“Best Decision for a Honey Moon” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Green Season Value
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Cabo Matapalo
New York City, New York
“Best Decision for a Honey Moon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We came to Lapa Rios for our honeymoon and it was the best decision we made.

With incredibly friendly and helpful staff, Lapa Rios made us feel like family the moment we arrived and were greeted with fruit juice. The land is spectacular. You're right in the jungle and a 10 minute walk to the beach.

We spent 1 week there and didn't feel like we wanted to leave. We absolutely enjoyed every moment.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

360 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We visited Lapa Rios October 2013 as a group of three friends, a musician, a software exec and a surgeon...and were in cabina #3. I have traveled and stayed in many spectacular resorts, and had a bit of trepidation about a thatched roof structure in a jungle during the "green" AKA rainy season. I was beyond surprised at the luxury I experienced at Lapa Rios and a staff that defines professional service. I truly believe that the Lapa Rios team including desk staff, nature guides, restaurant employees, et al. define and embody customer service and satisfaction. It seemed that our enjoyment was their only priority. The food was delicious and plentiful. Morning coffee delivery was lovely. We had squirrel monkeys, toucans, and iguanas every morning just in front of our deck. This was truly a dream. I can not thank everyone at Lapa Rios enough! Special thanks to Valerie and Edwin, our nature guides.

Room Tip: We had #3 which was closest to the main entrance. Wonderful views! Lots of monkeys every morning and...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Cayuga S, Manager at Lapa Rios Ecolodge Osa Peninsula, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear rockdoc3001,
greetings from the lush rain forest of the Osa Peninsula. Thank you very much for taking the plunge and visiting us at Lapa Rios Ecolodge. We loved having you and your friends staying with us. Thank you for pointing out not only the spectacular wildlife that you saw during your stay with us, but also for the great praise about our staff. We are proud to work with a local staff (including management) and provide the high level of service and guest satisfaction that you and your friends have experienced. We will pass your thanks on to Edwin and Valerie, two of our nature guides. Thank you also for the praise about the food. We are excited to hear that our concept of fresh and local ingredients prepared in creative ways finds such great acceptance. We hope to have you back at Lapa Rios soon. Thanks again and all the best.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed at Lapa Rios for our Honeymoon in October. It was so surreal from the moment our airplane landed at Puerto Jimenez. We were greeted at the airport by Lapa Rios staff and within 1 minute we had 2 Lapas (Scarlet McCaws) fly over our head and into the forest. We were given fresh coconuts with a bamboo straw before we took our journey into Lapa Rios. I read reviews about the drive to the lodge being bumpy and uncomfortable, but that wasn't the case. We loaded up in the Lapa Rios Toyota Four Runner and enjoyed a nice and scenic trip to the lodge. Once we got to the lodge we were greeted again with warm wet towels and a refreshing drink, and then enjoyed a wonderful lunch. After lunch we were showed around the grounds, explained all the tours and meals.
The staff at Lapa Rios were top notch. They all spoke spanish and pretty good english, however my wife and I wanted to learn and brush up on our spanish so the staff would speak slowly and explain themselves in both spanish and english. They were very patient with us. The waiters at the restaurant were all so nice and professional. And the guides for all the tours were very knowledgeable and personable. And the managers were so helpful. There could not be a better staff at this Hotel. The price includes all the on property tours, and we took full advantage of them. We did almost all of them, would of done them all but ran out of time. On the tours we saw everything the rainforest has to offer (gigantic trees, Flowers, All kinds of birds and reptiles), I could go on and on about all the animals we saw, but I will just post some pictures to save the typing. Our bungalow was absolutely amazing. Again, I read reviews about the hike being so long and up hill to and from the bungalows, but he didn't think that at all. Yes it is a little hike, but it is a beautiful walk with beautiful views of the rainforest and ocean, and a lot of different monkeys and birds flying around. We soaked it all in rather than ignoring it. The bungalow itself was perfect. We loved the coffee delivery at our bungalow in the morning. When the Howler Monkeys (Mono Congos) wake up so does everything else in the rainforest, and it is pretty early. So the coffee on our deck with the pacific sunrise, and the animals waking up was absolutely breathtaking. Even though we hiked and swam everyday, we were totally relaxed, and there is no way not to be at Lapa Rios. I highly recommend Lapa Rios to anyone going to Costa Rica or wanting to experience a successfully sustainable resort. We hope to visit soon. Pura Vida

Room Tip: We had Bungalow 10 which had amazing views and was on the lower half of the bungalows. The walk was...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

This was my second visit to Lapa Rios, and I immediately felt at home. The staff happily and knowledgeably answered our many questions about the culture, biodiversity, and work environment and helped us with our Spanish vocabulary as we helped with their English. The off-season visit meant fewer guests and incredible thunderstorms that woke us in the middle of the night to our delight. Valerie, a staff guide, arranged a lantern-making craft session to celebrate Independence Day with the local school children, educating us about the local culture and traditions. It is obvious that the staff and management at Lapa Rios care deeply about sustainability and are leaders in sustainable tourism.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

The level of customer service, quality of the food, employee's willingness to help make our stay nothing short of amazing, and the bungalows at Lapa Rios made our stay an absolute 'Night in Nature's Paradise.' The stars at night, the view of the ocean by day, and the wildlife made our stay an amazing and unforgettable one. We also loved the bungalows/accommodations with the beautiful landscaping, outdoor shower, open concept room, and quality of the room was superb.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Mukilteo, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Between the beautiful views from the room, the educational tours and the crazy evening thunderstorms, we had a fantastic time during our 5 day stay at Lapa Rios.

By far our biggest highlight was interacting with the staff. They were not only helpful in answering all our questions about the local culture, environment and sustainability on the property, but we enjoyed learning from them and they were engaging to be around. Of all the properties we have visited on our trip to Costa Rica, the service at Lapa Rios stood out the most, providing us an experience we will never forget.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Newport News, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I just want to tell you how much I enjoyed staying at Lapa Rios!! This was my first trip to Costa Rica (and first out of the country vacation) and my first time staying in a "5 Leaf" hotel!! My sister and mother have been to CR twice before this trip, and I used to give them a hard time about always going to CR. I now know why they keep going back! And I cant wait to return!! I have to tell you how great of a time I (as well as my Mom and sister) had!! The views are spectacular!! The wildlife was amazing to see!! Nothing like that in the U.S!! The staff was more than great! I cant tell you how much I enjoyed every single person that works at Lapa Rios! Everyone was so friendly and accommidating! They made sure we had a great time everyday! We only stayed 3 nights but it just felt very comfortable and I was sad to leave everyone. It was a very intimate atmosphere and to me it felt like being back at camp when I was younger and how you make quick friends and being very close knit with the staff and guests! The tours were awesome! Being able to walk around the primary rainforest and see the wildlife and waterfalls and streams was just beyond what I thought it would be. The food was also very tasty, every meal was just great! I also loved the pigs and twigs tour! It was great to see how sustainable your hotel is and makes me want to do more where I live and incorporate some of the things I learned at Lapa Rios in my everyday life. Thank you again for such a wonderful experience!! And I cant wait to have a return trip to Lapa Rios!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms were amazing! They all had amazing views and were very into nature. Cannot beat the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Lapa Rios Ecolodge Osa Peninsula? Share your experiences!