We traveled with our 2 year old and extended family during the peak season between Christmas and New Years. Eleuthera is wonderfully quiet, even during the high season, and the French Leave beach that Pineapple Fields is on was nearly deserted. At the busiest point, we counted about 20 people on the 3 mile stretch of pink sand beach. About 100 feet off shore (easy snorkeling access) is a stretch of coral reef with an amazing array of fish and rays. The grounds are beautiful, with all kinds of fruit trees you can eat from. The staff were friendly, professional, and attentive. The units are perfect for families, and in-unit laundry made it possible for us to come with carry-on luggage only. Tippy's is delicious but as expensive as anywhere you'll find on the island, and was closed on New Years day. I'm not sure what other restaurants the other reviews are talking about - the only other restaurant on Banks Road we found was about a mile and half towards Governor's Harbor called The Beach House Tapas Bar (great place). The deli at the office is good for breakfast or lunch, though quite pricey.
You definitely need to have a car for your entire stay here. We had rented a van for the first 2 days, but then realized how difficult it is to find real groceries or other restaurants. The "grocery stores" in Governor's are really just convenience stores, and are not always open during regular business hours. The closest real supermarkets are in Rock Sound or North Eleuthera (each >40 miles away). We rented our vehicles from Hilton Johnson, who went out of his way to help us.
Now for the areas that Pineapple Fields needs improvement:
-- The pool is not heated. In fall and winter, even the Bahamas can get chilly or rainy, and the pool was absolutely frigid. At the same time, the water on the Atlantic side where the beach is can get choppy and rough during winter months, so little kids can't really swim in the ocean most of the time. Our daughter loves to swim so it was unfortunate that she couldn't really enjoy the pool.
-- The housekeeping staff is really friendly and helpful, but most days they would take used towels without replacing them. The first day they told us they would wash any dishes in the sink, but on several days they left them unwashed. One day they forgot to clean the unit at all, and when we called the office they promised to send someone in the afternoon, but they never turned up. The next day the housekeeping manager was very apologetic and they did give us a credit on our bill.
-- There are no beach chairs or umbrellas on the beach. Other hotels on the island do provide these items for free, so I'm not sure why PF can't keep a stack at Tippy's for guests to borrow. They did rent folding chairs at the office, that's a bit of a haul and why should guests have to pay extra for chairs at a beach resort?
-- Speaking of extra costs, snorkel equipment, fins, life vests, DVD's, and cribs all cost extra. Little things, but good to be aware of.
Overall, we had a wonderful time, and with a few improvements Pineapple Fields could be an even better experience next time.
- Also Known As:
- Pineapple Fields Hotel
- Pineapple Fields Eleuthera
- Pineapple Fields Hotel Eleuthera
- Pineapple Fields Resort Eleuthera, Bahamas
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The resort and restaurant are located on the most beautiful beach in the Out Islands. The property features an oversized pool, acres of lush tropical landscape, a gourmet deli, boutique and sporting/rental shop. One-bedroom units feature a master bedroom and bath, living room with a queen size pull out sofa-bed, full kitchens, verandas with teak furniture, cable TV, ceiling fans, AC, wireless internet and in-room phones. Two-bedroom units include a second bath and bedroom with (2) twin beds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Tingo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Orbitz and Venere so you can book your Pineapple Fields Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.