“April 6-10 2013” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Bambu Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cabo Matapalo
Casa Bambu Resort
You added Casa Bambu Resort to your Saves list
Playa Pan Dulce, Cabo Matapalo 0000000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Cabo Matapalo
Guildford, England, United Kingdom
“April 6-10 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We are a family of 5 - our kids are 13, 13, and 10 - and we've just spent the last 5 days of our 3 week holiday, staying at Casa Bambu. To be more accurate, we stayed at Casa Sonrisa, which is one of the 4 houses owned by Lynn and Kirk. This was by far the best bit of our holiday and a great way to end it. We had the most fantastic time. Waking every morning at 5 to hear scarlet macaws and howler monkeys. The beautiful wild beaches and jungle. But Casa Sonrisa was a fantastic bamboo house in particular. It's tucked nicely at the back, so is quiet and private, and its more elevated than the others so you get a great view down a gap in the trees, to the beach and sea, and there are monkeys everywhere. The house is extremely well designed and built by Kirk. Whilst usually on holiday, the accommodation is just your base and you try to spend most time out and about, here we actually really loved spending time at the house, and on the verandah in particular, just relaxing, watching Coati stroll by, reading in the hammock, or drinking beer! And whilst the house look good on the website, in real life it was even nicer! When we were there, Kirk happened to be there too and we thought he was really helpful without being 'gushy' and insincere. So we couldn't speak highly enough of Casa Bambu and Casa Sonrisa

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
New York, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We have recently returned from a stay in Casa Pina (on property with several homes all manged by William on site and Lyn in Texas). We were two families traveling together (3 teenaged girls and 4 adults). We fit comfortably in Casa Pina (two bedrooms, one bath on ground floor one larger bedroom, bath, kitchen, dining and open air porch on second floor).

The kitchen space was large and efficient. We love to cook and even though we were off the grid the oven and fridge were perfect for cooking and storing food. No trouble with keeping food fresh etc. Lyn also provided us with exceptionally detailed advice about virtually every detail of our trip. (we should have heeded your advice about overestimating our food purchases because we did end up having to 'ration' some breakfast supplies towards the end of our trip. Listen to Lyn, buy more food than you think you'll need!)

We also enjoyed having Jaxinia cook a meal for us one evening that was fantastic! Other nights we cooked the fish one of our Dads caught with William in the kayaks (mackeral and bonito). And one night we walked to Buena Esperanza for dinner (listen to Lyn and definitely pack one flashlight per person!)

Our group opted not to do the long hike in Corcovado. We saw and heard so much wildlife in the area around the house that the hike seemed superfluous. We spent a lot of time surfing from the beach which is just a quick walk from the house, to a lovely quiet beach. The surf is good for beginners and there is a young man (Pollo is his nickname) who will provide you with lessons and boards if you want instruction. Otherwise you can rent boards at the resort down the road (Lyn will tell you where).

We loved the wildlife, the open air, the warm water, Tico culture, virtually everything about our experience in Casa Pina. William was quickly responsive to any request and, as I've mentioned, Lyn is completely organized and thoughtful about every detail for her guests. She emailed us after our return asking for comments and any recommendations for changes/improvements. I cannot think of anything I would change. This place is idyllic.

Thank you for a lovely stay in a natural paradise

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms in Casa Pina are more airy with higher ceilings and more space. We spent most time t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Medford, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I don't even know where to begin. Costa Rica is such a magical place and our experience was even better because of our accommodations and Lyn, our amazing hostess.
What Lyn does for you before you even get there is what I believe puts Casa Bambu over the top. Because of Lyn's knowledge and advice we were thoroughly prepared to have the vacation of a lifetime.
Now about the trip: We went with another couple and their toddler in December 2012. The weather was perfect. Upon arrival at the house it was dark and hard to judge what we were getting in to. But when we woke up the next morning (to the soft cries of howler monkeys, bahaha!) we knew instantly it was the right choice.
We stayed in Casa Sonrisa, the most private house up on the hill. When we go back, notice I said WHEN, I would love to try the house closest to the beach. Solely for a different experience, not because we did not enjoy Sonrisa.
Sonrisa (and the other 3 houses) are beautifully constructed and rustic all in one. Everything you need is right there. Since this review is technically supposed to be about Casa Bambu resort, I guess I should spend more time on the house. There is really nothing more to say. It was fantastic, no complaints. Hot water showers, fan's in the bed, open air to enjoy your surroundings, etc...)
The wildlife surrounding the house is unbelievable. From Toucan Tree just out the dining room window, to the daily monkey parade, it never got old. We did the Corcovado trip with William and actually saw just as much wildlife on that trip as we did around the house.
William the caretaker is wonderful. He is friendly and helpful. You really feel that he truly wants you to have the best experience possible.
Have the girls cook you dinner as often as possible. The arroz con pollo was so delicious. My only regret is that I didn't watch them cook it because despite my best attempts I cannot replicate it.
Martina's Bar, a nice walk down the road was also a great place to get a bite, a delicious drink and enjoy the company of other's who love Costa Rica.
Buy fish from the fish monger. When you first get there put out the word that you are interested in fresh fish and he will come right up to the house. We bought some delicious fresh fish and shrimp. Oh my, the shrimp! It was amazing. Huge. If you buy early in the trip he will stop by every time he has a catch. I was super bummed the second time he came by to find out he had sold all 6 pounds of his shrimp to an Eco-Lodge just before stopping by.
Even our taxi driver's were amazing people. Lyn recommended our main taxi driver, Dennis. Whenever Dennis wasn't available we got one of his brothers. Such a great family. Dennis was always on the lookout for wildlife for us and he even found us the elusive three-toed sloth on our last day, while headed to the airport! Here is how amazing Dennis is: he took us to the airport in PJ on our last day. He waited around while we checked in for our flight and dropped off our luggage. Then he drove us into town to have some lunch before our flight left. We said our goodbyes to Dennis and thanked him for his part in our lovely trip. We were sitting down at our table when Dennis pulled back up in front of the restaurant after having just left. He was holding my husband's backpack out the window and we realized my husband had left his backpack in the taxi. The backpack had our brand new GoPro Hero 3 and two profession Canon camera's in it (one of which was borrowed). Dennis truly is an amazing person.
My recommendations of must do's: 1) Gulfo Dulce boat tour! One word: ah-mazing. You will not be disappointed!!! 2) Ziplining, what a thrill and 3) Surf lesson's with Pollo. Try to do this early in the trip so you can practice what you learned the rest of your trip.
We have so many great memories of our trip that I cannot put them all in this review. I am glad I kept a journal so I can relive the memories long after our trip has passed. Even the simple stuff such as sitting in the open air living room at night kicking the boys' booties in Spades, to exploring the jungle on foot and coffee (the Tican coffee make was so cool) in the morning with our dear friends, was truly magical.
A couple words of advice to those considering at stay at Casa Bambu: this is not a resort with technology and hand and foot service. There is no AC and there isn't television. You must make your own fun. Embrace the land, wildlife, sea and truly enjoy time with whoever your travel companion(s) may be.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

WE HAD A WONDERFUL TIME!
I was totally overwhelmed by the wildlife and the unspoiled nature of the area and the location of La Piña by the monkey walk was just incredible. It was exactly what I wanted but so far exceeded my expectations. The sounds of the rainforest are incredible. I hadn't thought about the sounds, only the sights. The howler monkeys, macaws, parrtos and cicadas are very much present and make a wonderful background music to the stay.

My husband hates going on vacation. To give you an idea of how successful this one was he has said he would like to go back and was actually tearful when we left!

William was wonderful and tracked down a tapir in Corcovado. (That is a strenuous trip but worth it.) The boat trip was excellent and we saw hundreds of dolphins and swam with them. I loved watching the view and the animals, from our daily 5am monkey watch to afternoon visits from the agoutis and coatimundis and the start of the late afternoon monkey watch until dark. Not to mention the birds!!

If you do the fishing from the kayaks with William, do it early during your visit so that you have time to eat your catch. We caught mackerel and red snapper and cooked it on the grill at the house.

It is rustic and eco friendly. The area is totally unspoilt. It was definitely one of the best holidays I have had.

I want to go back, NOW!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Lyn,
Thanks very much for all your help. First, the staff were warm, welcoming and always helpful. My daughters and I thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Corcovado with William and despite the language barrier, he was able to teach us quite a bit. His knowledge of the bush is remarkable. People are quite friendly as you must know, so if one is not certain about the safety of beaches for example, just ask. Buena Esperanza is a great place for dinner. Walking along the beach to the fresh water pool at the mouth of the river was marvelous. Los Islas was a great stop prior to our flight to SJO although we could have got up really early to make the morning flight directly from Casa Piña

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Walpole, New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We got back from our family vacation in Costa Rica two nights ago and I can still recall the sounds of our time at Casa Bambu's house closest to the water, Linda: the sound of the waves so vibrant they seemed as though they were right in our room; the now easily-recognisable call of the Scarlet McCaws in the almond tree just outside the porch; the distant roar of the howler monkeys waking us every morning; the rustle of who knows what under the house; the cicadas never-ending chirps ..... and the surprised shrieks of our kiddos as they discovered some sort of flying beetle or fly or insect or bug a little closer to them than they expected!

The house was perfect. Simple. Amazing quality stove to cook on and for a solar-powered house, suprizingly effective means to keep food cool and ice cold enough to chip off of a block ... at least for a few days! Plan trips to Puerto Jiminez every three days or so if you want ice in your drinks! I like to to cook and my littlest kiddos are not too adventurous eaters, so we didn't use the "iron chefs" to prepare our meals, but they were awfully nice and I am certain that their food would have been delicious. We bought mahi mahi and HUGE shrimp from a couple of different local fisherman who showed up with it for sale on two separate times. Great quantity and quality at a very low price.

William was great. Always smiling and friendly. We don't speak much more than long-ago high-school Spanish, but communicated just fine. Go on the waterfall hike with him. Despite the maps, we could not have found it on our own and it was incredible to stand beneath it and jump from under its spray into the refreshingly cool water. No mosquitos anywhere. At least at this time of year.

A highlight was a horseback ride with Miguel Sanchez at Rio Piro. William knows him and can help set it up. I had read about Miguel on someone's blog and was determined to find him ... he is a authentic local Costa Rican character. Barefoot as I had been told. Ride with him through a river, through the rainforest, to a deserted beach that is simply stunning. You can gallup on the beach if you want. Or not. Then explore the tidal pools and massive crashing waves. 'Twas perfect.

Another highlight: The boat tour. I have never seen so many dolphins in my life. Hundreds. Literally hundreds!!!!!

We decided not to hike in Corcovado afterall. The walking on the beach in the oppressive heat and hiking in the park for house with our kids (ages 10 and 12) seemed just too much. The beach walk is HOT, HOT, HOT. And no swimming there to cool off because of the ferocious rip tides. We saw ample wildlife right where we were ... I think the only thing we missed out on was the Tapir. Oh well.

We loved walking from our beach over to Backwash Bay. Our beach was beautiful, and it was so fun to talk with the locals who often came to fish in the afternoons, but we loved the walk through the rainforest, through the next beach, through the rainforest again and over to Backwash Bay. We found a fantastic rock to jump off of at high tide and the waves were absolutely perfect for boogie boarding. A pair of Scarlet McCaws also had a nest overhead which was a site to see!!!

Lyn was great with her communication and instructions and maps. A big thanks. We also met some incredible other families who were staying in the other houses. We were too timid and inexperienced to try the kayaking, but those who did it loved it and especially loved having the kayaks readily available. And free. We preferred the boogie boards. There is now wi-fii ... a blessing or a curse? It might have been nice to have really un-plugged, but the kids enjoyed having it available!

We loved every minute!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Francestown, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Thank you Lynn for all you did for us the tour's were excellent the home pristine I truly feel it's the most beautiful place in the world and I am so grateful to be able to experience the beauty of the OSA each time we come. As this year we were able to explore a little more its hard leaving the house as it is a nature loves paradise from the howlers, Monkeys Macaws blue morph butterfly bats lighting bugs ocean waves and this year we finally got to see a toucan but the very best part of the trip was the people William is a big part if the wonder he is always happy and ready to take you on a adventure .. Lynn And Kirk again a huge thank you for sharing your wonderful home with us ... Please know we will be back next year and will be bringing a crowd this time .. Love the Kazanovicz

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Casa Bambu Resort? Share your experiences!