“World class dessert!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Hlatikulu Road | Mooi River, Mooi River, South Africa   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Mooi River B&B and Inns
“World class dessert!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

This is our first visit to Hartford House... We have been wanting to visit for quite some time now... Ever since the restaurant made it into the Eat Out Top Ten... And so we finally managed to arrange a weekend with family over the easter holidays. We were whisked off to our room on arrival for a very swift check in... We had one of the best ever massages, which is really something to say for a resort which we normally find quite disappointing...the grounds make for incredible running and it is truly something spectacular when the horses in a particular paddock decide to canter alongside you.... The food was just superb... Who knew you could do so many varieties of breakfast.. We loved the dinners. we did find the service a bit labored, although i will caveat that by saying that that may be more of a function of our stress levels than the service itself... But we found the service on our last night... The Saturday absolutely superb...

And then I have to mention the dessert... I will be the first to confess that I am not a food critique...hard to say I am even a foodies, but I will be honest when I say I am totally obsessed with real food made real good... To my mind, there are three dishes that have stood out in my memory for whatever reason ove the course of our last few trips in the quest for good food.the first being the oyster starter at Le Bernadin in New York,the second being the liver fruit starter at Dinner in London and the third being the lavender sherbet, turkish delight,lemon verbena Pana cotta and berry sorbet at Hrtford... The chef and her team played out of their boots. Simply superb! Thank you... All meals were superb but the Turkish delight dessert will remain forever etched in my memory

Stayed March 2013
Hartford H, Manager at Hartford House, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Thankyou so much for your kind words. We strive to make each guests experience at Hartford memorable in every way possible and it looks like we have hit the mark! We hope to see you again at Hartford in the future.

Regards
Kate & the Hartford Team

What a wonderful comment “world class dessert” you have made me and my team’s week, so appreciated. I am though at the same time jealous about your having eaten at “Dinner”, I have been to “Fat Duck”. I look forward to cooking for you again in the not too distant future

Jackie Cameron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Chalgrove, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Recently had the lucky experience of staying at the Hartford House in Mooi River. From the time I arrived to when I left, the staff were attentive and friendly and all round just a pleasure to deal with.

I was in a room within the main building, so cannot comment on the standalone chalets. However the room had all the necessary bits (en-suite bathroom, tea and coffee making facilities, minibar). The room had been done up to a superb standard, whilst in keeping with the age of the house. Bed was very comfortable, and the small touches like chocolates on the pillow in the evening and in-house made biscuits on the tea tray were lovely.

The farm setting was stunning, the grounds well tended. The hotel is also close to the N3 and to Mooi River, for access and some minor shopping, if you happen to have left anything behind.

The only negative, is a purely personal one. As a very fussy eater I struggled with the set menu idea in the evenings. As there are many foods I do not like so having a set menu with these foods on the menu, took away my enjoyment. However as I say, this is purely personal. The food was cooked to a high standard, and great for people who like to try new dishes.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

What an amazing way to spend our mini moon before we set off for Zanzibar! The lakeside suite was exquisite with double baths and a gorgeous hammock set outside overlooking your private rock pool and the beautiful lake - a perfect place to relax together in the afternoon drinking champagne and order some snacks to keep you going. We had the most phenomenal dinner set in the garden and the service was faultless. Wonderful way to spend quality time while relaxing and experiencing 5 star food and service in stunning surroundings. Absolutely more than a gem and far exceeded my expectations!

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms are amazing!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Durban
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We recently stayed at Hartford and felt welcome from the moment we drove through the gates. Our room was a gorgeous Lake side suite with a private swimming pool and a copper bath, (room 16) and is one for romance for sure. I was very sad to leave our room for lunch but it was well worth it I hadn't had such an excellent meal in ages (except until dinner).

We did a wine pairing with dinner which the chef had paired to perfection. We started our dinner with ostrich tartare - seasoned and well balanced. Next the tongue soup was rich and meaty but also light. You could have eaten a massive bowl. Third course was quail with crisp potatoes and chicken liver parfait which was a triumph. The springbok to follow was cooked with precision. Lastly the Turkish Delight was the ideal way to end a perfect meal. The service as always was attentive and friendly - how service should be! When we returned to our room they had turned down the room with rose petals, candles, homemade truffles and drawn us a bubble bath.

We couldn't have asked for anything more, it was a perfect stay - well just too short.

Thank you to Jackie and the team at Hartford for a memorable stay and the best meal I've had in ages. My Top 3 in SA for sure!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hartford H, General Manager at Hartford House, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Wow thank you so much for your detailed mail. So appreciated. I will pass your words on to the entire team. We look forward to you visiting again.
Thank you so much for commenting, it makes our long days so worth while having such appreciative guests.

Pietermaritzburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

At the ‘Emperors Palace Summer Ready to Run Sale’ at Summerhill Stud I was again privileged to enjoy an outstanding lunch presented by Hartford. It is not surprising that Hartford was recently mentioned in the Washington Post as being one of the top 3 restaurants on this planet! Hartford is a jewel in the KZN Midlands. We are so fortunate to be able to go and enjoy world-class food is beautiful warm surroundings. The soul of Hartford is also portrayed by the owners and their exceptional teams. Whether for an outstanding meal, or for an incredible ‘stay’, Hartford is definitely one of my favourites.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Ascot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We were not disappointed with our second visit to Hartford House after a gap of eight years. We were given a Pool Suite which was delightful. Service is faultless and the highlight has to be the five course dinner prepared by Jackie Cameron . Breakfast was another culinary experience with a three course menu.
Horse lovers will enjoy wandering through the paddocks of the adjoining Summerhill Stud admiring the mares and foals.
Wi-fi is available in the main house.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hartford H, Head Chef at Hartford House, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Thank you so very much for your foodie comments, I will pass them on to my kitchen team. It is so appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

As a family of four, we spent the night at Hartford House and had an amazing experience. We loved the food, rooms and the overall ambience of the place. Thank you to the staff for the kindness and thoughtfulness to our boys.

• Stayed February 2013
Hartford H, General Manager at Hartford House, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dean,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your special celebration at Hartford House- we aim to please and we love to hear we are succeeding!!

We hope that you will join us for another anniversary celebration, we look forward to it.

Best Wishes

The Hartford Team

Been to Hartford House? Share your experiences!