“Not a great place to stay” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Beach House Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Beach House Hotel to your Saves list
The Beach House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4851 Ave Isla Verde, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Rockledge, Florida
“Not a great place to stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel through Expedia. Paid $230. for one night. Thought it was a good idea to spend the night before our cruise. When I booked it seemed to have fair reviews. I looked at the reviews again and saw the horrible reviews. Well, it was pre paid so I couldn't cancel. I called the hotel sharing my concerns. The staff was great. Upon our arrival I was shocked by the condition of the room. Then the parties went on until 3:00 am. Not the best sleep.

• Stayed February 2013
Management T, Manager at The Beach House Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
egotz2fly Thanks for your review. We are sorry for the fact the noise at the bar kept you from up. On the weekends we are local hot spot and the local crowd enjoy themselves until a little late.

This year part of the plans for the hotel are to re-do all windows and doors to keep the noise levels at a lower rate.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Isla Verde, Puerto Rico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is an AWFUL place. If you are coming to this hotel for rest and relaxation, forget about it! They have no respect for guests. The place is a combination hotel/bar which caters to loud crowds until 2:00 in the morning. The techno music blasts and people scream continuously, mainly drunk. Not a classy or fun place at all. The food is pretty bad and the hygiene questionable. A waste of your money and your time. There are better choices nearby, but this is an AWFUL place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Iris R, thanks for your review. We are very sorry your stay with us was not up to your expectations. We are a local nightlife hot spot and are quite popular for private activities as well. Our restaurant meets all the standards of health and quality in the industry.
West Portsmouth, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The view, property, and weather was beautiful!! The hotel was small and quaint. I was initially shocked at the size of our room, but we spent so little time there it was not an issue. It was clean and comfortable. The staff was very aware of the happinings around the property and of our wants. The location enabled us to walk or taxi easily. The beach was the best!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cindy M, Thanks for your review! We are glad you enjoyed yourself during your visit. We are a great value choice in the area. We home you and visit again.
DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I love this place and have stayed here about a half dozen times over the last 10 or so years (alternating with the Borinquen Beach Inn up the street, depending on availability and price). It is a great place for a gringo to play at being a beach bum-- cutoffs, no shoes, Hawaiian flower shirt, and two POTENT coladas for $16 at the bar RIGHT ON THE BEACH! Rum drinks start at $4, folks. How can you not like that?

I've never stayed in any room other than 2 or 6 (yep, the "worst" rooms in the bunch... but I LOVE room 6!) and I have no complaints about noise-- I'm a heavy sleeper. Others may find room 6 to be too close to the bar and action, so choose carefully. If you are under 26, this is the place you want to be.

At 8pm there was no hot water. Inquiry to the front desk was unhelpful; the clerk checked the breakers and reported all was in order (I assume this to mean they use an electric on-demand hot water heating system) so we were at an impasse. I gave up and slunk off to the restaurant. There was hot water at 11pm, so that was nice. Plenty of it in the morning as well.

Dear God, do not eat at the motel restaurant! Nobody should name their restaurant something so close to "La Plague" as this place. It had the strangest menu for a tourist town on the ocean and the shrimp in the risotto seemed to be at least a week old... and it was not a good week for them. Chef, there are other seasonings to use than salt. Look into them.

As you might imagine the bed is rock hard. The room (remember, I am only discussing my experience with 2 and 6) is spartan with no coffee maker, no clock radio, no iPod docking station, no hair dryer, no bottled water (though all were promised in the motel's description) and the "flat panel" TV is an old tube type. I have no idea what channels it offered as there was no remote and no obvious way of receiving anything other than the TV Guide channel. If you're interested in being thirty feet from the ocean and you still want to watch TV... sheesh, there's no hope for you. I also don't know if the WiFi worked. Did I mention you're on the beach and the bar is right there?

Others have described the place pretty well and I doubt I can add much. Staff are pleasant and spoke English, some can communicate a few sentences in other languages (such as French). The room was spotless, the soaps are pleasant, the shower (no bathtubs, but some rooms may have them) invigorating and roomy and the air conditioner (remote controlled!) worked perfectly.

I am concerned that the bathroom light switch and plug is right next to the sink and is not equipped with a ground fault circuit interrupter. Additionally, I am hopeful that if management replies to this posting they will address the hot water issues raised repeatedly here.

My 4-star rating is relative; this is a special place, difficult to compare to others. It is not luxurious, plush, or fancy but is certainly a memorable place to stay. There are so few motels like this, right on the flippin' beach, and they provide tons of chairs, tables, even beds on the sand for guests to use. I dig it, you might too!

Room Tip: Room 6 is the closest to the bar and beach. The obvious advantage is being able to crawl home easily...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MikeyDaNut- Thanks for the review, we are glad you basically cover all the aspects of our operation. Yes we are about being at the beach and hanging out at the bar.

Sorry the food at the restaurant was not up to standard. We will give your feedback to the Chef. As we speak the restaurant menu is being re-designed as we have a new chef and sous chef.
FYI the name of the restaurant is "Café La Plage" not "La Plague"
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Great Hotel for enjoying the beach in PR.

Good and friendly atmosphere from the team.
The Bar area is excellent and on Sunday's there is a disk jockey with fun music.

Food is amazing and drinks remarkable, you must try

If you fell like doing sports you can try kite surf within the same spot.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Jules S. Thanks for your review, the kite surfing school is 14 knots and have some really great offers. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

ROOFTOP SUITE WAS AMAZING! WE HAD OUR OWN ROOFTOP BALCONY ! thinking of making a trip back with the whole family this summer! restaurant ? beach side bar gets loud & goes late on weekends & you can hear neighboring sunday morning beach church service but all these things fit right into our trip. can get on bus for 50 centys & go all the way to san juan.. food choices all within walking distance

Room Tip: single rooms small, @ suites are rooftop & amazing! find the evening bar manager Kevin for any i...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
mizzlizz217 Thanks for your review. Yes that rooftop suite has a great view a wonderfully large terrace for the enjoyment of the guest who stays there. We are glad you had a great time and look forward to your next visit.
Perrysburg, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My friend and I stayed at this hotel Jan 17-24, and we were both pleased with our stay. We stayed in room #12, which is a 2 bed room on the second floor, closest to the bar. As others have mentioned, the bar does have music (generally latin, electronica, and for some strange reason about an hour of 1980s American pop music a day) playing pretty loudly all day. If we were in our room with the door shut in the evenings, we really didn't notice it all that much. Jennifer, at the front desk, was extremely helpful with arranging our trip to the Bio Bay in Fajardo, checking on and arranging massages on the beach for us, and offering suggestions on things to do during our days. Her English was the best out of everyone we spoke to there, but even if the others weren't proficient with the language, they still tried to be as helpful as possible. Depending on the traffic, the hotel is about a 15-20 minute taxi ride to Old San Juan, and about 5-10 minute ride from the airport.

Cafe la Plage was decent, although not great. The prices, while in line with the rest of San Juan, were expensive! $8-12 for alcoholic drinks in plastic cups it a bit ridiculous to me, but as I said, that seemed pretty standard at most of the restaurants I was in while there. The food was alright, the breakfast is not a full one, but a continental breakfasts - coffee, teas, milk & juices, cereals, yogurts, bagels & cream cheese, bread (toaster available), English muffins, ham & cheese. Compared to the $29/person for full breakfast some in our group who were staying at the Hilton Caribe paid? I'd say we got the better deal!

The only complaint I really had with the hotel, and this certainly wasn't a deal breaker for us, was that I wished they had a dresser or a larger shelf in the room. In our room, they had a closet, and a fold-up luggage shelf, and a 8in x 20in shelf in the main room to put stuff on. We were fine with living our of our suitcases, but it would have been nice to be able to put our clothes somewhere, and/or a larger place to put stuff down on. The bathroom in our room looked a little worse for wear, in fact I think the pictures of the shower shown on here are from the shower in our room. I've been to other hotels in tropical environments, and quite frankly, this didn't even phase me. It really wasn't as bad as the pictures make it out to be.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Management T, Manager at The Beach House Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
meimur, Thank you very much for your review.

Jennifer at the front desk is always ready and willing to help, we are happy our staff do their best to help our guests be happy and at ease. We are very happy she was able to help with all your requests and was able to guide you in the enjoyment of our Island while staying at The Beach House Hotel.

Yes, our drink prices are in line with prices of most of the hotel in the area. the reason for the plastic cups is a city ordinance that prohibits the use of glass in the sand. Since we are right on the beach it applies to us.

Since last week started offering an a la carte breakfast menu in the restaurant that though NOT included in the price of the room, may be an option for the guests who may prefer it over the continental breakfast.

Our rooms as you must have noted are not large, so in order to offer more maximize the space we do not have shelves in the room.

Thanks you again for your review and we look forward to having you stay with us on your next visit.

Been to The Beach House Hotel? Share your experiences!