“Loved it loved it loved it!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Emirates Wolgan Valley Resort & Spa

You added Emirates Wolgan Valley Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Emirates Wolgan Valley Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2600 Wolgan Road, Wolgan Valley, New South Wales 2790, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wolgan Valley
hong kong
“Loved it loved it loved it!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

Wow I loved this magical place!

Driving here itself was fun once I got myself on the right motorway.  The last gravel bit was kind of an adventure esp since at one point I was going a bit too fast for my own good.

My room was slightly smaller vs what I expected and the cabins/rooms were closer to each other vs what I expected.  But it was still perfect.

It was an expensive place to stay but considering the size of the property (4000 acres) and that it was 50% occupied only when I was here, you can imagine how secluded and serene this place was.   Woke up Sunday morning & expected a lazy lounging morning, looked out to see the interplay between the sunrise, the blankets of mist wrapped around the 1832 homestead, the birds chirping away.  It was like a painting but better!

Add to that since the meals were all inclusive (only a service fee charged for room delivery) once in my room with the private heated pool (25-28 degrees) the double facing fireplace, the super comfy sofa with angora wool throw, super chill music, free welcome bottle of red wine, 2 patios with great views, organic tea leaves from Byron Bay and the best stocked minibar, nice clean bathtub with a view, etc   the room was just too comfortable... if time and budget permitted,  I could have easily holed up myself for days.

But it was definitely worth venturing out to see the wombats, wallaroos etc.  The 530 pm safari was a highlight (you learn a bit re: their conservation efforts)  While room service was a treat, the meals were worth venturing out for.  Even breakfast was excellent!

Only gripes
-got charged $12 for toothbrush/paste.
-Left room at 5 pm with a "step in" sign (= clean the room!) came back 845 pm room was not yet cleaned/turndown and my lunch was still in the room.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

The exceptional service exceeded our expectations and the Resort's willingness to assist with my marriage proposal was nothing short of outstanding.

The accommodation was intimate, yet relaxed. The food and wine was world class. The ambience was serene and the good will of the waiting staff was polite and good humoured.

As an ecologist, my (new) fiancé was particularly interested in the Resort's on-going rehabilitation of native flora and fauna as well as the control of pests/weeds, which over a 4,000 hectare property is a mammoth task to undertake.

A special thanks to those of your staff with whom we interfaced, namely Megan, Sandy, Nadine and the two Bens.

My fiance and I have had no hesitation since returning to Sydney to recommend the Wolgan Valley as the place to stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

It was my boyfriends 30th b'day and I was googling places as I wanted somewhere special to take him. I came across "Wolgan Valley" website that sold me right there and then. It wasn't until we got to the resort that I thought the website did it no justice at all as it was soooooooo much better! This was the best weekend away i have ever had, indulgent, romantic and truely amazing - nothing could be faulted and nothing was left undone. The staff were so proud of their resort - you could see it in their service. Jason, Kylie, Emily, Rhonda and Co. - you helped make our stay - thankyou! For anyone flinching over the price - don't! My only worry was that i would leave there thinking I could have spent the money better but I didn't as it was worth every, single cent! AND it even snowed on us for 10 minute whilst mountain bike riding - what an experience!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

Wolgan Valley ticks all of the boxes. It thoroughly deserves its 'Hot Pink' rating in the neilsonparc lust list. The setting is spectacular, the furniture, fixtures and art works are quality throughout, the private indoor pool and fireplace make even the entry-level villas awesome places to spend a weekend and the (included) food and wine are a real treat. Thankyou Emirates!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

My wife & I recently celebrated our second wedding anniversary at Wolgan Valley Resort over the weekend of 20-22 August , 2010. This one will be hard to top, for sure. I work at another Leading Hotel of the World & was thus able to secure us a discounted industry rate per night. That said, having experienced all that Wolgan has to offer, I'd be willing to pay the full rate, and I will most definitely be sending guests from our property to Wolgan Valley.

The drive there from Sydney is admitedly an adventure. Definitely go through Katoomba on the easy, fast moving M4 & NOT Bell's Line Rd, which is steep & very curvey. The last 20 km is on a loose gravel road, but once you enter the gates, all worries subside. You leave your vehicle at the entrance carpark & are escorted by 4x4 up to the main lodge. From there, the Jurassic Park experience just began. We were stuffed on their glorious food the whole time! 5 course dinner degustations, 3 course a la carte lunches (worth trying their lunch specials, like duck pie) & buffet breakie with a choice of hot main...almost TOO much! We were pleasently surprised to find a comp'd bottle of sparkling awaiting us in our suite. Each of the "Heritage Suites" are like individual cabins, with the much lauded private heated plunge pool (they are amazing) a large living area with surround sound (would be nice if they had speakers in the pool area?!?), double fronted fireplace, super soft king 4 poster king bed, a his/hers change area bigger than my first college apartment, and a massive bathroom with large tub & the best rainfall shower ever! What's more, the in-room movies were comp'd all weekend, all current flicks too! Very worth staying up late. The outdoor activities were fantastic, with the kindest bloke Wade running the 4x4 safaris (we saw HUNDREDS off macropods, including a few wombats) & the very knowledgable local Claire doing the hikes. I must say I was rather disappointed that the trail rides are a "minimum 3 years equestrian experience" with the stable hand even admitting the horses "are not bomb proof & are intended for more expert riders" but we did enjoy a short guided ring ride.

Overall the staff were top notch, the food amazing & filling, and surrounding vistas & wildlife breath taking. The website doesn't do this place justice (they need virtual tours of the rooms!) But don't think twice; just book & thank me later!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

We just returned to Wolgan after an earlier summer visit last Dec. This time mid winter, cold nights, mostly sunny days, a little rain. Was superb; staff more confident, food still to very high standard (not quite as great as NYE) and the resort is now perfectly settled in after a year. Tennis courts are now done, as is horse riding complex. Horses were highlight of my stay on last day; new horse manager is no nonsense tough as nails type but organised a truly wonderful ride amongst stringy bark gums, roos and wallabies, amazing birds and swollen creeks. The villa we stayed in this time (19) as good as first time and wonderfully cozy on cold winter night in front of fire. Eg of top notch service was asking for breakfast at 11 in riding gear and it being no trouble despite them probably having packed up. I love Country Kitchen for lunch and generally riding their mountain bikes across the property. My other tip is to make sure you ride, walk or 4x4 out to playtpus deck on the property - it is magical.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

We came across the hotel when looking for ways to spend our skywards (Emirates) points. We were initially cautious, thinking that Emirates may have put a Dubai touch on the Australian Outback, but the resort was very sympathetic to the natural surrounds.

We arrived via the Bells Line of Road, following the clear instructions provided by Wolgan Valley. The last 10 kms were on a dirt road, driving about 20kms/hour. The slow drive was a fantastic opportunity to view the valley as it opened up from the top of the ridge to the valley floor. Once we arrived, we were transferred onto a 4wd to be taken up the main resort. The trip from Sydney city took just on 3 hours including a short break.

We were taken through the main building - which overlooked the rest of the resort and had 2 wonderful fireplaces on to counteract the cold weather outside.

We were taken to our room, better described as a 1 bedroom house. Indoor pool, gas fireplace, huge walk-in robe, bathroom with separate toilet, bathtub overlooking the garden, shower with a glass ceiling, 2 plasma TVs showing new movies, extensive minibar and a 4 poster bed. The minibar was the best indicator of the clientelle at this resort - bottles of wine start at $110, fantastic variety of teas, juices and waters for free. No need to pack your hairdryer - they had a Parlux hairdryer in the room, not the weak hairdryers found in other 5 star resorts.

The dining venues are limited, but food options are limitless. Most room service is free, with only a delivery charge applied. Breakfast is a 5 course feast of fruit, yoghurt, porridge, pastries plus main course. A cafe-style room is open about 8 hours / day, serving salads, soups, pastas, and mains. Dinner was a set 5 course meal with option for the main. Local wines are included in the room price and offered freely with lunch / dinner. Changes to the menu are accommodated without any fuss. Everything we tried tasted fantastic. Much fuss was made to emphasise that the majority of food comes wtihin 150kms of the resort, including a variety of local wines.

We tried the 4wd nature tour - a great way to orient yourself around the resort for longer stays. We saw a number of kangaroos during the tour and tour guide was a wealth of knowledge. Tour finished with some nice hot chocolate in the main building, though we were advised that in warmer weather, this is held outdoors. We also took a walking tour around the site, which was a good 2 hour walk. The tour highlited just how little we knew about local flora and fauna despite living in Australia our whole lives.

Service standards across the resort were fantastic - the resort manager is always circulating to check on guests, see if there are any issues, etc, and all staff meet a high service standard. 2 years ago when booking a luxury resort, we purposely did not pick a place in Australia as we were sick of Australian "service standards". Pleased to report that the service at Wolgan Valley was fantastic - not in your face, mild, no difficulty with any issues etc and they have reached service standards overseas.

There is no mobile coverage once you are about 5 mins out of Lithgow, but free wireless internet is avialable throughout the resort.

Unfortunately as we were only there 1 night we didn't have enough time to try the spa, gym, sauna etc. but will look to try these on a return trip. One night is not long enough to just sit around and enjoy the magnificence of the location and the resort. Highly recommend this not only to tourists looking for a touch of luxury, but also to all Australians to really see what Australian nature is all about.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Emirates Wolgan Valley Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!