“Would be great if it were a little bit cleaner” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Marco Polo Motor Inn

You added Marco Polo Motor Inn to your Saves list
Marco Polo Motor Inn
3.5 of 5 Motel   |   42 Parramatta Road, Summer Hill, Ashfield, New South Wales 2130, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Summer Hill
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Would be great if it were a little bit cleaner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

A good three star hotel with excellent service. Free parking is provided which is rare close to Sydney city center. The motel about 20 minutes by bus from the central station during night time. It is 500m from Summer Hill train station. Be ware that not all trains stop at this station, but we found the frequency (Approx once in 15min at most times) to be fairly decent.

The beds and furniture was good for a three star place. The room had a air conditioner, bar fridge, TV, tea/coffee making facilities, decent bathroom accessories (much more than what you would expect from this class). The premises was very secure.

My review would have been far far better if we had not had a little bit of damp smell and a cockroach in our room. We had to keep the windows open due to the smell. The staff said that the cockroach might have come in as a result of that.

Never the less, the lady at the counter was extremely cooperative. We were shown another alternate room but it seemed to have a bit of cigarette smell. She offered a full refund if we wanted to move out the next day. Given that there were few economical options close to the city, and we were going to be out of the motel most of the times, we decided just to stay on.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

Have stayed at Marco Polo several times over 5 or 6 years, this time had 2 rooms for large family group. The service and quality are consistent and good value. Rooms are quite spacious, and comfortable, ideal place to leave the car and catch the city bus across the road. I'll go back there next time I'm in Sydney.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

Sydney, Australia's most populated city, the largest of all, the one I couldn't wait to visit. We finally found the motel which we booked due on recommendation. The rooms were a pain to get to, they were upstairs, but it was quite worth it. The price was affordable and the rooms quite small, but most of our stay at Sydney would involve driving everywhere, so the rooms didn't contribute much to our stay... However, the beds were clean, there was free Foxtel, the kids absolutely loved it. Would consider returning.

Room Tip: Try getting a ground floor room. It was a pain to drag luggage up those stairs.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Last year, in December, me and my friend went to Sydney for the first time.
The experience was amazing and Marco Polo offers a budget priced option.
With full support 24/7, the rooms were clean and tidy, provide enough facilities which i believe can not get anywhere at that reasonable price.
The hotel is near used public transport, which is only a short walk away. I would have saved most of the cost of the motel by avoiding car parking charges in Sydney's CBD, never mind the avoided stress. The rooms are basic, but functional and clean, with cable TV. Towels were plentiful and basic toiletries supplied.It was generally quiet, but there appears to be some renovation going on at present, with drilling noises from about 7.30 am. Overall, this was a reasonably good experience, and good value for money.

Room Tip: Good Value for Money, looking for a hotel near city, look on this one.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

Traveling with three kids we just needed a cheap base close to Sydney CBD to explore the city the next day. We found Marco Polo on booking.com and paid $142 for a room that more or less fitted the five of us.
This review would have been a lot more positive (i.e. mentioning the friendly staff) had I not woken up to find two big bed bugs that had dinner and breakfast on my expense. Their (my) blood is now staining the floor but despite the sweet revenge I felt yucky all day.
So: Marco Polo is a cheap motel and it would be cheerful if it wasn't for the little suckers...

• Stayed January 2012
third rock from the sun
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

stayed from the 26th nov to the 3rd Dec. when we finally arrived in our humongous Kluger (I think by toyota) I pulled into reception park in front of the security gate.. OK, so I had read the previous reviews prior to booking and looked at the candid photos, looks a bit scary..
Sharon is the owner, is kind, caring, personable, accommodating and genuine!
Paid $1,000aud for a 7 night stay family of 4. The Aria awards were Sunday and there was some car show going on so they were booked up.
first issue, my Mum is elderly and not very mobile, I thought that the room would be on the 2nd floor where the car park is.. oops, that's rooms in the 100's ours was in the 200's. OK, I knew in advance there wasn't a lift. we managed the stairs with her, slow but we managed. Then when we got to our sleeps 4 family room, the floors were tile and freshly mopped.. generally not an issue, but freshly mopped tile? makes the floors slippery and with an elderly Mum susceptible to falls, not going to work.. so down I went to Sharon in reception, she switched our room without hesitation from a sleeps 4 to a sleeps 5 which has carpet! Albeit old, but it had carpet.. While it was old, it was not dingy or dirty. just old as in outdated.
There isn't smoking inside the rooms, but they do have ash&butt receptacles in the hall ways. Even though it is listed as a non smoking property. At night the guests were either sitting in the doorways, or out at the ends of the walkways.
Noise.. We didn't encounter much as the walls are brick which attribute to their statement of soundproof walls.. we brought ear plugs per the suggestion in the review from "CozyPrincess" but never used them. They started some refurbishing while we were there but we were never inconvenienced by it.
security: the fact that you can't get into the property without a keycard is a good thing. there is a motel across the street and down a bit that is open.. I remarked to my daughters that I wouldn't want to stay there because of that reason. There isnt much noise from the neighbors on the back or side. so that was good.
Being there with my elderly Mum, 20 year old and 16 year old daughters and being somewhat of a fraidy cat (silly sounding I know, but I'm protective) I felt very safe during our entire stay.
the laundry is on the ground floor and the only negative is the steam in the room when the dryer is on.. there are 2 washers and one dryer. ironing board and iron (also in your room)
the cost to wash is $3 and to dry is $2. we used 2 washers (25 minute cycle) and 1 dryer (says 25 minutes to dry but actually was 40 minutes) and had to do another dry cycle since we had 2 loads in the one dryer.. but it was really fine.
Parking: there is limited parking spaces on the 2nd level. and boy are they narrow! I had a toyota Kluger and had to either take 2 spaces, park along the wall or take the far end space, tuck in the mirrors, have everyone get out from one side and pray that I could get back out when I had to leave.. so, compact car would be the choice but we had a wheel chair to deal with.
OH, and there aren't family rooms on the 1st level, only 2nd..
Beds were very comfortable. I don't usually sleep well in hotel or motel beds. but I was actually finding myself sleeping quite well and rested! Mattresses were firm but not overtly firm.. practically perfect! And they were not your average cheap 4-5" thick, they were acually quite nice and about 10-12" thick and quilted top. at least in our room they were. bedside reading lights on the queen bed were a nice touch.
Phone didn't work, was always blinking but didn't matter we had our own phones.
We had plenty of room in the fridge for soda's, and frozen foods. they have cutlery, plates, mugs, glasses and washing soap for the dishes. coffee, tea, hot cocoa, cream and sugar..
Microwave, hot pot & toaster.
now the bathroom............
The sink was a nice new pedestal style sink. did I mention the sink was nice? ~~giggles~~ the bathroom leaves very little to be desired. The shower stall is very small and very small....only good thing about the shower was the water pressure and temperature of the water. But again, it is very small.. The toilet is literally right next to the glass of the shower stall and made for some very interesting acrobatics for cleansing. (not trying to be gross, just trying to give you a realistic idea) and I'm 5'6,140lbs...
Brought a small can of lysol, sprayed (just for my own piece of mind, I do this when I stay at any hotel) the shower floor, toilet, sink, beds(comforter, pillows etc) door knobs, light switches and basically any touchable surface including the tile floor.. germs are germs, and when you're staying in ANY hotel, you need to stay safe...
Having lived in a dorm during my college years, when I travel I always wear flipflops (shower shoes) in a hotel shower..
did the blacklight patrol on the floors, beds & bathroom... no stains or discoloration anywhere.. (I'm in hotels quite alot)
there is a drying line if you have some wet clothes.
out of the 8 days, only 1 day room wasn't made up and that is because we left late and they didnt come back I guess.. but Sharon had it taken care of.

Location was brilliant but getting to the other side of the road in a car required going around the block.
didn't take the bus but it was across the street and didn't pay attention if there was a stop out front or not.
no restaurant, that would have been really good.
good value for the money, clean comfortable room, nice beds, good amenities, safe and secure feeling,
wireless internet wasn't too slow which was a plus. daughter was video chatting with her boyfriend and was "kicked" off a couple times but overall was good for everything we were online for(directions, time's etc)
no printer and printer in reception does not work. you could email item to Sharon and she would then print it out for you. pay phone in reception area too..
had to only give it 4/5 on serivce since they forgot our room one time..
I would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
South Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

As this is a budget priced option, I didn't have high expectations. Street appeal is poor, not helped by the "drive through" window at the entrance and the massive sliding gate to the car park. The reception area was open so it it wasn't necessary to use the drive through, and staff were very warm and welcoming. Beyond the previously mentioned gate is a secure car park, so I left my car there during my two day visit and used public transport, which is only a short walk away. I would have saved most of the cost of the motel by avoiding car parking charges in Sydney's CBD, never mind the avoided stress.
The rooms are basic, but functional and clean, with cable TV. Towels were plentiful and basic tolietries supplied.It was generally quiet, but there appears to be some renovation going on at present, with drilling noises from about 7.30 am. Overall, this was a reasonably good experience, and good value for money.

Room Tip: The further back and higher you are, the quieter it is!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Ibis Budget St Peters
#1 of 1 in St Peters
3.0 of 5 stars 317 reviews
Comfort Inn & Suites Burwood

Been to Marco Polo Motor Inn? Share your experiences!