“surprise stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Verdanza Hotel

You added Verdanza Hotel to your Saves list
Verdanza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8020 Tartak Street, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
NYC
“surprise stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I was bumped from my flight, and this was the hotel that the airline put me up in. The hotel staff was extremely friendly. While my room was being prepared they offered me a refreshing sorbet! I wish I could remember the name of one particular person who was outstanding! I was offered a poolside room which was a great location. The room was a nice size and had a refrigerator and a decent flat screen TV. Nice closet space and large vanity area. My room had a small toilet area and shower, but it was sufficient. This area did look a little shabby, but I believe since it was poolside, it is the nature of the beast. The pool is nice and there is a great sprinkle park for the kids. Free WiFi is great! Nice restaurants and cafe right in the lobby. There IS a short walk to the beach. A full block away, but not terrible.

Room Tip: I think this is a nice option for those who cannot get a beachfront hotel. Very quiet location.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Wellington, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This hotel is a very good deal. Customer service is outstanding, the lobby is comfortable and very nice looking. The restaurants are wonderful, it has a full service bistro, a bar, Chinese and Sushi, a great Tapas and wine bar and there is a small coffee shop in the lobby that serves snacks. What makes this coffee bar so wonderful is the homegrown coffee beans. If you like coffee you must ask one of the baristas to prepare you a cafe con leche, they will even draw a heart or your symbol of choice with the milk foam. You can also stop by the front desk every day and ask for a limber or Puerto Rican frozen ice, my favorite was the coconut. The location is excellent, one block away from the beach, a two minute walk; you can request a beach towel to take with you.The pool is very nice, the landscape beautiful, nice orchids hanging from the trees. The casino is close bye, additional restaurants, fast food, Walgreens...all within walking distance. Downside? The rooms are a little on the older side, they could use a little TLC. However, the rooms are impeccably clean, relatively comfortable, with a nice size private balcony. The hotel offers a business center and conference rooms and free internet access. You have a safe and refrigerator, and they leave free bottled water in the room, room service is available until 11pm, be aware, the restaurants close during the day, check the schedules. Rooms have a nice size closet, a little dressing area, and the sink is separate from the WC. Everyone speaks English and as I stated, are extremely friendly and helpful. If you are renting a vehicle, the hotel as a secure parking facility the fee per night is $10.00. I've stayed in the five star resorts on the island, and frankly, if you are looking for a nice, reasonably priced hotel, you will be pleased with the Verdanza.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Edwardsville, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

If you book this room through priceline beaware they will change you 10% more than you paid. We asked the front desk what the charges were for and no one could answer. Just that they charge all priceline customers and one other group. We talked to two different front desk workers and no one could answer our questions. We contacted priceline and were told they couldn't charge us. I later got an email saying that priceline had talked to a front desk employee at the hotel and were told that they would refund us this charge. That it was charged to ALL customers and was a refundable charge. At check out we were told we would be charged even though we were told we wouldn't. I asked to talk to a manager who then told us that the charge was for the complementary internet. So it is complementary to all guests besides priceline customers . The manager didn't care that we were lied to multiple times from different staff members. It is a shame to treat customers differently! The hotel is the one that accept our bid. They should honor that price or don't accept it. We paid close to all other customers, by the time they added in taxes, and fees and this bogus charge.

On to the room.
1. We slept with lights on the last night to keep the cockroaches that I found out of the sleeping quarters. When I told an employee about the cockroaches I was told that it was a problem in the whole hotel. I had to unpack ALL of my luggage to make sure I didn't bring any home. If they were found in one room they are in the whole hotel. So no reason to ask for a new room.
2. The door to the balcony slammed shut so hard and fast I was afraid my young son would get his fingers smashed. Be careful!
3. Another room in our party had toliet issues. When they first got there it overflowed, and later that night it wouldn't flush.
4. Bathrooms are tiny, but do have a large dressing area.
5. Most staff were nice , besides some front desk workers and manager. We were lied to multiple times.
6. Location is convient to fast food and bus.
7. Spray park didn't work half the time. Broken glass in the hot tub.
8. Some rooms got free breakfast, some people got a free drink at checkin but not all. Why isn't everyone treated the same?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
LorenaJOrtiz, Public Relations Manager at Verdanza Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Ellee G, I was shocked to read your review as it is inexplicable that you should have received different information from different staff members regarding the hotel fee. The reality is that the 10% hotel fee is not covered by Priceline - which is clearly specified in our listing: "This hotel has a resort fee. This fee will be charged to you directly by the hotel." This is specified again under Important Information for you to review before confirming your booking. Nevertheless, you should have been able to receive a direct, informed answer the very first time from our staff - this situation has been shared with our executive team for immediate attention. I trust you will accept my apology.

Ellee G, I am genuinely sorry that your experience was marred by inconveniences. I am surprised that anyone would tell you that pests are a problem in the hotel... should there be an incident, our Housekeeping and Maintenance departments are alerted immediately, as we do not take health and hygiene lightly. Likewise, should anything not be working properly, as soon as we are alerted we make it a point to handle it immediately, to ensure that the guest is satisfied and comfortable at Verdanza.

Further, you must realize that different rate packages will include different amenities or added values, such as complimentary drinks, breakfast, etc., depending on the package. Rest assured that our guests are equally valued.

Best,
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is one of the best restaurants in the area. Chef Damian Hernandez and his staff go above and beyond on providing excellent service and professionalism. Food here is outstanding! We went back to the hotel for our 7th wedding anniversary and the chef personally greeted us with the same menu we had at our wedding, eventhough it's isn't part of his normal menu. I highly recommend this place for gatherings and/or business activities. Very personalized treatment. Give this place a try, and I assure you that you'll be back. Excelente trabajo!

Room Tip: Newer side of the hotel with view to the North side
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Look elsewhere for somewhere to stay - it might look like value but you will walk away a lot poorer after having your hotel room ransacked!

I stayed at this hotel in December with my partner. After leaving the hotel for the afternoon to explore San Juan we came back to find somebody had entered our hotel room and gone through all our bags taking our ipad, all our cash, our camera and my handbag.

We reported this to hotel security straight away, who gave us absolutely no sympathy but instead told us we should have used the safe. We then called the police which upset the security manager greatly, although the police were very thankful that we called because they suggested that it was most likely an internal scam because the door had not been forced rather an electronic key had been used to gain access.

We spent the evening unable to leave our room knowing that somebody had access to our room but were told by staff that the rest of the hotel was entirely booked out. We also had to endure security staff running a half hour test on our hotel room door at both 2am and 4am without any notice or apology.

We were not offered any information to ease our minds, just that the insurance company would be in touch (they were unable to give us a time frame). They would not give us the name or contact details of their insurance company. They have also refused to give us the police report number which they promised they would email through to us the day after the robbery. We have been waiting patiently for over a month as we are aware that sometimes these things happen, however after having called the hotel every day from Australia for the last two weeks with unfulfilled promises to return calls and contact the police and insurance company on our behalf where clearly nobody at the Verdanza Hotel has any interest in helping us recover the things that were taken from us. Take your valuables and stay anywhere else in San Juan for peace of mind and hopefully friendlier management!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

As everyone else mentioned rooms need some serious upgrade. I could have given 3 starts, but my 4 starts are just for the staff and how hard they worked to make our stay comfortable. Great location, neatly maintained facility and helpful staff. Take a walk towards tehe beach, on Puetro Rico 37 (as per google maps) there so many restaurants, fast-food chains, CVS, SubWay, great breakfast places. If you are renting a car I strongly recommend you to activate e-zpass (auto expresso).

Room Tip: We stayed in the room with swimming pool view, there are no elevators in this building so be prepare...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is an older hotel that has been updated. The problem is they updated it on the cheap. The workmanship is subpar. It is an okay hotel. Just not anything special. It is located close to the airport. Conveniently located close to a variety of restaurants and the beach. The rooms and lobby were clean. The cafe in the lobby is nice but pricey. Ten dollars for 2 coffees and 2 danish. The staff is pleasant and they try hard.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Verdanza Hotel? Share your experiences!