“Location, Location, Location at Bargain Price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Beach House Hotel

You added The Beach House Hotel to your Saves list
The Beach House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4851 Ave Isla Verde, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
“Location, Location, Location at Bargain Price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

If you want an inexpensive place on the Isla Verde beach, this is the place for you. My husband and I stayed there on March 18 and paid $175.45 which included taxes. Parking is on-site and only $10.50/day. The price included complimentary breakfast, two rum drinks and free beach towels, umbrellas, lounges. We were also impressed with the high-end towels and shampoo/lotion products. The rooms are definitely the cheap motel variety but they did have high-end air conditioners which were very quiet and the beds were comfortable. If you want more upscale accommodations with sound-proof rooms on the beach you will have to pay much more. I checked with the Marriott Courtyard for the same date and they quoted me $310/day without taxes. Didn't even bother to check the huge resorts (El San Juan, Ritz, Intercontinental) as their prices are always way beyond our budget.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bar/restaurant area. However, we stayed in a corner room (#12) right a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Management T, Manager at The Beach House Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
CherChar thanks for your Review!!! We are glad you had great time on your stay and enjoyed what we offer and the value price we are compared to the big chain hotels.

May you return soon to our beach!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is a really awful and loud, loud place. Our intention was to have a restful and relaxing beach vacation, therefore we decided to stay in this residential part of the beach, trying to avoid the commercial area of those noisy establishments near the big hotels...What a mistake we made!

This hotel (motel) is the worst ever when it comes to noise and quality of life for tourists. They blasted loud music past 3:00 am, with a lot patrons laughing and speaking very loudly. The Hotel and the management have no respect and regards for the fact they are NOT located in a commercial zone, and are NOT allowed by Puerto Rican zoning laws to make such noise after 11:00 pm, including weekends. As tourists, we purposefully selected this area because we knew of the designated tourists zoning laws in Isla Verde.

During the day the hotel extended outdoors all over the public beach area, taking over the space to put up a playground with water slides, volleyball nets and beach umbrellas, as if the public area ONLY belonged to them. There was no place for us to escape and sit quietly to read our books or just to enjoy the sounds of the waves. Soon after putting all their equipment out (by 11:00 am) they opened their bar and began to play loudly their "boom, boom, boom" base music, playing it until late at night. This was by far an abuse and disrespect to the tourists like us who wanted to enjoy a restful day at the beach. During the weekend stay we had at most five hours free of loud music.

The only good thing this hotel has is the beautiful public beach in front of them, but they themselves are ruining it, by trying to create a low class night "hot spot" that attracts many undesirable elements who make noise during the night; and by taking over the beach during the day as if it was their own playground.

Not a place to stay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rodz N, thank you for reviewing our property.

Regarding your comment of our business not abiding to zoning laws, if the hotel was not within in commercial zone it would have all the permits to operate and neither would not be all the dozens of restaurants and bars that are located one next to the other across the street, including the Howard Johnson Hotel.

Every other Wednesday, Disney Cruises, come into port in San Juan and we are one of the optional tours for the ship guest of a day at the beach. It takes place from 10:00 am until 2:00 PM. we offer amenities to those special quests that are put up and taken down the same day, such as the water slides, the volleyball nets and the few other games.

We have small beach bar and restaurant that in no way would anyone who is on vacation and having fun consider "low class night spot" like you claim, our clientele is mostly local, so perhaps if that is your perception of our professional class and families that come here to enjoy the beach and our facilities. They make up the average customer at our bar and restaurant. By the way many of the neighbors have had parties and even corporate events in our property.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

I also prepaid my room when I checked in. But when I booked for two nights, the website and confirmation said 355. But when I got there, the hidden fees and "taxes" brought my price up to 456. When I got to my room, it was more like a cheap motel. No view, no refrigerator, cheap lighting and a bathroom window that lead to the hallway covered by a draped towel. The reservation said free breakfast, but after I ate the waiter said that applied to the continental that had finished two hours earlier. They charged me $90 for a bottle of champagne on the beach but had a sign at the bar saying the bottle was 75. The room was noisy from the party outside, but that didnt really bother me as much. At dinner my wine glass had lipstick from someone else. The ceviche wasn't cured enough. The servers, while polite, were extremely slow. They gave me two free drink tickets when I checked in. So when I checked out we sat to have a virgin pina colada. At that time the bartender said that the ticket could only be used with a rum and coke containing Don Q and charged me $12 for the drinks. The beach is pretty and the beach furniture was nice but for the money this was a terrible rip off. Next time I will spend an extra 100 and stay at La Concha or anywhere else for that matter.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Management T, Manager at The Beach House Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Keydean P, Thanks for reviewing our hotel. Regarding the taxes and fees, all hotels have taxes and fees, we are not the exception. The continental breakfast is served from 8:30 to 10:30 that information is information that is given each guest upon arrival. If come to the restaurant to eat after that time is not part of that complimentary service. The set up for the continental breakfast at a different area than the restaurant itself it is a self yourself set up.

The bottle of Veuve Clicquot at $75.00 is subjet to a 7% Tax and generally the service fee is 15%, if you do the math for that you will see that you were not charged the wrong amount. The complimentary Don Q, basic rum drinks are a gift of rums of Puerto Rico. If you do not want rum and order a Virgin Piña Colada, you are not consuming the complimentary drink, the virgin Piña Colada price is $ 6.50.

Thank you very much for your review.
Rockledge, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel through Expedia. Paid $230. for one night. Thought it was a good idea to spend the night before our cruise. When I booked it seemed to have fair reviews. I looked at the reviews again and saw the horrible reviews. Well, it was pre paid so I couldn't cancel. I called the hotel sharing my concerns. The staff was great. Upon our arrival I was shocked by the condition of the room. Then the parties went on until 3:00 am. Not the best sleep.

• Stayed February 2013
Management T, Manager at The Beach House Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
egotz2fly Thanks for your review. We are sorry for the fact the noise at the bar kept you from up. On the weekends we are local hot spot and the local crowd enjoy themselves until a little late.

This year part of the plans for the hotel are to re-do all windows and doors to keep the noise levels at a lower rate.
Isla Verde, Puerto Rico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is an AWFUL place. If you are coming to this hotel for rest and relaxation, forget about it! They have no respect for guests. The place is a combination hotel/bar which caters to loud crowds until 2:00 in the morning. The techno music blasts and people scream continuously, mainly drunk. Not a classy or fun place at all. The food is pretty bad and the hygiene questionable. A waste of your money and your time. There are better choices nearby, but this is an AWFUL place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Iris R, thanks for your review. We are very sorry your stay with us was not up to your expectations. We are a local nightlife hot spot and are quite popular for private activities as well. Our restaurant meets all the standards of health and quality in the industry.
West Portsmouth, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The view, property, and weather was beautiful!! The hotel was small and quaint. I was initially shocked at the size of our room, but we spent so little time there it was not an issue. It was clean and comfortable. The staff was very aware of the happinings around the property and of our wants. The location enabled us to walk or taxi easily. The beach was the best!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cindy M, Thanks for your review! We are glad you enjoyed yourself during your visit. We are a great value choice in the area. We home you and visit again.
DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I love this place and have stayed here about a half dozen times over the last 10 or so years (alternating with the Borinquen Beach Inn up the street, depending on availability and price). It is a great place for a gringo to play at being a beach bum-- cutoffs, no shoes, Hawaiian flower shirt, and two POTENT coladas for $16 at the bar RIGHT ON THE BEACH! Rum drinks start at $4, folks. How can you not like that?

I've never stayed in any room other than 2 or 6 (yep, the "worst" rooms in the bunch... but I LOVE room 6!) and I have no complaints about noise-- I'm a heavy sleeper. Others may find room 6 to be too close to the bar and action, so choose carefully. If you are under 26, this is the place you want to be.

At 8pm there was no hot water. Inquiry to the front desk was unhelpful; the clerk checked the breakers and reported all was in order (I assume this to mean they use an electric on-demand hot water heating system) so we were at an impasse. I gave up and slunk off to the restaurant. There was hot water at 11pm, so that was nice. Plenty of it in the morning as well.

Dear God, do not eat at the motel restaurant! Nobody should name their restaurant something so close to "La Plague" as this place. It had the strangest menu for a tourist town on the ocean and the shrimp in the risotto seemed to be at least a week old... and it was not a good week for them. Chef, there are other seasonings to use than salt. Look into them.

As you might imagine the bed is rock hard. The room (remember, I am only discussing my experience with 2 and 6) is spartan with no coffee maker, no clock radio, no iPod docking station, no hair dryer, no bottled water (though all were promised in the motel's description) and the "flat panel" TV is an old tube type. I have no idea what channels it offered as there was no remote and no obvious way of receiving anything other than the TV Guide channel. If you're interested in being thirty feet from the ocean and you still want to watch TV... sheesh, there's no hope for you. I also don't know if the WiFi worked. Did I mention you're on the beach and the bar is right there?

Others have described the place pretty well and I doubt I can add much. Staff are pleasant and spoke English, some can communicate a few sentences in other languages (such as French). The room was spotless, the soaps are pleasant, the shower (no bathtubs, but some rooms may have them) invigorating and roomy and the air conditioner (remote controlled!) worked perfectly.

I am concerned that the bathroom light switch and plug is right next to the sink and is not equipped with a ground fault circuit interrupter. Additionally, I am hopeful that if management replies to this posting they will address the hot water issues raised repeatedly here.

My 4-star rating is relative; this is a special place, difficult to compare to others. It is not luxurious, plush, or fancy but is certainly a memorable place to stay. There are so few motels like this, right on the flippin' beach, and they provide tons of chairs, tables, even beds on the sand for guests to use. I dig it, you might too!

Room Tip: Room 6 is the closest to the bar and beach. The obvious advantage is being able to crawl home easily...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MikeyDaNut- Thanks for the review, we are glad you basically cover all the aspects of our operation. Yes we are about being at the beach and hanging out at the bar.

Sorry the food at the restaurant was not up to standard. We will give your feedback to the Chef. As we speak the restaurant menu is being re-designed as we have a new chef and sous chef.
FYI the name of the restaurant is "Café La Plage" not "La Plague"

Been to The Beach House Hotel? Share your experiences!