excellent at all times. They even kept a pair of shorts I left on the first stay at their office in Puerto so I could pick it up before we flew to Manila. Then when they knew we were coming back to Sabang first, had them sent in a van back to the resort.

I suppose part of the reason I rave about this place is because I loved Sabang beach, in particular the area around Daluyon. The beach is wide and made of very soft off-white sand. The surround hillside provides a dramatic background to the ocean.
We didn't visit the underground river as our toddler would not tolerate such an ordeal, but simply spent out time on the beach (didn't even use the pool). This was by far one of the best beaches on our 3 week trip.
The water was also great for swimming. Small waves and plenty of shallow water at the start (great for our toddler) but nice waves for the more confident ocean swimmer (something a lot of the beaches around here lack).

It is on this point, I feel I should respond to davidleeNewcastle below. I am an Aussie and as such spent most of my christmas holidays on beaches when I was growing up. Like any activity, you need to understand the risks and dangers in order to have the most fun and benefit. Going into big waves beyond your depths and abilities in conditions you don't understand, is always going to be a risk. The sign regarding swimming at own risk, is simply saying that if you swim after 6, ie when the lifeguard is not on duty - you do so at your own risk - fair enough, no? Otherwise the lifeguard is available at all times and offers advice on where to swim to avoid the rips (where the water drains back to the ocean) when the seas are rough - which by the sound of things, the below reviewer did not do. On our first stay the water was calmer but on our second visit, the sea was rough. So I simply asked the lifeguard where the rips were and avoided that 50m area. I would recommend to all, that when in the sea in rough conditions, never go beyond where you can get your feet firmly on the sand beneath. A golden rule that will always keep you safe. Surely the hotel cannot be blamed for guests going into the water too deep. RANT OVER :)

Anyway, just stay here. You won't regret. I would put my entire reviewing reputation on that!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

263 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

there's no doubt that the drive from puerto to the resort is beautiful and that Sabang itself is in a beautiful setting however this report did to meet our expectations. We stayed here on the basis of trip advisor recommendations and we had a really bad experience. unfortunately the staff here are not very welcoming on reception or in the restaurant. this is the third place we have stayed in during our two week stay and were really surprised as the standard of filipino service in general has been excellent. the staff here do not appear to be happy or at least they weren't with us. the pool area needs updating. The water does not look clean and there's plastic chairs around. The ocean directly outside from the resort is not safe . There is a strong under current and there are signs saying do not swim after 6pm due to this however, we are 40 year old males and had to be rescued by the life guard at 3pm one afternoon as we were unable to swim back to shore due to the strong current. Parents beware!!! We also had bug issues around the resort which is not the resort fault itself but really affected our stay as there were lots of mosquitoes due to the monitor lizard pool around the restaurant area and also cockroaches a plenty in our room. We checked out after two days despite booking for five days and missed our underwater adventure as a result. We went back to Cebu. The hotel still charged us 100% of our bill which we expected but no one from front office or a manager questioned us why we would leave three days early and ask us for feedback. We would sincerely like to thank the life guard who we recognised in person for saving our lives.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Crawley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This hotel has it's own beautiful swimming pool with comfortable sun loungers. The rooms are big and have nice terraces looking out to the sea. They can arrange all sorts of trips and airport transfers. There are a couple of bars and restaurants next to the hotel. The food in the hotel is fantastic too! Would come back again.

St Peter Port, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Sabang has a touristy sort of vibe, more so than El Nido for example but strangley as a place it is very quiet. We stayed for one night. The beach is very nice, and the setting, with the mountainenous rainforest in the background stunning. I highly recommend the mangrove tour which is not well utilised by which has lovely people working on it and is very interesting.

Daluyon has a great restaurant, marred only slightly by the 1980s singer that was quite horrific! (feel bad saying that!). We also stayed at the Sheridan as we unexpetedly had to spend longer in Sabang. It was overall more comfortable than Daluyon but did not have as much charm and is more expensive, and has a different kind of guest (very touristy people, scared of leaving a resort, etc). It is about a ten minute walk from where you get dropped off by the shuttles/buses etc. Do not take a tricycle just walk along the beach. Tricyles here will rip you off. Recomended

Pasig, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I booked at Daluyon b/c of all the positive reviews I read on TripAdvisor. I wasn't disappointed. The location was great, the hotel was great, the food really great, and the prices weren't too bad.

IMPORTANT: if you want to do the Underground River you must apply for permit a day in advance! Wish someone had told us that ahead of time! The folks at Daluyon can take care of it for you, they just need to borrow your IDs. But messed up our planned schedule not knowing ahead of time it takes a day to process!

Now on to the hotel:

Room: beautiful! I got the Superior room, when you book REQUEST a 2nd floor room. Even though I booked a month ahead I didn't get 2nd floor room. Kinda lame. Regardless the room was amazing. Big octogon 7 of the sides opened up so the breeze could flow through. Room had air conditioning which we used at night but really wasn't necessary. NO MOSQUITO's! Great! Nice deck, nice decor, very comfortable bed.

Staff: very helpful, good English.

Pool: nothing stellar but clean and decently sized. Nice cabana's around it.

Restaurant: not super posh but damn good food and good prices. Generous portions. Meat Lovers Sampler was awesome. Sadly, Caesar salad is a joke. 4-5 leaves of iceberg lettuce, crappy croutons from a bag, and dressing does not make a good Caesar salad! Don't get turned off though, we ate 90% of the meals we had there and that's the ONLY complaint! 10% service charge to bring the food to your room, so we ate at the room mostly.

Beach: what is there to say? heh. It's a beautiful beach but that's nothing new to the Philippines. It was clean, they had comfortable chairs, good service.

Location: this is a big one. If you're after an action-packed trip go to El Nido instead. Sabang Beach is more about relaxing. Really only 3 things to do w/n walking distance: Mangrove Forest, Zipline, and Underground River Tour. You can walk to the waterfalls which we did but it's a good 2 hour hike and the waterfalls aren't that impressive.

Booking: was actually pretty easy to book. Called their Puerta Princessa office, reserved, then got a form I filled out w/ scans of IDs and credit card and emailed it to them.

So yeah, overall I was VERY happy with choosing Daluyon. The only other resort at Sabang Beach on this level was the Sheridan. Looked higher end and higher priced but also looked more like a cookie cutter hotel w/o any personality.

Pontiac, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I travelled with eight of my family members so we occupied 2 deluxe rooms which were nicely decorated. We stayed for 3 days. We went to the UGR, which we booked through the resort, and it was wonderful! That package included lunch at the Pawikan Restaurant at the resort. I'll get to the food later. It's best to get to the underground river early as they only allow 900 tourists a day to enter. When you go to the UGR, your feet and legs will get wet so wear appropriate clothes/footwear. If you want to take pictures during the UGR tour, do not sit at the front of the paddle boat because you will be required to hold the spotlight while the guide paddles and talks.
My primary goal after the UGR was to relax. I did just that. I slept on the room balcony, the chaise lounges on the beach, the hammocks on the beach and by the pool. Every time I woke up I was smiling because it was just so beautiful. I didn't get to do much swimming in the ocean because the currents were too strong so I just soaked and made a game of trying not to get knocked down by the waves. It was so peaceful that I had the water all to myself for 2 hours on my last morning there. Some turtles laid their eggs on the beach earlier this year and will be hatching in the next few weeks. Also, the beach and grounds are very clean. There's construction going on for expansion but I barely noticed.
The Daluyon's Pawikan restaurant serves some of the best food I have tasted ANYWHERE. The staff are friendly and polite and I think are quite efficient. Since I have not been in the Philippines in 5 years I feasted mostly on Filipino food. The chef's twist on Filipino cuisine is very refreshing: the shrimp aligue pasta, the stacked calamares, roasted liempo, the chicken pork afritada roulade which came with buko pandan panna cotta and a salad with calamansi dressing. We did not eat anywhere else during our stay. Even their version of the sotanghon guisado was excellent. The breakfast buffet was nice as well.
I will definitely go back to the Daluyon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

The hotel is located at the beachfront, few hundred meters away from the crowded pier from where people take the boats to the underground river, with rooms overlooking the sea. We stayed for two nights in a 1st floor deluxe room with a big veranda. The room is big, comfortable and well decorated. The service is very good and the food in the restaurant is delicious with good presentation. The sea was a bit wavy but still safe for swimming. It is worth the money we pay for it. We would recomend it for families. From there you can easily go to Puerto Princesa by van (2 hours) or to Port Barton by boat (2 hours)

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Daluyon Beach and Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!