Location is superb. On a magnificent palm-fringed beach sheltered by the bay and backed by green hills, with white sand and clear beautiful water - like a dream. Just amazing to wake up to in the morning, especially as ALL rooms look directly onto the sea, not 30 feet away from your windows! First floor rooms are best as you can walk out straight out of your room's patio onto the beach - very nice!
Rooms are nicely done and have some character, lovely decor reminiscent of a sailboat cabin with white paneling on the walls and dark wooden floors, doors and blinds. Lovely. But two things stood out as odd:
1. shower stall is not appropriate for this level of hotel - it looks like cheap fiberglass motel shower with old showerhead and much-too-used shower curtain. Water pressure/temperature is good though.
2. Bed was comprised of two twin beds pushed together. They were comfortable to sleep on - but why not put a queen there?
Food is hit and miss. Stay away from tuna carpaccio - terrible. Anything that comes with mashed potatoes - terrible - the potatoes are the ones from an instant potato mix... - not acceptable for a boutique hotel that charges US$350 per night and US$24 per plate of food. Breakfast sausages are awful. Was served a rotten yogurt at breakfast once. Juices are all from a can or from concentrate, disappointing considering the tropical location and the hotel rates. But club sandwich, burger, smoked swordfish and smoked salmon are good. Pizzas are good as well. Cocktails are good and well priced - and there is a happy hour with 2for1 on Wednesdays. Breakfast is included in nightly rate as is standard with such hotels.
Lastly service, which really is the last thing worth noting here.
- Smiles from staff are hit and miss like the food.
- Waiters are slow and half the time need customers' help placing something on the table. They'll just come and look at you until you make room for what they brought on your table...
- Breakfast service is disorganized and tables are being wiped with some sort of rag that smells of bleach right before you sit down. After complaining about the rottem yogurt at breakfast, the waiter simply picked up the yogurt with no word of regret or alopogy and silently brought another one of different flavor than before - again with zero commentary.
- Our room had a door lock problem where on average it took 2 minutes to turn the key 'just so' in order to get into the room. This problem presented itself right away when we were shown to the room on arrival, and the hostess actually couldn't get the door to open and asked my husband to try. After a few tries he did manage to open it... But instead of the door being fixed the next day, it remained this way for the duration of our stay.
- Calling housekeeping for a bottle of water meant a half hour wait and a second phone call to remind them of the request.
- Beach, although beautiful needs a bit more cleaning. They do rake the sand to make it nicer and clean the area where people lounge, but the sea brings all kinds of garbage to shore - there are plastic bottles, plastic bags, sardine cans, pop cans etc. floating around now and then or sitting in the clear clear water for everyone to see. But no one goes in to fish it out... Which seems odd to me. However as far as guest service, the guys minding the sun beds and the beach bar are great. Always attentive, friendly and available. We had lunch on the beach most days because of this, since it was just more pleasant and convenient than having to go into the restaurant.
Overall, this is a good hotel that needs better management and better staff training.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tamarind Beach Hotel & Yacht Club is a lively beachfront oasis with 40 seaside hideaways, surrounded by tropical gardens, on a long white sand beach. The low-rise property features two thatched-roof restaurants/bars: the "Palapa Restaurant", with a delightful open terrace right at the water edge, offering Italian and West Indian cuisine and the “Pirate's Cove” an informal Bar serving lighter fare. Beach bar, water sports (hydro bikes, windsurf, canoe and sunfish) and massage facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Tingo, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere and Jetsetter so you can book your Tamarind Beach Hotel & Yacht Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tamarind Beach Hotel And Yacht Club
- Tamarind Beach Hotel & Yacht Club Canouan, St. Vincent And The Grenadines