“Inedible food, don't bother going there” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Adelaide
“Inedible food, don't bother going there”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I totally agree with Freddy's review in every thing he said including the comment that the chef is deluded! Could not agree more! We were there on adifferent evening and I would have to say this is the worst restaurant I have ever eaten at including basic cafes. I have eaten at top restaurants all over the world and if Vincenzos aspires to be a top restaurant for Adelaide the chef needs help.... and needs to attend cooking classes . I suggest the chef visits and learns from the chefs at Villa d' Este in Cernobbio in Lake Como Italy.The food there is Italian and exquisite. Not giving out menus is terrible and the waitress saying the chef cooks what he feels like is apalling! Sounds like he serves up the same thing each night The risotto we had was uncooked, surprising to find since the chef is Italian! I have cooked better risotto dozens of times following a recipe book! Serving meat on a platter to be eaten with fingers is also apalling! One would expect this on a picnic in a field not in a restaurant claiiming to be one of the best! I have also never experienced being brought wine without being shown the bottle to what I am drinking! For all I know it could have been cast wine! Serving the wine in fancy glass decanters might look impressive but I would like to see and know what I'm drinking straight from the bottle to the glass! The waitress insulted us by saying we did not appreciate the style the chef was presenting but I'm sorry.... serving inedible food in all courses is the sign of a bad cook not a new style! If you look at the top cafes and restaurants in Adelaide you will see they are always packed with people because the food is good! If Vincenzos was a good restaurant they would be booked out weeks in advance! They are not... hardly anyone else was in the place which indicates their reputation for good food has yet to be achieved! My guess is that unless the chef has a wake up call soon the place will close. Vincenzos would be packed if they cooked good quality Italian food at reasonable prices. Very, very disappointing and overpriced

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Melbourne, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disgusting Degustation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Vincenzos was reccomended to us so we went with high hopes. In a nutshell, its a massive con job. No warning as to the menu ($120 a head), each dish was salty and brown, average at best, highlight was mushroom risotto which was actually worse than anything I could make. Nothing green at all, desert was inedible (1 spoonfull of curdled souffle). Portion sizes were absurdly small, wait staff ridiculously verbose, 30 mins between courses, terrible decor (morgue-like ambience). Either the chef is totally deluded or this place is a calculated con job. Thinking of complaining to dept of fair trading. Dont go there.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Adelaide, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful celebration of food and wine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Vincenzo's is the perfect destination for a special dinner for those who enjoy exceptional food matched with beautiful wine and service the exemplifies attention to detail.

My husband and I went to Vincenzo's for a special celebration dinner and we were blown away by the experience. I admit, that the concept is a little unique and it is odd to go to a restaurant that has no menu, however don't let that colour your experience. The courses were well paced through the evening so that at no time were we rushed or felt like we were overfull.

The menu started with an appetiser of mortadello panini, which was served in a glass with pistachios on the bottom, then a foam of mortadello on top and right on top pannini crumbs. This was paired with a delightful Italian prosseco to wet the taste buds.

As a starter, the chef had sliced a house cured four year old aged prosciutto which was served with wood oven bread. The smoky bread complemented the delicious prosciutto which had the right balance of fat to meat to just melt in the mouth.

The entrée was confit of tuna with picked vegetables served with Charles Melton rose. As someone who doesn't ordinarily order seafood, I found this was amazing. It was perfectly cooked and the balance of flavours was wonderful.

The pasta was our favourite for the evening. The chef excelled with hand made orichette with squid ink, pepper, chilli, salt and fresh calamari. It was served with a lovely french chardonnay.

The main was piece of 90 day aged scotch fillet which had been cooked over a wood fire. It perfectly complemented a big bold shiraz

Finally dessert was an awesome peanut butter gelato with raspberry gelatine and peanut/almond meal crumb. Served with Madeira.

The night was a lingering experience through different types of food presented beautifully. Having eaten a number of degustation menus throughout Adelaide and overseas, I can say that Vincenzo's are clearly on the mark and the top of our list to return. The service was simply second to non.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Worst food in my life.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Well... this is without doubt the worst resataurant I have been to anywhere in the world over the last fifty years. The food was inedible even before it was drenched in brine as dense as the Dead Sea. No fresh food, sides or garnishes were sighted. No plating skills. No texture. No attention to dishes being different from the last. All overcooked mush. Thankfully the dishes were meanly small, because I couldn't eat even that amount. Then to charge $A200 per person is breathtaking in its audacity and delusional ego- I'm still reeling days later because you can go to the best restaurants in Australia for the same money or less. I've been to excellent restaurants in Adelaide like The Press Food and Wine for a LOT less. Seriously, I would rather eat cat-food out of a tin than go to Vincenzo's ever again, it would have far less salt and a lot more flavour, although the texture would be similar. He is well past it and should shut up shop before he poisons someone or gets thumped for his abominable food.
Much is made of "negotiating" the menu, the number of courses and price you'd like to pay. Beware. None of these things happened last Friday night. We were told the meal was $A120 per person and $79 for accompanying wines. Everyone in the restaurant was served the very same plates of grey or brown mush at the same time after 8pm regardless of whether they arrived at 7pm, 7.30pm or 8pm. But as you can imagine, the early birds were riotous on bad wine before the food arrived (extra costs no doubt). There was some negotiating gluten free and vegetarian variations but still no clue as to what each dish might comprise. The head of service had no idea how many courses were on offer, and when she checked with the ancient chef, her husband, he had no idea either. Given that the food all looked pre-cooked day-old pot dishes, the chef should have had some idea. In any event ALL the people who shared our dining room (one of three) left before the meal was concluded. None of us were asked if we were enjoying the meal for obvious reasons, and no alternatives were offered for dishes unfinished because they were inedible. No negotiating occured re the bill for the shortened and very unsatisfactory meal (I can't bring myself to call it food) and had we not had guests, we would certainly have sent back all but one of the dishes and refused to pay most of the bill -that would be a first. The only edible dish in the entire degustation menu was four pieces of procciutto served on a board with some lovely olive oil and a hunk of ordinary bread but even this had faults - no implements for eating it were offered (finger food apparently) and the accompanying very mediocre local wine ruined it. This is suposed to be high end dining, not a peasant picnic and in any case, the women's basins for washing hands looked dodgy. I'm surprised there haven't been some food poisoning episodes here - perhaps there have. People have certainly walked out and refused to pay before, we have since heard.
The other three savoury dishes we ate were dry fish in brine, dry rice and rabbit mince in brine and thin spagetti in brine -we refused the last savoury course before we saw it - something in brine I expect. The desert was a cut up fig and ice-cream, nothing special but at least not salty (and I LOVE salt.)
This place is riding on a reputation earned way in the past but which no longer applies even remotely.The hidden menu is an excuse for serving up dried up old inedible left overs and the "negotiations" are purely theatre, all diners got essentially the same food at the same time. Add to this an unloved environment and shabby toilets needing maintenance and the place was an absolute disaster. Do not spend any money here. If you want excellent Italian, go to Assagio's nearby.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
“Underwhelmed of Parkside”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This place is a little bit like the emperors clothes, people tell you how marvelous everything is but there really is nothing there. They asked us if there was anything we did not like and one of our guests said oysters, as if we needed to worry about any seafood! The first three courses were all charcouterie which was okay but nothing special, followed by a version of chicken noodle soup with very heavily smoked chicken, none of our party liked it. The main part of the meal was grilled lamb which was burnt on the outside and chewy throughout served with wedges and a leafy salad. If this is the best Adelaide has to offer then we are really in trouble. Finally the dessert was a mousse with kiddies popping lollies as a garnish to fancy it up. Service was ok but the food is truly uninspiring.

• Visited February 2012