“One night stay” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   London Rd, Marks Tey, Colchester CO6 1DU, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marks Tey
“One night stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Standard fare for a Best Western. Bed is comfortable, although rooms look dated. Trusty trouser press is a friendly face. Bar area is nice. Food was good, Rump Steak in the evening, full english for breakfast. The girl behind the desk did give me a annoyed look when I had the audacity to ask for another bottle of water from the fridge behind the counter. Bit of a business/commuter spot.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SteveTopple, Manager at BEST WESTERN Marks Tey Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear chaz62wilson,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at BEST WESTERN Marks Tey Hotel; I was pleased that you found the food to be good and the bed comfortable, and I'm sorry that you thought that the young lady behind reception gave you an "annoyed look" when you requested water - I'm sure this was not her intention. I'm pleased that you found the "trusty trouser press" such a welcoming addition - maybe it might be an idea to give them all name badges?!?

Once again, thank you for your feedback and kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Polish first
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The manager of this establishment is welcoming, despite the size of the hotel. I have no hesitation in reccommending this hotel to anyone. The rooms were large and clean, the old fashioned decor is soon forgotten because the service is excellent. The food was good and drinks were served fast despite the fact that staff were catering for more than one wedding party. It was well organised and professional and much better than its poor counterpart in Colchester, The Rose and Crown ( stay there at your peril-its absolutely dire.) I am a die hard boutique hotel lover, but I can honestly say that staying at the Best Western Marks Tey Hotel was a relaxing experience, where I was made to feel very welcome and that no request ( i.e late night room service) alternative meal arrangements were too much trouble.

Room Tip: Ask to avoid large wedding parties and the staff are more than happy to help.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Nelpel,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at BEST WESTERN Marks Tey Hotel; I am so pleased that you found your time with us so pleasant, especially the fact that you found us to be "well organised and professional". We take pride in every aspect of what we do, and I do hope this came across during your time with us; I remember meeting you and, yes, we were rather busy! I do hope that if you are in the area again, you will pay us a second visit!

Many thanks and kind regards.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Nice room clean, nice comfy bed, plenty of hot water great shower, the only let down was the food, we ordered two steaks in the restaurant both where not cooked as we requested, both steaks would of been better used to sole our shoe's with, rather then eaten they where so tough!!
The chips consisted of about 6 in a mini fryer basket served on a slab the salad if you could call it the a few leaves and some cucumber not much more served in a very small bowl, awfull,awfull food when we complained staff seemed like they had heard this many times before, and just kept saying sorry!! not could we get you somthing else, my advice would be eat out plus they where a long time fetching the food and we where the only people in the dinning room..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear elakat65,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at BEST WESTERN Marks Tey Hotel; I was very disappointed to hear that your experience in our Restaurant did not meet with your expectations. We pride ourselves on the quality of our food and the levels of service we provide, and I will be speaking to my Food and Beverage Manager and Head Chef regarding your comments, as on this occasion we obviously did not deliver.

Once again, please accept my apologies and kind regards.
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My Husband and I spent a lovely afternoon at the Marks Tey in Colchester, where we enjoyed a delicious de luxe tea. We started of with a selection of teas in little jars, which consisted of Amaretto and Cherry, Summer Bay, Chocolate, Oola plum and many more. My favourite was the Amaretto and Cherry (and I dont even like Amaretto)! If you wanted normal tea you just asked for it. The waitress was very friendly and explained all the different teas on offer and she delivered a selection of sandwiches and cakes to our table. Before this we were given an amuse bouche which consisted of prawns, crayfish, etc in a lovely sauce. Then to the sandwiches and cakes, very nicely presented and very fresh with various fillings. the selection of cakes were gorgeous, and to finish a small trifle. This was plenty for two people, in fact it was difficult to finish it all, but too nice to leave! The hotel is very clean, the foyer very welcoming and a nice comfortable bar to sit and have a drink in. We didnt stay the night but I`m sure the rooms are also very clean and comfortable. If you are in this area and fancy a de luxe afternoon tea, then you cant go wrong with this one and quite reasonable at £10.50 each. Everywhere you went in the hotel the staff were very pleasant and helpful, they also have a very nice swimming pool and spa, and a very well equipped gym. All in all a good hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Smiler17,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to BEST WESTERN Marks Tey Hotel; I was very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your "Afternoon Tea" experience, especially that you found all the team to be friendly and welcoming - this, fortunately, is feedback we get a lot! I do hope you may join us again in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

Checked in, went to room to find the bathroom flooded, it then took 25mins for someone to come to the view the room and find me an alternative.

Following the eventful start I then went to the restaurant, typically incompetent service from best western staff.

I got charged £2.95 for a two inch piece of corn on the cob.

I signed my bill, left the restaurant and decided I needed an early night only for the stupid receptionist to ring my room phone 30mins later to tell me that I must present myself immediately at reception to pay my bill.

Due to being unclothed and in bed I asked if it would be possible to sort the bill at checkout, this she said was not possible and I had to go to reception immediately.

Would never recommend this hotel.

Terrible customer service, this is my third best western experience.

There will not be a fourth as the poor service just continues.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear icertraining,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at BEST WESTERN Marks Tey Hotel; I would like to apologise for not meeting with your expectations during your recent visit to our Hotel - I do remember speaking to you on the night of your stay, but was not made aware of the issues you had with the service from both Reception and Food and Beverage. If you would like to discuss the matter with me, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

Travelers are raving about these Marks Tey hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My wife and recently had high tea here and what a lovely experience it was .The hotel was very nice and the staff very friendly even though we were not staying there ,just having tea.We started with a very nice Amuse-bouche which was lovely then followed by a great selection of sandwiches and pastries more than enough for two people.The whole time we were experimenting with six different types of tea for tasting as well as the usual afternoon tea.Then we had a very nice little trifle to finish,all for £10-50 each worth every penny.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear pingpong3,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to BEST WESTERN Marks Tey Hotel; I am so pleased that you enjoyed our "Afternoon Tea" so much - since starting it, it has proved extremely popular, and who can resist cream cakes? I do hope that you may consider coming and staying for a night with us at some point, and thank you again for your comments.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed at maks tey while visiting family.
The receptionist was very friendly and welcoming.
Lovely clean room.
The breakfast staff were very attentive. Breakfast was very good.
My mother and Grandaughter also enjoyed theyre stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Chris F,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at BEST WESTERN Marks Tey Hotel; I was very pleased to hear that you and your family found the hotel to be to your satisfaction, and especially that the team were so "friendly and attentive" - this is something we pride ourselves on. I do hope that you, your Mother and Granddaughter may come back and see us in the near future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marks Tey
Maison Talbooth
Maison Talbooth
#1 of 3 in Dedham
5.0 of 5 stars 201 reviews

Been to BEST WESTERN Marks Tey Hotel? Share your experiences!