“Spread Eagle,very satisfying stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Spread Eagle Inn

and 1 more site!
You added Spread Eagle Inn to your Saves list
Spread Eagle Inn
4.0 of 5 Inn   |   Church Lawn | Stourhead Estate, Stourton BA12 6QE, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Stourton B&B and Inns
pixley
“Spread Eagle,very satisfying stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

My wife and I have just returned from a 1 night stay to see Stourhead Gardens.It was a recommend from a relative and it was most definitely a good one.The staff were friendly and helpful,we had a lovely room,dined in the restaurant and had an excellent meal and wine.The Inn has 3 guest beers on and all were well kept.
The Inn is leased from the National Trust so they have a big say in decor and therefore its not overdone(unlike some of these overpiced overdone gastro places you see).Its a warm atmosphere in a stunning but quiet location.A little pricey for b/b but you do get free admission to Stourhead house and gardens so thats a big saving.
We will definitely stay again.

• Liked — Location,food,service,ambience
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Bath
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2008

We stayed here just for one night to have a break and visit Stour Head gardens. I was a little worried when I read the latest reveiw on Trip Advisor, but was pleasantly surprised from the moment we arrived. Our king size bedroom was warm and had everything we needed, the bathroom was a little tired and needs updating but was perfectly adequate. Everything was spotlessly clean.
We enjoyed a very good meal in the evening. My husband's steak was a little over cooked but this was dealt with rapidly and it was no trouble at all to cook him another one. My Sea bream was superbly cooked. The staff and owner were all very friendly and efficient.

Probably the best part was being able to walk around Stour Head Gardens when the rest of the public have gone home. Even in January they were just stunning. We have decicded to return in each season to see all it's changes. I would have no problem in revisiting the Spread Eagle at the same time.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2008

This was our favourite pub with rooms until December 2007 and the day of the ownership change. I can only comment on what we have found as regular visitors, but it is not at all encouraging. This used to be a wonderful gastro pub, well worthy of its rooms and excellent culinary standing. The quality of service, staff attitude and food has fallen markedly. On both occasions we have visited, we have returned food to the kitchen because it was sent out either incomplete or mis-described. The soup has lost its flavour, the menu is boring and doesn't change, the loving care that used to go in the food preparation is missing, the once friendly waitresses now seem used to the complaints from diners, the lack of service staff is evident. There are no longer hearty lunches such as the excellent local ale pies, tasty casseroles/stews or glorious fishcakes. Corner-cutting is evident, for example little extras you used to get with some of the puddings have gone, the quality butter once served on a plate is now portion wrapped patts, your soft drink glass is now half filled with ice instead of enough to keep the drink cold and the lemon is missing. This might seem picky, but if the prices haven't gone down, but the quality, service and general guest experience has, you really do feel cheated when you pay. It will take a marked change in all areas for me to even consider returning.

Stayed January 2008
SpreadeagleBA12, Owner at Spread Eagle Inn, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
Please see our independant website reviews which give a greater proportion of fair and balanced reviews from a much wider audience.

Travelers are raving about these Stourton hotels

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2008

We spent a night here as a treat while both children were away and really loved it. If only I'd realised that it was included in the Good Pub Guide's 2-nights-for-the-price-of-one offer we'd have stayed longer. The rooms are cosy and traditional, and as there are so few of them it feels more like a country house. The restaurant food was excellent. The nicest bit was being able to wander around Stourhead Gardens on a summer evening after everyone else had gone home.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
eastbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2007

I have been a regular guest of the Spread Eagle Inn for at least seven years and each time I return it is always like going home. The staff are always friendly and helpful - nothing is ever too much trouble. The rooms are comfortable, the food is always excellent and no-one minds if I monopolise the scrabble board or backgammon when I am there! The stunning grounds of Stourhead are a bonus with free access for guests at the Inn.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northampton, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

I found this Inn after hours of trawling the Internet for somewhere to stay and the effort was completely worth it.

The Inn is part of the Stourhead Estate (I think) and lies in a very picturesque setting.

When we arrived the staff were very polite and helpful especially as my girlfriend is allergic to feathers (we had to swap a few pillows around!).

Dinner was delicious with a menu of home cooked food.

If you are thinking of staying it would be worth making time to visist the gardens of the estate (National Trust). Entrance is free if you are staying at the Inn. If you do visist the gardens I would recommend enterring by the main car park and walking down the hill though the gardens for spectacular views.

A great place to stay made even better by helpful friendly staff, a great menu and picturesque setting.

As with the previous review, it is worth remembering that it is an Inn (although this caused absolutely no problems when we stayed).

I hope to return in the near future

• Liked — Friendly staff and atmosphere
  • Disliked — There was nothing to dislike
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Near Oxford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2006

The Spreadeagle is, most definitely, an inn. Those expecting five-star luxury hotel style accommodation will be disappointed - but those expecting friendly, welcoming service, good food and drink, and an unrivalled location should be delighted with this inn.

I've marked it as above average rather than excellent simply because in the daytime it is filled with daytrippers to Stourhead Gardens, making it crowded and noisy. Once the sun starts to go down and the tour coaches leave, however, the inn changes character and become a local pub with a very decent menu (though vegetarians beware there is not a huge amount of choice). This does mean a bit of noise drifts up to the bedrooms from downstairs - and, more annoyingly, so does cigarette smoke - but I didn't find it too intrusive.

The rooms are not high luxury, but mine was large, comfy, and the sheets and towels were the best I've experienced in any hotel I've stayed in - soft and fluffy to the max! Television reception ranges from poor to unavailable given the inn's location in the valley - but who would want to watch television in such beautiful surroundings?

Which brings me to the major perk of staying at the Spreadeagle: free entry to the gardens. In addition, on registering you're given a key to the back door of the inn, enabling one to sneak out early to watch the sun rise over the gardens.

The only caveats to my recommendation are for vegetarians to be resigned to a limited menu choice (at least, this was the case when I stayed there), and also a word of caution for those with special access requirements: as an old inn, the floors are uneven in places, the stairs quite steep, and the main approach is across gravel, which I imagine would be difficult for a wheelchair user. This said, there may be an alternative entrance of which I wasn't aware.

I can't recommend the welcome I received from all staff or their attention to detail too highly.

If you want to enjoy Stourhead gardens to the full, I would say that a stay at the Spreadeagle is an essential part of the experience!

• Stayed September 2005

Been to Spread Eagle Inn? Share your experiences!