“I Love This Place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cabo Matapalo
Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge
You added Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge to your Saves list
Cabo Matapalo | Peninsula de Osa, Cabo Matapalo 60702, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cabo Matapalo
Newport Beach
“I Love This Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2008

The rooms were beautiful, with amazing ocean views. The food is superb!

This is truly a magical place for couples or families. Every night was a learning experience dining with interesting travelers from all over the world. The evenings are lively with great food, great wine and wonderful conversation.

The hiking trails are amazing. It is not uncommon to wake up in the morning to a group of young monkeys swing through the trees, or colorful Toucans sitting on the branches.

I was very moved living so close with the wildlife. The outdoor (private) showers were awesome!

I highly recommend this resort….

• Liked — The rooms, wildlife and food
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2008

We stayed at Bosque at the end of August with our two young children aged 1 and 4. Bosque is a beautiful place with incredibly friendly staff and run in a very eco-friendly manner. Getting to Puerto Jimenez in one of the small aircrafts from San Jose is in itself an adventure, same for the 45-minute ride from the small airport to Bosque, and our 4-year old loved all of it!
Our cabina, overlooking the sea, was simple but very comfortable and clean - there are no locks on the doors but you feel extremely safe at all times. At night we slept with our shutters open and could clearly hear all the noises from the forest around and the crashing waves.
The restaurant food (a la carte for breakfast and lunch - buffet with lots of choices in the evening) was the best food we had during our three-week travel around Central America. You can help yourself to cakes and coffee throughout the afternoon and snacks at the bar at cocktail time. Phil's wife spends her afternoons in the kitchen making sure that the food coming out at night is delicious and she does a great job at that. She will also happily make alternative food for the kids.
Bosque is set in a beautiful spot on the Osa and you feel quite honoured to be surrounded by such pristine forest and beaches - admittedly even our 4 year old was too young to appreciate the wildlife around him, and the muddy trails were hard for him to walk (although he absolutely loved flying through the forest attached to a zip line to get to the tree platform, and still asks to go back to Costa Rica so that he can have another go!).
The highlight of our stay at Bosque was the boat trip around the Golfo Dolce - absolutely unmissable! We saw another couple of boats at some point, but for most of the day it was just us in the gulf - no houses on the surrounding hills, no boats, no people, just us and the tens and tens of dolphins who played around. There were also a few turtles, tuna fish, flying fish....apparently planning permission has been granted to open a new harbour on the other side of the gulf, so unfortunately this wildlife oasis might soon feel not so wild anylonger.
However, if you are travelling with young children, note that you will NOT be able to visit the animal sanctuary in the gulf (apparently monkeys don't like children younger than about 6) and you will miss out on the opportunity to carry a sloth or have photos taken with monkey over your shoulders (a good reason for us to go back in a few years time!).

• Liked — the position on the Osa peninsula in a very unspoilt place
  • Disliked — the rain and mud - the green season can be VERY wet!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2008

I have visted Bosque del Cabo a few times but never in January, and this was the very best visit EVER! The weather was perfect, flowers magnificent, birds everywhere. Bosque continues to surprise me as to how much better it gets. I was so excited to see the new expanted areas of the pool and bar area. There are great small conversation and game areas with comfortable rocking chairs and comfy sofas to lounge around and read or whatever. And the new walkways to the Cabans are really an added touch.

I asked to see the large house MiraMar, because I might want to rent it for my family next summer. I was so surprised. They told me they had added a pool and deck and it was beautifully redone.

But, while I was there, the real treat was one morning, the PRESIDENT of Costa Rica come to Bosque! What a surprise to all of us guest. There was an enviromental discussion held about the Osa Peninsular and it was very exciting to be there and see such an event. The President toured Bosque with owners Phil and Kim. We heard that he was very impressed. How could he not be!

I went on the trip to the Gulf and saw about 125 Spinner and Spottted dolphins, it was amazing. I have never seen so many Dolphins in my entire life and I live in Southern California.

I will return to Bosque, as my favorite place in Costa Rica, with all of my friends and family. It is such a magical paradise and continues to surprise me evertime I go, with so many new updates and additions. And the food, which I always think can't get better, just put it this way, you better start dieting and excerising a LONG time before you go!

Thanks to all the staff for all you do to make it so great and I almost forgot. My daily massages in the jungle were the best this year by Jutta!

• Liked — Fabulous food, birds, nature, Ocean monkeys great people staff, trails
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2008

From the moment we were picked up at Puerto Jimenez airport, the friendliness of the Bosque staff set the tone for three fantastic days at the Osa's finest lodge.
Upon arrival, we could readily see that the property was lovingly cared for. The cabinas were cozy and well constructed compared to other lodges we've stayed at in Costa Rica. Although many trails cross Bosque Del Cabo, you can see abundant wildlife just outside the cabinas, so keep your eyes open and your cameras ready.
The food service was fabulous. There seemed to be something for everyone on Bosque's extensive menu and plenty of it, all prepared to perfection. Dinner is served buffet style and my wife and I couldn't wait to see what was on that buffet table each evening. We really enjoyed the family style dining, meeting other guests and sharing stories.They will also set a private table for those who desire.
The Bosque restaurant staff deserves special mention since they helped make my wife's birthday extra special. I asked if they could make a small cake to surprise her - no problem at all. The real surprise came when the staff sang Happy Birthday!! We were touched to say the least. I found all of this very satisfying because last year I'd asked the same favor at Bosque's neighboring lodge down the road and was told they didn't do that sort of thing.
We noticed from conversations with other guests that Bosque Del Cabo seems to have alot of repeat customers. We just might become part of that group ourselves.

• Liked — Privacy and View
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2008

How can you not have a great time on your Honeymoon anyway?
From the most romantic views and splashing waves, the quiet walks in the forest, to a full body massage overlooking a cliff drop from my very private cabanna, I would get married all over again and go back to this wonderful place. Kim and Phil at Bosque del Cabo have it all. Use your imigination and picture an outdoor tub with mosiac tiles. Sitting under the starry sky and planning the next adventure. Not to mention the array of fine cuisine that is prepared by their wonderful staff and Chef Phil. Something different everyday and night. Want to take lunch on the go, they will even pack you a nice picnic lunch box. This is great for those days you want to do a little exploring down at the beaches.
This place is so great, you have to go back to see it all. In fact I have heard that they have expanded to almost double the occupancy and I can hardly wait to see the results of their progress. Pictures of the new outdoor bar, library and dining room are so inviting, I'm working on another trip soon with all the girls. They couldn't believe I did the "Zip" line, so I'm taking them with me this time to show off.
I love to garden and I am still looking for the Lipstick Palms and how to grow pineapple bushes that lined the walkway to each cabana.
At lot of my friends are into hiking and exploring. This place has it all. I personally am going back for the relaxing around the great pool and listening to the howeling of the monkeys and the call of the Makaws. You have to go to believe this place.
From the private homes to the company business meeting, they can accomodate you. I'd like to be the party planner on this trip.
Just be sure to take lots of film, you will need it.

• Liked — personal service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
Orange County, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2008

Perfect! After a great drive from Puerto Jimenez we were greeted by very friendly staff and sat down for an excellent breakfast. The food here is outstanding, we didn't dare miss a meal!

The grounds are beautiful and the accomodations are fantastic. I'm not an early riser by nature, but I looked forward to my 5:30am showers outside with the Pacific Ocean in front of me, monkeys in the trees above me, and hummingbirds feeding on the Heliconia next to me. Paradise.

I saw more wildlife here than on my two previous Costa Rica trips combined. Fruiting trees on the property attract my favorite, the Toucans as well as Scarlet Macaws and lots of monkeys which were always a great way to start the day. The hiking is great whether in the jungle or down to the Pacific or Gulfo Dolce. Even after four days I didn't get to half of the trails I wanted to. At night, Philip does an excellent guided hike into a whole other world of creatures I would have sadly missed otherwise.
I can't wait to go back!

• Liked — Everything.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2008

We very much enjoyed our stay at Bosque. The grounds were beautiful and well manicured and the facilities were clean. You don't need to leave the property to see dozens of toucans and spider monkeys. The food was well-prepared and the service was very friendly and professional. We had a deluxe cabin that was clean and in a beautiful corner with a great view. The cabin was modestly equipped at best, with few shelves (we kept most of our clothes in the suitcases we kept on the chairs which made for a messy room.) Loved the outdoor shower. Hard to beat the hammock on the porch, too. There was a small room safe, but he doors to the cabin had no locks on them and they didn't close very well either. Not the end of the world, but little things that you hope for in higher end lodges. All of this, good and bad, is about what you get in many nature lodges in Costa Rica, and I've been in a dozen or more, but not for $400/night for me and my wife. Borderline crazy money for this level of accommodation with meals in CR. For that kind of money, they should include some transportation and drinkable water. Again, we enjoyed our stay there but felt it considerably overpriced.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge? Share your experiences!