“A Cape Town Jewel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of City Lodge Hotel Pinelands

You added City Lodge Hotel Pinelands to your Saves list
City Lodge Hotel Pinelands
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   44 Raapenberg Road | at Mowbray Golf Park, Pinelands 7450, South Africa   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pinelands
Nelspruit, Mpumalanga, South Africa
“A Cape Town Jewel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

The staff at the Lodge always surprise me with their sincere enquiries of one's well being....My previous stay at the Lodge was almost 20 months apart, yet I was asked by the restaurant staff "how the dogs are doing?", remembering my love for my animal kids was such a surprise and I valued the enquiry.....This is of course one jewel that I would do my best to keep as a secret, so I share it very unwillingly with the rest of the world...you see, if you know how excellent this hotel is, you all would want to stay, then there may be no place for me to savour the friendly hospitality. Bongi and the rest of the staff are always ready to have a chit-chat, while one is enjoying the delicious cuisine. The place is conveniently located, easy to reach from the airport.

Room Tip: Any room is a good room
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Pinelands, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Thank you for the amazing review! We think it's great that you enjoyed such personal and sincere service from our staff - something we pride ourselves on! Further we're pleased to hear that you enjoy the convenience of this hotel's location as well as the food options! We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

I was on a course at the nearby Golf Club. Arrived Sunday and as I had no car asked if they had a restaurant to which the receptionist replied yes.
Came down later to hear my food order being popped into the microwave - when I asked I was advised that "ready meals" are delivered and microwaved - not a restaurant as far as I'm concerned. Brekfast was ok, I only had toast and tea.
There is a take a way menu I'm your room where you can order from some fast good outlets - not really what I expect as a business traveller. Wouldn't stay here again without transport.

• Stayed June 2014
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Pinelands, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for your comments. Our coffee shop does offer a variety of menu items that many of our guests find extremely convenient. However, it is not a restaurant and should not have been described as such to you. We’re sorry that our offering did not meet your needs, but understand your requirement for a restaurant meal.
South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

On return from an overseas holiday we spent the night at the City Lodge Pinelands. From the moment we walked in we felt at home. The reception was great and took only a minute to sign in.
Our luggage was taken to our room which was really very nice. Clean and comfortable bed with lovely bathroom and fluffy towels. Very quiet air conditioning help us have a very good nights sleep. The breakfast next morning was great. It just seemed to us that the staff were so pleased to have us as guests. I wholeheartedly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Pinelands, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
We thank you for the wonderful review! We're glad that we can provide you with that home away from home feeling, further we're pleased you were satisfied with the room and the breakfast. We look forward to having you stay with us again!
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights recently and chose it because of its close proximity to both the airport and the start of a The Two Oceans Marathon. Staff were very friendly and efficient, food was great, plenty of secure parking and very comfortable well appointed room. All in all excellent value for money and some nice personal touches. Obviously a good management team in place at this establishment. Take a bow!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Pinelands, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you for the great review. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Westville, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

As far as a hotel room goes, I can't give you the value-for-money rating because I'm here on business and have no idea how much the room costs, however, I can give you my impression of the place based on my experience thus far.

The double twin that I'm staying is is fine; comfortable beds, decent sized TV, air con, coffee and tea facilities, and a separate lounge chair and coffee table. A bonus is the separate shower / bath which often isn't available in rooms of this size.

There's a separate fitness area which offers a few cardio machines and some weights - good enough.

Mornings are greeted with a good assortment of hot and cold breakfasts - my personal preference is the roasted nuts in honey and cereal but there's enough variety for everyone.

I'm NOT happy about the misleading hotel information on the website:
"Electronic safe large enough to accommodate a laptop" - not true, it's not large enough so I have my laptop left out at night (although I've been offered to use the manager's private safe, this is simply not convenient).

The cupboard is also small - can't fit my luggage nor my work shirts in the cupboard properly!

Wireless internet amounts to 60 minutes uncapped 4Mbps (or so) per 24 hours, with an option to top up for more. Judging by the general quality of the room I can't imagine the price of the room is cheap, so 60 minutes WIFI seems a bit tight.

To have a friend join me for breakfast was going to cost R115 for a mixed breakfast or R100 for the continental option (and it's not R15 for a cooked meal so I don't know how they work out a continental costing R100) - way too steep!!

The biggest issue I have with the hotel is an experience I had today: I came home after a long day at work, found my card did not open my room any more, got a new one loaded, and came into my room to find an economy class South African Airways ticket in my bed dating a week ago! Seems a bit peculiar that someone else's ticket is in my room and that my card didn't work; I suspect they're unrelated but in the worst-case, someone else gained access to my room (a simple request at front desk can accomplish this; not faulting the system, just quite alarming how easy it could technically be) and then slept in my room. Most likely case is that the linen wasn't properly turfed the last time and I've got remnants of Mr. M Mapaya's leftovers in my bed tonight!

The hotel is overall a reasonably happy experience; comfortable and staff are very pleasant but either way, not a pleasant thought to think there's dirty linen on my bed - quite disconcerting.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Pinelands, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you for the review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the facilities we offer. However, we do sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. We will most definitely look into this matter. Thanks
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Very well appointed and excellent value for money. Handily located to the north of Cape Town this new hotel offers good sized rooms and value for money dining. Very friendly and helpful staff, wifi provided free.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Pinelands, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you for the great review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you gain soon.
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

This hotel is so central and within a few minutes to the N1, N2, M5 the city, airport, Canal Walk,/Century, UCT, Kirstenbosch Botanical Garden and many other places. The service is good. There is golf course in the vicinity. The hotel is very close to Vincent Pallotti Hospital and Oude Mollen. From the hotel you can see table mountain and UCT

Room Tip: Choose rooms away from the N2, those along Forest Drive.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the awesome review. We are pleased to hear taht you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pinelands
City Lodge Hotel V&A Waterfront
Protea Hotel Mowbray
#45 of 106 in Cape Town Central
4.5 of 5 stars 14 reviews
Hotel Verde Cape Town International Airport

Been to City Lodge Hotel Pinelands? Share your experiences!