“Major changes to menu, decor not working” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 20 restaurants in Palm Springs
Cuisines: American
South Florida, Florida
“Major changes to menu, decor not working”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

When we first came here about one year ago, this restaurant was a classy steakhouse with great food and a warm atmosphere at fair prices. Since then, they've made some substantial changes to their menu and the restaurant which have diminished the quality of the overall experience. A friend ordered the prime rib, medium rare, but what he received was an obviously medium-well, brown, unappetizing slab of meat. Our server immediately showed it to the chef standing at the gril at the front, who seemed to disagree that the prime rib wasn't medium rare (even though there was NO pink in the meat!). He placed the back of his fingers on the meat to check the temperature, and seemed to relunctantly put a new piece on the grill. We didn't appreciate the attitude. We also didn't appreciate the water dripping down from the air conditioning vent above our table. They've added a salad bar, which just doesn't work in this restaruant. It offers nothing more than what you can get with the meal (a mixed green or caesar salad) for an additional cost. They also no longer serve baskets of bread, but only stale wheat rolls at the salad bar. The menu in general just seems to have downgraded in quality, from the dishes now being offered to the misspelled menu items. We just did not feel like we were in the same restaurant as last year, and that it had taken a turn for the worse. We hope that they can improve their overall experience, before it's too late.

Visited August 2011

40% Recommend
Lake Worth, Florida
“Increase Price, decrease size and decrease quality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

We went to the Lock, Stock, and Barrel on Friday nite and found that not only did the price increase but the size of the portion decreased and the quaility of the Prime rib was not as good as the last few time we were there. Not a big deal but they also eliminated the desert on the sunset menu. The salad bar was nice but most salad bars are $1.99 with a meal and theirs was $3. It was nice but not really outstanding. The service was OK. My husband did tell the waitress that we were celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary and we did get a faint happy anniversary as we exited. We did not enjoy our dinner, it was nothing special and we went out again Saturday night and had a better meal for the same price and better ambiance. We were not the only ones complaining about the changes.

• Visited August 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Miami Beach, Florida
“Formerly Beefeeders -- nicer atmosphere, worth a shot, amazing burgers - read & vote”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I give these reviews my all so please let me know if this was helpful.

Formerly "Beefeeders" (which I had heard of but never dined there)

I have visited this restaurant twice, both in the past 5 months, after finding a half price certificate on South Florida Dines web site.

They advertise for being known for steak, chops and seafood.

The first visit with was my daughters after some after school shopping. When we approached the door, there was a sign about dressing appropriately - no t-shirts, etc. which immediately made my kids feel self-conscious (they were in school uniforms), but we asked about our casual dress once inside and they assured us it was fine (and later saw people in shorts, etc. helping us feel like they weren't just taking pity on us!)

It's not a huge place, but it's nice. The first time we were there, the server put the linen napkins on our laps. The kids were TOTALLY impressed by that, thinking it was the fanciest place on earth (they are more "Chili's" type kids). Sadly my kids are messy and need paper napkins (linen napkins are simply not absorbent), which they did not have when we requested them -- but did find us some cocktail paper napkins at the bar.

My daughter ordered a burger from the kids menu and I took a small bite and WOW, it was a great burger! Burgers are not available for adults on the dinner menu, but are on the lunch menu.

My first visit, I ordered broiled sea scallops (21 dollars). I liked the description "with lemon butter and mushrooms". This is NOT at ALL how they came!

When they came, they had a cream sauce that was red - obviously had tomato in it which I did not care for. I do not like tomatoes. It was not inedible, but I did not care for it much at all, nor did my daughter. I thought, perhaps, I had mis-read the menu or ordered something different, as this is NOT what I would expect for "lemon butter and mushrooms" by any means. I thought I had received a different dish accidentally, but when I asked my server, she told me that they make it that way - the way I received it (they could use to update the description on the menu).

On their web site, lockstockandbarrelrestaurant.com, there is a photograph of the sea scallop dish -- it is NOT how it comes to the table. The photo seems to correlate more with the description on the menu. There are other photos on the site, as well, to give an idea of the general atmosphere.

The rest of the dish - some glazed carrots (which were EXCELLENT and I normally do NOT like cooked carrots) were so good! They were not sliced, but rather smaller whole carrots. Even my daughter liked them (of course I shared). Quite tasty.

The girls got a kick out of the little touches such as my salad dressing arriving on the side in a tiny gravy boat instead of a plastic cup! They also loved (ok, ok, so did I...) that they were setting up for dinner when we arrived and placing very pretty candles in glass vases on each table (and were happy to let us choose the one we liked best to place on ours!). ;-)

The decor is a bit... not being a designer I can't think of another description except for maybe "dated"? It's nice, don't get me wrong - some very pretty stained glass, it's an attractive dining room - I found myself taking pictures (which is typical of me, I take a pocket camera with me everywhere) because I wanted to show them to my mother as she enjoys going out for dinner on her birthday each year (and I am always on the search for a new place I think she might enjoy). But reminds me of a place that my early 60-something year old grandparents would have taken me to when I was a little kid. Except for the music! The decor matches a little more old-fashioned taste, but they play such a variety of music including songs by Madonna and Michal Jackson. I teased my uncomfortable kids, who were probably still reeling from the fact that there was a linen table cloth, "How fancy can it be if they are playing Michal Jackson? Relax!!"

We had fun chatting with our server, who was very nice and attentive. No problems with the service at all. Water was refilled on a regular basis, etc.

Our second stop there I ordered a sirloin steak. You don't know how long I have been missing a good steak around here, for some reason some of the establishments I used to rely on for a good steak have fallen far short of my expectations (perhaps economy forcing them to choose lesser quality pieces?).

I did like the steak, certainly better than any I'd had in a while taste - wise, but I was disappointed at the amount of fat and gristle. I'd paid 24 dollars for the 12 ounce sirloin, and brought about half of it home to my less-picky husband (MUCH less picky). My first bite I could not chew. I had to use my (linen) napkin to remove it from my mouth, that's how hard the piece of fat was that I'd put in my mouth. Part of the steak was edible, and part was not - I tried to cut around the portions that were not. What I could eat was tasty. This particular steak was extremely fatty - not just thin marbles, but hard fat that can't be chewed.

For whatever reason, though, I did not complain about the main dish on either occasion. I suppose I was happy to be away from a noisy super casual dining atmosphere with the stench of fajitas pervading the air!

We arrived fairly early both times, between lunch and dinner crowds and were the only ones in the dining area on our second trip. This allowed me to wander around, take pics in front of the piano and discover the windows, lamps, etc. as I like to do when finding a new place. :-)

I almost forgot to mention the bread brought to the table... It is a loaf, pre-sliced to pull pieces from the hard crusted bottom, served with honey butter. It is very good and my kids devour it in no time (ok, I help).

They do offer sunset dinner specials on certain nights of the week. You can also find some deals on sites such as southfloridadines.com (my personal favorite) and restaurants.com - but check restrictions.

My daughter said the spaghetti she ordered from the kids menu (which was huge) was delicious! And once again, the burger from the kids menu was excellent.

The food is fire grilled right there in full view of the dining room. I had fun with my little camera trying to capture the flames (I know, I'm a dork but... Being a dork? It's what I do well).

I was dying to try their dessert -- the two that stick out in my mind are the New York Style Cheesecake with Raspberry Sauce (6.95) and Orange Dreamsicle Cake with Caramel Sauce (6.95) ... OK, it was my kids who wanted the second dessert mentioned -- but we were too full after our meal (a good sign).

You will find a full menu with prices on the web site listed in this review. And despite my two less-than-perfect meal experiences, I would still go back -- only now I know to ask for the scallop sauce without the tomato, and would ask them to find me a decent piece of steak. I am also interested in trying some of their other entrees, such as the Grilled Rosemary and Garlic Crusted Chicken Breasts $14, but sadly that is only available on the early "Sunset" menu. I strongly suggest you check the menus before arrival so you know what hours you will be able to order the food choice of your liking.

I wish Trip Advisor would add "Families with small children", not just children. Because yes, they do have a kids menu, but no - if I had small children I would not take them to this restaurant. It's not one where you will find games on the table, crayons and a coloring page-type of kids menu to keep high - energy youngsters from complaining while waiting for their food. There is nothing geared toward smaller children at all, other than having a children's menu.

Private Dining Room is Available (per web site)

Please let me know if this review has been helpful. Thank you.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Miami
“Room for groups, free birthday wine, but service leaves a bit to be desired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

Went with a group of about 13 and had our own room in the back, which was nice. They did offer a free bottle of wine for the birthday gal, which was nice. One person had to leave however, due to an unspecified dress code issue. I did see people in shorts and people in jeans, so I'm not sure what the issue was. Service was slow. Feedback on the food from the group: Salmon was good, NY strip was dry, Mahi and other fish were bland, I'd like to comment on the filet mignon, which I ordered, but I never did get to taste it. I specifically asked ahead if I could get the filet without bacon and was told yes, however after a very long wait for our food, the filet arrived with two strips of bacon on it. Might be great for bacon lovers, but I was not able to eat the steak and due to the long time to order something else, I opted to get a bowl of French Onion Soup so I would not be eating after everyone else was done. The soup looked very nice, and wasn't bad, although a bit too salty to finish the entire bowl. When the checks came my table mates were surprised that the prices they were charged were higher than what was listed on the menu. When they asked about the discrepancy, they were told that this was a gas surcharge due to the price of fuel being higher. No one had mentioned this prior to ordering, nor was it noted on the menu. Not that a dollar or so makes a huge difference, but it would be nice to know up front. Oh, and after all the mess up with my order, they still charged me $7.50 for the bowl of soup. Needless to say, I will not be back.

• Visited May 2011