“Village green treat” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Buck Inn to your Saves list
The Buck Inn
The Buck Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   The Village Green, Thornton Watlass, Bedale HG4 4AH, England   |
Dewsbury
“Village green treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

A memorable meal is as much about circumstance,environment and other people as it is about food quality. So it was with my wife and I when we drove up to our caravan in Bedale in heavy traffic and driving rain. When we arrived cooking was the last thing I wanted to do and, having seen that The Buck Inn has a steak meal deal on Thursdays, we decided to go.
The journey through estate countryside to Thornton Watlass was calming and we arrived at the idyllic village green hungry but not really expecting much more than a good pub feed.
We were delightfully surprised.
The deal was two steak meals and a bottle of very drinkable french Merlot for £35.
We had sides of onion rings(£2.50) and pepper sauce (£1.95) - so far so average. However, the steaks were succulent, the chips were homemade, there was a string of vined cherry tomatoes and salad. The above mentioned sides were probably the best I have ever eaten - and I've eaten a lot of onion rings! The pepper sauce was creamy and incredibly sharp, the onion rings were crispy,hot and thin.
We followed with a cheese board of local produce that could feed a small family for a week.
Total cost with bar bill was £52 and the service both in the bar and restaurant was warm friendly and efficient.
To top it off we got chatting to another couple from Milton Keynes and he was at school with me over 50 years ago. Another couple living locally chatted to us and we had a very convivial night
which prompted my opening comments about circumstances.
Apart from the steak night which is highly recommended the rest of the menu looked very tempting and I'm sure that Sunday lunch when there is a jazz band and/ or cricket match to enjoy is something really special.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Casino, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We booked into the Buck Inn using Discover Bookings and loved it. It was an old fashioned English pub with friendly staff who made us feel very welcome. An added bonus was a game of cricket being played between 6pm and 9pm had just started and the pub carpark was part of the field. We enjoyed a great dinner while we watched the cricket. The rooms were nice and clean and breakfast the next day was great. Highly recommend this as a place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Beds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I booked here on laterooms, knowing nothing about the inn or the area. Set amongst the beautiful Yorkshire Dales the village is small and quiet, with a cricket pitch within a modest straight drive of the inn. Indeed the wall of the Inn is one of the cricket pitch's boundaries. Cricket lovers will enjoy the memorabilia in the lounge of the Buck Inn.

The Innkeeper and his wife were very friendly, and though in my rush to book I had reserved a non en suite room I was moved into an en suite room without having to ask.

The food looked very good, but I had already eaten. The real ale was delicious, and there is a fine malt whisky collection behind the bar. A very pleasant evening was spent chatting to people I had met just minutes earlier. It's a very friendly place!

The room was comfortable and clean. It wasn't the most modern room, but it was nicely in keeping with the property. The bathroom was clean and well equipped, with nice toiletries supplied.

I was asked what time I wanted breakfast? What a refreshing change from more regimented places. I had the full English breakfast, which was delicious. This was included in the price of the room. When I checked out I was a little sorry I wasn't staying longer.

This is a great base from which to explore the area. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
South Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were passing one afternoon and called in to make a reservation for that evening. The Landlord was very helpful and reserved us a table for seven o'clock. On arriving we were pleasantly surprised by the warm and welcoming atmosphere - a table by the real log burner. The Landlady was pleasant and the food excellent. She even returned half way through the meal to make sure we had enough chips and vegetables! Great service. We shall definitely eat here again when in that area again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights recently, in warm, clean & comfortable accommodation. The real ale was very good, also the wine, and food was excellent at dinner and breakfasts. There was some good banter in the bar, and this pub is clearly at the heart of the local community. Also, they very kindly and unhesitatingly posted me a garment I'd left behind - great customer service!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Whickham Tyne and Wear
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Excellent food and top class real ales in a comfortable room with a nice coal fire in the winter. Add to this the cricket in the summer on Sundays in a pleasant quiet village with a good childrens park ( well away from the Buck) and the bonus of jazz every second Sunday lunchtime n what more can you want.. Mike the owner is well versed in real ale all from local breweries and the whole place has a nice ambiance

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Crewe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I first discovered the Buck when my in laws used to live in Bedale some twenty years ago.It was at that time, our Saturday night out with execllent food and beers and a nice group of regulars.My in laws since moved away from the area but I still regularly find time to travel the 140mils or so from Cheshire to spend a couple of nights at this great little pub for a great relaxing weekend.
Yes I know things have moved on in terms of decor, and yes I know I can go and stay in Harrogate with fancy wallpapers and bedspreads in a boutique hotel, but when I want to unwind in an unpretentious, quiet, out of the way place with great food and great beer, this is where I go.
My dog loves the place too (Tiger Lily the Shih Tzu) and dare I say it Ive got her on to Black Sheep !
Keep up the great work...we will keep coming back

Room Tip: Front view is good.........so is the back if you want a quieter room