“Food is just lovely and like the food I was served in India!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The 1875 Restaurant - CLOSED

The 1875 Restaurant
Station Road, Menston LS29 6JH, England (Formerly The 1875 Anglo-Indian Restaurant)
+44 1943 871811
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Indian, Healthy
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: SHORTLISTED as overall 'BEST RESTAURANT' in Yorkshire by Deliciously Yorkshire. Experience rarity in the UK at least once in your lifetime - INDIAN FOOD BY INDIANS. 100% genuine bona-fide Indian regional cuisine by multi-award winning Michelin Star trained Indian Masterchefs from India in an upscale award-winning heritage setting built in 1875.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Food is just lovely and like the food I was served in India!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Do not come to this restuarant if you want a bog standard india meal!!! The food here is authentic and is just like I ate in India not the bright red masala sauces of many indian restuarants. The food is always cooked to order and good food shouldn't be rushed you are dining for the experience not just a quick hour turn around pub experience! Great food time to enjoy each others company, talk and have a few drinks!
As for being over familiar well I think that anyone who remembers all his customers and their names and what they had previously if you have been before should be on Mastermind not ridiculed. I personally like the fact I can ring up and book a table I am remembered from the moment I say my name, I like the fact the owner remembers my 8 year old and makes an effort to treat him with kindness and like a small adult which he also loves. I also like that he takes the time to recommend dishes and sides to compliment them.
If you want an impersonal service at a restuarant then don't come here, go somewhere else and leave the people who appreciate a good unrushed service to eat in peace!!

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

Had heard very good reports about this restaurant, so we saved going for a special occasion. Totally disappointed. The place itself was dismal with no atmosphere whatsoever. The entrance should have made us turn round there and then. Hindsight eh?? The bar area had three dining chairs plonked there. Hardly an inspiring aperitif. There was only one waiter for the whole restaurant who greeted, took orders served and cleared ( so they clearly didn't expect to be busy!) he actually was very charming and sociable but was almost too familiar, as if we had known him years. He must have called me by name 25 times at least!
The way in which he described the dishes and style of menu led us to believe we were in for a treat. What a let down!! He mentioned that nothing was precooked and Michelin trained chefs. I'd very much like to see that proved!
The way in which he described the menu reminds me of the fairy tale of the emperor and his new clothes!!! Maybe he believed that if he tells you that is what you are going to be eating then that's what you will believe! The starters were dreadful which we normally find most Indian restaurants don't go far wrong with. The main courses were tiny portions and both in the same sweet onion based thick sauce ie slop!
There were only three desserts to choose of which we chose two. The deep fried ice cream just tasted of dirty cooking oil. The kulfi was the standard bought mould turned upside down in a bowl, with lots of red sauce running over it. Neither worth £5.95. The meal was definitely not worth waiting for nor the value of it. The final straw was being asked if we wanted change when we gave our money to pay the bill. Yes i was going to leave a tip but would have preferred to do so of my own choice not just a presumption that I wouldn't wNt the change. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone if you've ever eaten a good Indian meal before. You'll know the difference!!

The1875Restaurant, Owner at The 1875 Restaurant, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you for your review and taking the time to write. As the owner of the restaurant I was upset to learn of your experiences, especially as you can see we typically receive excellent reviews. I personally serve all customers in the restaurant and have to say I was not made aware of any of the above at the time.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to contact me directly by clicking the 'Book Now...' icon on our website leaving your full name and booking details and the dishes you ordered so we can investigate this further as at present cannot find you on our records.

Please be assured that we take all feedback on board and look forward to receiving your direct details so we can look further into these matters.
“Yes and no!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

We visited 1875 after reading a review by Oliver. Actually the same evening as Kasrim and his family. I remember them as apart from one other couple we were the only people there! I'm not crazy about restaurants where I have to shout to be heard. On the other hand I don't like to have to whisper in order to not be overheard! The food was excellent but my husband felt the portions were a bit minimal. It. Was sufficient for a female appetite but not for a hungry male. The mango lassi is one of the best I've ever had and the kulfi was very nice. We thought it was very expensive for the size of the portions and it certainly won't be somewhere we would make a weekly visit to. We would go back...........When we have saved up!

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem for indian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Visited the restaurant based on a recommendation from a friend. Itw as worth the 45 minute drive from where we live. It is located at Menston Station so there was no worries about finding a parking space. The owner welcomed us and told us that none of the food there was precooked. The menu in the restaurant was quite different - no vindaloos or jalfreezi. It was more authentic Indian. We ordered three starters - the prawn and the fish starters were amazing. The main course of chettinad chicken and the lamb curry had an authentic Indian taste. Would visit again very soon

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Decided to go here based on the reviews on trip adviser, and we weren't disappointed. Had a wonderful meal in this lovely little restaurant. The place is focussed on delivering a fine dining experience focussed on genuine Indian food. Knowledgable and very friendly staff make this a place we will be visiting regularly!