“Lovely bit a bit overrated” 4 of 5 stars

The Heritage Killenard
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Killenard, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Killenard
london
“Lovely bit a bit overrated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

The biggest downside was having to pay to use the spa. It's expensive enough already. Even if they only gave an hour or two. It's a nice 5* but not good value
The rooms are comfortable
It's a little bit off the beaten track but that's nice. I just would prefer the spa to be more inclusive into the hotel

• Stayed September 2012
Douglas B, Guest Relations Manager at The Heritage Killenard, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Emer London,

Thank you for your review. I have noted your comments and appreciate you taking the time to provide the feedback.

I do hope you visit us again soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Dublin Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

I have been to the Heritage a few times on course with Opel and decided to go yesterday for lunch in the bar. The staff are excellent, the surrounding lovely and the food was exceptional at ordinary prices. I would highly recommend it for lunch

• Stayed February 2013
Dear motorcar1,

Delighted you enjoyed your visit to the Slieve Bloom recently and we hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Bangor, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I would have loved to have given The Heritage a 5* review but unfortunately there were a number of things which didn't quite live up to the rating.

Positives first - the hotel is lovely and our room (433) was fabulous, it was huge with a wonderful, large balcony overlooking the golf course. It was spotless too and had great facilities. When we arrived the 2 girls on the front desk were extremely welcoming. We enjoyed the 5km walk around the golf course

Now the not so good - on our first evening we ate in the bar. It is not really set up for eating, and has no atmosphere. The young lad who served us was very unfriendly and not engaging. The food was not great - we asked for pepper sauce and got gravy! However I have to say the chicken wings were gorgeous, just a plate of those would have done. There was no real incentive to stay in the bar as it was not very welcoming
Breakfast - I would have expected much more from a 5* hotel, everything was precooked and left in heated trays. The scrambled eggs were rubbery, the bacon was dried up, sausages were not great . Now I can be fussy about food but my daughter is much easier to please and she did not enjoy an of the food.
Sol Oriens - on one of the nights we got a pizza delivered from here and it was really dried up and tasteless. Then we ate in the restaurant one of the nights, it was just as well this was included in the package because the standard of the food was not up to the cost. I asked for my lamb to be pink, it came back very well done and was chewy, not tender. Same for the steak, tasteless.
Spa - I had read that the spa was not very luxurious and I thought that this was probably someone being really fussy, but they were right. It was bland and boring, drab and dull. To go to the toilets from the treatment rooms you had to go out of that part of the complex and go down 2 flights of stairs. Doesn't sound like much but it is really inconvenient. The 'relaxation room' was really dark which was fine, but when you looked closely the carpet was brown, the beds were brown, the walls were dull - and the chairs looked like hospital waiting room chairs.
We had booked 2 treatments each - a back massage and an Indian head massage. They were lovely but no-one told us when we booked them that a back massage is already part of the Indian head massage! And at €270 for the treatments, this was very pricey for the standard of the spa.

Would I return? Possibly, if the food improved greatly and the spa really was 5* standard

Room Tip: Room 433 is s superior room and it is fabulous
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Pauline B,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a comprehensive review of your stay at The Heritage Golf & Spa Resort.,
I was delighted to see you enjoyed some aspects of your stay but would be grateful if you could contact me on 057 86 95000 so I could discuss the not so positive aspects with you.

Carlow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night on a spa break offer. I booked it for his birthday, on booking I asked for a upgrade, if at all possible. Sadly as there was a wedding, the hotel was fully booked, so no upgrade available. But on entering our room I realised this hotels most basic room is probably the nicest hotel room we have ever stayed in. They even had a little desert cake and fruit with Happy Birthday written on the plate, it was such a lovely touch. The attention to detail in this hotel is second to none.The bath is a beautiful old style on four legs. The room is just perfect can not even imagine what the suites are like. The restaurant food was amazing. Breakfast and Dinner was flawless. The bar had a lovely atmosphere. Every staff member could not be more helpful. THE SPA...... WOW, you HAVE to go, even if just for ''The Spa Experience''. We had a couples Mud Chamber and the spa experience, We were so relaxed after it. AMAZING !!!!!
We have stayed in many hotels from three star to five star. THIS IS THE BEST BY FAR. Just go and chill out at the hotel, make no extra plans and soak up a well deserved break.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Douglas B, Guest Relations Manager at The Heritage Killenard, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear oliviaCarlow,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with The Heritage Golf & Spa Resort. I was delighted to see you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and I have passed on your kind comments to the staff.
I hope your husband had a memorable birthday experience and I look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the not to distant future.

Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Spent one night here as part of a voucher we had received. Its a lovely spot close enough to Dublin. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The room was lovely though we had a poor view (didn't mind as only there for one night). Food in the hotel (breakfast, lunch in bar & Italian for dinner) was very nice and reasonably priced. Will definitely make the trip again another time but not sure I'd be prepared to pay the going rate.

Room Tip: try get a room facing the golf course - we had room 308 & view was poor (taps on bathroom sink l...
Dear EuroTravellerHols,

Thank you for your kind feedback in your recent review, I was delighted to see you enjoyed many aspects of your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the near future again.

Longford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The ambience created at The Heritage Golf & Spa Resort is perfect from the moment of arrival ... the warmth from the lovely fires and the friendliness of the staff and the fabulous menus available particularly in the bar made our two night stay very relaxed and enjoyable. We also had dinner in the formal restaurant and again the staff their were excellent.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Pauline 63_12,

I appreciate you taking the time to post a kind review of your recent stay here at the resort. I see you enjoyed both the Slieve Bloom Bar and The Arlington restaurant. I Have passed on your complements to the staff involved.

I do hope you come and visit again in the not too distant future.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I went to the Heritage Golf and Spa Resort for a single overnight last Sunday. It's a beautiful place tucked away near the village of Killenard. The staff could not have been nicer. Lots of people checking out when we arrived but we were looked after straight away. Our room was absolutely gorgeous - clean, comfortable and plush. The afternoon tea was a lovely treat. Dinner that night was in the Italian Steak House with a concierge service to bring us there, who made a point of making sure that we would ask for a return journey. The breakfast was excellent as well. Just two very small things that did not spoil our stay: I was surprised there was no mini fridge in our room and I would have liked kippers for breakfast. How badly off am I ? Oh, last but not least, the SPA. AH MAGICAL BLISS. I slept all the way back in the car..........need I say more?

Dear Ann M,

Thank you for your kind and positive feedback, I was delighted to read you enjoyed many of the amenities available on the resort.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our Resort in the not too distant future hopefully.

Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killenard
Portlaoise Heritage Hotel
#1 of 4 in Portlaoise
4.0 of 5 stars 457 reviews
Clanard Court Hotel
Killashee  - Hotel Spa Leisure

Been to The Heritage Killenard? Share your experiences!