My wife & I recently celebrated our second wedding anniversary at Wolgan Valley Resort over the weekend of 20-22 August , 2010. This one will be hard to top, for sure. I work at another Leading Hotel of the World & was thus able to secure us a discounted industry rate per night. That said, having experienced all that Wolgan has to offer, I'd be willing to pay the full rate, and I will most definitely be sending guests from our property to Wolgan Valley.
The drive there from Sydney is admitedly an adventure. Definitely go through Katoomba on the easy, fast moving M4 & NOT Bell's Line Rd, which is steep & very curvey. The last 20 km is on a loose gravel road, but once you enter the gates, all worries subside. You leave your vehicle at the entrance carpark & are escorted by 4x4 up to the main lodge. From there, the Jurassic Park experience just began. We were stuffed on their glorious food the whole time! 5 course dinner degustations, 3 course a la carte lunches (worth trying their lunch specials, like duck pie) & buffet breakie with a choice of hot main...almost TOO much! We were pleasently surprised to find a comp'd bottle of sparkling awaiting us in our suite. Each of the "Heritage Suites" are like individual cabins, with the much lauded private heated plunge pool (they are amazing) a large living area with surround sound (would be nice if they had speakers in the pool area?!?), double fronted fireplace, super soft king 4 poster king bed, a his/hers change area bigger than my first college apartment, and a massive bathroom with large tub & the best rainfall shower ever! What's more, the in-room movies were comp'd all weekend, all current flicks too! Very worth staying up late. The outdoor activities were fantastic, with the kindest bloke Wade running the 4x4 safaris (we saw HUNDREDS off macropods, including a few wombats) & the very knowledgable local Claire doing the hikes. I must say I was rather disappointed that the trail rides are a "minimum 3 years equestrian experience" with the stable hand even admitting the horses "are not bomb proof & are intended for more expert riders" but we did enjoy a short guided ring ride.
Overall the staff were top notch, the food amazing & filling, and surrounding vistas & wildlife breath taking. The website doesn't do this place justice (they need virtual tours of the rooms!) But don't think twice; just book & thank me later!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley offers the rare opportunity to experience true luxury in a spectacular Australian bush setting. The property borders the Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage wilderness region, just 190kms from Sydney. Nestled between two National Parks and spread out at the foot of towering cliffs, Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley is set within its own private conservation and wildlife reserve. The resort itself occupies just two percent of the total land area of 7,000 acres and its design, reminiscent of traditional rural Australian homesteads, reflects a timeless appeal and a natural sense of place in the vast and dramatic landscape of the Wolgan Valley. The 40 individual suites each have their own private deck and indoor / outdoor swimming pool. The main homestead offers distinctive dining, luxury facilities and the stand-alone Timeless Spa features six double treatment rooms, and a range of signature treatments. The seclusion of Wolgan Valley creates a natural sanctuary where guests can relax and explore in unsurpassed luxurious comfort. This is the quintessential luxury Australian bush experience - a unique blend of wildlife, dramatic natural beauty, conservation, heritage in a spectacular Australian bush setting, which can be explored through a range of activities including four wheel drives, heritage tours, wildlife spotting and horse riding. All meals are included in the tariff with a strong focus on regional and seasonal produce, and where possible organic ingredients are used. Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley is a member of One&Only Resorts and Luxury Lodges of Australia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo and Venere so you can book your Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wolgan Valley Hotel Blue Mountains
- Wolgan Valley Resort And Spa