“Would not recommend” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Verdanza Hotel

You added Verdanza Hotel to your Saves list
Verdanza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8020 Tartak Street, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Hampton, Virginia, USA
“Would not recommend”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

Walking into the hotel I was very amazed, the lobby area was nice as well as the staff. I was happy we chose to stay at this hotel, until we got off the elevator to go to our room. The hallway smelled like mildew. The room appeared to be decent at first sight until I looked into the bathroom. The bathroom was gross not mentioning extremely small also the vent in the bathroom was very dirty and the wall had water dripping down, and the shower had black stains. The carpet next to the bathroom was damp. The beds were just ok. The tv was old and keep fading out. There was no wifi internet, so i called the front desk and they said I would need a e-cord but they didn't have anymore. The next day we had to change rooms because the toilet started leaking. At first they tried to give us a hard time but then they finally changed our rooms and gave us free breakfast for the rest of our tenure. But for this price I would stay at a different hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
LorenaJOrtiz, Public Relations Manager at Verdanza Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2011
Morgan0816, we are genuinely sorry that your recent stay did meet your expectations. Indeed, we are currently undergoing a refurbishment of guestrooms in phases. Refurbished rooms feature new flatscreen tv's and ipod docking station among other enhancements. We hope to have an opportunity to impress you favorably next time your travels bring you to San Juan.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Covington, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

We were comp'd the room due to a nearby hotel where we had reservations having an issue where they could not provide us with our accommodations. Yuck. We were on the courtyard by the pool and everyone who went by could be heard. The room is exceeding small. The shower is practically on top of the toilet and no wonder that the door frame of the bathroom rotted out. This was the first room in a while where I felt compelled to actually search for bedbugs before unpacking long enough for my one night stay. Fortunately I found NONE but the room was none the less kind of creepy.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Ocean City, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

Good location. A lovely property within walking distance to the beach.
Responsive employees and good clean rooms.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

The El San Juan Hotel & Casino was booked and I decided to take a chance with the Verdanza Hotel.
I was pleasantly surpised.
I stayed at the Verdanza January 20-22, 2011.
I tried to extend my stay but the hotel was completely booked up.
The guy who checked me in was very nice. I didn't note his name.
The Verdanza is centrally located in Isla Verde. Across the street from the
Intercontinental Hotel.
The Verdanza is very modern. Nice lobby. Nice room.
There is a chinese restaurant on site. (I imagine for those that get tired of the PR cuisine.)
There is a small nice bar in the lobby.
A wine bar was being built ... looked promising . (Not sure when they are opening).
I was given a great room that opened out to the pool.
The pool is very nice.
The bed was very comfortable.
On-site discounted parking for guests. I believe that it was $10.00 per day with in and out privileges. (a lot less than the parking at the El San Juan Hotel).
A lot more quiet in the evening than the El San Juan Hotel and Casino.
I was presently surprised and will be back.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Dear XCR1961, many thanks for taking the time to share your experience at Verdanza Hotel. We take pride in our property and our team and have a year-round program of improvements to continue going from strength to strength. We look forward to welcoming you back next time your travels bring you to San Juan.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

I had been doing a lot of research for my and my fiance's first trip to Puerto Rico. After considering locations, prices, reviews, and amenities, I decided to give the Verdanza a try. Being in the hospitality industry, I know that hotels that aren't attached to a big brand often try a little harder to earn your business. The Verdanza is an example of this, and I'm glad that I took a chance on them!

The hotel is located a few blocks from the beach, close to some great restaurants (definitely visit Mi Casita!) and the staff were friendly and quite helpful. The price was very reasonable, and the grounds were well kept. At check in, we received complimentary frozen treats which were a nice touch. The front desk was quick and efficient even when the lobby was pretty busy. The concierge desk gave very good info on tours and directions. My room was upgraded to one in the tower on the 8th floor executive level instead of the building near the pool which is where it sounded like I was originally placed when I called back to reconfirm our reservations. This was great because I was a little worried about noise from the pool area in my room, and the pool building seemed to be where some people stayed and noted mildew smells. The executive level had a gym and business center with internet right down the hall, and exclusive access to a continental breakfast each morning we were there. We also rented a car for a few days to allow ourselves scheduling freedom and again, the desk couldn't have been more helpful.

The only three issues I had were:

* the hotel's restaurant. While the food was good, the service was a little slow. I think there were staffing shortages the day I ordered lunch. I had calamari and a mojito and it took 25 minutes, and I had to check on it more than once

* my exec room: although well appointed, it was pretty small. The balcony I had did not have room to sit; the pool building seemed to have bigger balconies with chairs, but I can't speak to the size of the rooms there.

* my room was not ready at check in, but to be fair we did get there at 9 am when the hotel was sold out the previous day. The desk did take my cell phone number and call me when the room was ready, and it was...exactly at the time they said it would be.

I unfortunately missed the manager's reception, which was also a nice touch. I would've liked to meet the manager to tell him directly what a great hotel and wonderful team he has. Thanks in part to the Verdanza, my fiance and I had a fantastic and memorable vacation in Puerto Rico.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Bookend2505, we are pleased to learn of your experience at Verdanza Hotel and appreciate your comments on the things you enjoyed as well as those on areas where we could improve further. We look forward to welcoming you back to Verdanza Hotel.
West Haven, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

I stayed here in 2008 when it was the Holiday Inn. I was very surprised then how clean the hotel was and how helpful the staff was that when I booked my cruise for Feb. 2011 my husband and I decided we should try the Verdanza because we were familiar with the area and the price was right. (We have stayed at the Intercontinental before as well and did'nt want to spend $400+ for one night before a cruise) We booked a room for one night before our cruise and for 2 nights the next week after our cruise. There was a fire alarm at 5:45 a.m. And the room phone and safe were not working. I informed the front desk about the phone not working and the safe. I also asked if I could have that same room when I returned the next week. It had a balcony and a view of the pool. We returned the next week and while checking in the front desk person said to my husband "someone should be up soon to look at the phone". No-one ever showed to fix anything. And while we were there for our 2 night stay the fire alarm went off 3 more times. All false alarms. I did not say anything about the phone or safe again because they made it pretty clear they just didnt care. They had a whole week to fix it and chose to do nothing about it. Also the David's coffee shop located in the lobby has the worst customer service I stood there for 5 min and the person behind that counter was on their cell phone and did not acknowledge me or the other women behind me. We both walked away. This happened all 3 days I was there. There is a Starbucks in the El San Juan hotel but I just wanted a quick cup before I got on with my day. The best part about that is I walked over to Mi Casita (over by church's chicken and burger king) they have good coffee and a good inexpensive breakfast. I will be staying at the Intercontinental from now on when I come to Puerto Rico.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear skr23, we are sorry to learn of the shortcomings that marred an otherwise pleasant experience at Verdanza Hotel. We did confront a situation with the alarm system which was corrected within 24 hours; we apologize for the inconvenience this caused. Rest assured they do not fall on deaf ears as we hope to have an opportunity to impress you favorably in the near future.
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

it was my worse stay EVER...the tv didnt work, fire alarm went off every night, and the charge my card twice the amount and the hotel manager said it was my PROBLEM

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Verdanza Hotel? Share your experiences!