“Friendly staff and comfortable rooms” 5 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN Marks Tey Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   London Rd, Marks Tey, Colchester CO6 1DU, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marks Tey
Telford, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff and comfortable rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

A business trip saw me booking at this hotel in late November 2012. The booking in process was smooth and easy and the reception staff were extremely friendly. My room was well appointed with nice little extra touches (like the water and bar of chocolate in the fridge). Breakfast, which was a buffet style, was tasty and there was plenty of it. Again, the friendly, helpful staff made all the difference. Well done Best Western Marks Tey

• Stayed November 2012
SteveTopple, Manager at BEST WESTERN Marks Tey Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Janie1834,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at BEST WESTERN Marks Tey Hotel; I was very encouraged to hear that you found us to be friendly and comfortable, especially the Reception Team, and I have passed this feedback onto them. If you are ever in the area I do hope you will consider using us again for your business needs.

Many thanks and kind regards!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This Hotel, just 20 minutes from Colchester town centre,was clean and comfortable and the staff polite. But, with its downmarket atmosphere and brasserie, it was definately not four star. I would dock one of those stars straight away.
I accept we stayed at the Marks Tey during the run-up to Christmas, but parties seemed to swamp the hotel, causing the "splendid Brassiere Retaurant" to be evicted into a pokey room with children running loose. The next night, it had been moved once again, and had to share space with the very busy bar.
That said, we found the food excellent, and said so.We had very noisy neighbours to our room, who appeared to have differences of opinion until 3 a.m.
We found a mistake - in favour of the hotel - when booking out. This was quickly rectified.
An average hotel with above-average food. Could do better.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Tovarisch,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at BEST WESTERN Marks Tey Hotel; I was disappointed to read that you felt that we were an average hotel, and that you feel that a star should be taken away from us. We take pride in the level of service we provide for our guests, and the facilities we have to offer, and I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet with your expectations. Christmas is naturally our busiest time of year, and I'm sorry that you felt that we were "swamped" with Christmas parties. However, I am pleased that you found the food to be excellent, and I have passed your comments onto my Head Chef.

Once again, please accept my apologies and kind regards.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Standard fare for a Best Western. Bed is comfortable, although rooms look dated. Trusty trouser press is a friendly face. Bar area is nice. Food was good, Rump Steak in the evening, full english for breakfast. The girl behind the desk did give me a annoyed look when I had the audacity to ask for another bottle of water from the fridge behind the counter. Bit of a business/commuter spot.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SteveTopple, Manager at BEST WESTERN Marks Tey Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear chaz62wilson,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at BEST WESTERN Marks Tey Hotel; I was pleased that you found the food to be good and the bed comfortable, and I'm sorry that you thought that the young lady behind reception gave you an "annoyed look" when you requested water - I'm sure this was not her intention. I'm pleased that you found the "trusty trouser press" such a welcoming addition - maybe it might be an idea to give them all name badges?!?

Once again, thank you for your feedback and kind regards.
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The manager of this establishment is welcoming, despite the size of the hotel. I have no hesitation in reccommending this hotel to anyone. The rooms were large and clean, the old fashioned decor is soon forgotten because the service is excellent. The food was good and drinks were served fast despite the fact that staff were catering for more than one wedding party. It was well organised and professional and much better than its poor counterpart in Colchester, The Rose and Crown ( stay there at your peril-its absolutely dire.) I am a die hard boutique hotel lover, but I can honestly say that staying at the Best Western Marks Tey Hotel was a relaxing experience, where I was made to feel very welcome and that no request ( i.e late night room service) alternative meal arrangements were too much trouble.

Room Tip: Ask to avoid large wedding parties and the staff are more than happy to help.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Nelpel,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at BEST WESTERN Marks Tey Hotel; I am so pleased that you found your time with us so pleasant, especially the fact that you found us to be "well organised and professional". We take pride in every aspect of what we do, and I do hope this came across during your time with us; I remember meeting you and, yes, we were rather busy! I do hope that if you are in the area again, you will pay us a second visit!

Many thanks and kind regards.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Nice room clean, nice comfy bed, plenty of hot water great shower, the only let down was the food, we ordered two steaks in the restaurant both where not cooked as we requested, both steaks would of been better used to sole our shoe's with, rather then eaten they where so tough!!
The chips consisted of about 6 in a mini fryer basket served on a slab the salad if you could call it the a few leaves and some cucumber not much more served in a very small bowl, awfull,awfull food when we complained staff seemed like they had heard this many times before, and just kept saying sorry!! not could we get you somthing else, my advice would be eat out plus they where a long time fetching the food and we where the only people in the dinning room..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear elakat65,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at BEST WESTERN Marks Tey Hotel; I was very disappointed to hear that your experience in our Restaurant did not meet with your expectations. We pride ourselves on the quality of our food and the levels of service we provide, and I will be speaking to my Food and Beverage Manager and Head Chef regarding your comments, as on this occasion we obviously did not deliver.

Once again, please accept my apologies and kind regards.
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My Husband and I spent a lovely afternoon at the Marks Tey in Colchester, where we enjoyed a delicious de luxe tea. We started of with a selection of teas in little jars, which consisted of Amaretto and Cherry, Summer Bay, Chocolate, Oola plum and many more. My favourite was the Amaretto and Cherry (and I dont even like Amaretto)! If you wanted normal tea you just asked for it. The waitress was very friendly and explained all the different teas on offer and she delivered a selection of sandwiches and cakes to our table. Before this we were given an amuse bouche which consisted of prawns, crayfish, etc in a lovely sauce. Then to the sandwiches and cakes, very nicely presented and very fresh with various fillings. the selection of cakes were gorgeous, and to finish a small trifle. This was plenty for two people, in fact it was difficult to finish it all, but too nice to leave! The hotel is very clean, the foyer very welcoming and a nice comfortable bar to sit and have a drink in. We didnt stay the night but I`m sure the rooms are also very clean and comfortable. If you are in this area and fancy a de luxe afternoon tea, then you cant go wrong with this one and quite reasonable at £10.50 each. Everywhere you went in the hotel the staff were very pleasant and helpful, they also have a very nice swimming pool and spa, and a very well equipped gym. All in all a good hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Smiler17,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to BEST WESTERN Marks Tey Hotel; I was very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your "Afternoon Tea" experience, especially that you found all the team to be friendly and welcoming - this, fortunately, is feedback we get a lot! I do hope you may join us again in the near future.

Kind regards.
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

Checked in, went to room to find the bathroom flooded, it then took 25mins for someone to come to the view the room and find me an alternative.

Following the eventful start I then went to the restaurant, typically incompetent service from best western staff.

I got charged £2.95 for a two inch piece of corn on the cob.

I signed my bill, left the restaurant and decided I needed an early night only for the stupid receptionist to ring my room phone 30mins later to tell me that I must present myself immediately at reception to pay my bill.

Due to being unclothed and in bed I asked if it would be possible to sort the bill at checkout, this she said was not possible and I had to go to reception immediately.

Would never recommend this hotel.

Terrible customer service, this is my third best western experience.

There will not be a fourth as the poor service just continues.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear icertraining,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at BEST WESTERN Marks Tey Hotel; I would like to apologise for not meeting with your expectations during your recent visit to our Hotel - I do remember speaking to you on the night of your stay, but was not made aware of the issues you had with the service from both Reception and Food and Beverage. If you would like to discuss the matter with me, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

Kind regards.

Travelers are raving about these Marks Tey hotels

Been to BEST WESTERN Marks Tey Hotel? Share your experiences!