“yuppies stay away” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Coqui Inn

You added Coqui Inn to your Saves list
Coqui Inn
1.5 of 5 Lodge   |   36 Calle Mar del Norte, Villamar, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
south bend
“yuppies stay away”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at coqui inn and if you don't mind staying in a small PUERTO RICAN hotel with out 5 star ratings this place is perfect. Pool party Fridays were a little much but its a island that loves to party. So if your looking for a 5 star the Intercontinental hotel is blocks away.

Room Tip: Room 223 by the pool is excellent
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
la
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I travel a lot and am in San Juan all the time. Don't stay here. A park bench downtown would be preferable. They charge for everything. It's dirty, crime ridden and downright scary. Don't stay here!!! When booked I thought old world charm. I got just old and dirty.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We were booked to stay for 4 nites but as soon as we got in the room, we knew we did NOT want to stay. We entered the room by stepping down two steps so it felt have a basement. The bathroom was dirty with tile falling off the wall, the bed was rock hard, the air conditioner was the old in-the-wall type and very loud. Perhaps the worst was we could not lock the room from the inside! We ended up having to stay one night and had only those small, skinny chains to be safe!

Beyond all this, the woman at the front desk was the most rude and arrogant person I have ever met in my travels! We knew we would be charged for two nights even though we only stayed one because we were not staying the full time we booked. However, this woman decided half way through our discussion to change it to three nights or a penalty of paying for 2 extra nights. When I pointed to the paper (she called it a contract) I signed when we arrived, I reminded her there should only be 1 night penalty. I asked for a copy of the "contract" I signed, she said "No, this is the property of the Inn" - which is illegal for a real contract. So I asked for at least the blank form so I would know what it said and she gave the same response. Better check with your lawyer, lady.

We couldn't have left that place soon enough. Buyer, Beware! Don't believe the pictures. If there was a zero rating, I would have marked that one.

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Lakeland, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Beds were ok but there was no water pressure and bathroom had old soap stains probably because the cleaning crew can't clean correctly with no water pressure. When the bare essentials can't be met you should not run a place like this. Less important was the missing remote control for the TV which they did not have a spare for but I booked this place for sleeping and showering but was only able to do 1 out of 2 with the extremely low water pressure. Would not book again!!!.

Room Tip: Booking a stall at the airport bathroom is better.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

This place is the arm pit of the Caribbean! Most disgusting hotel we have ever experienced. Unsecured grounds....unless you count barb-wire as a security feature. Rooms are extremely old, paint is falling off the ceiling, disgusting bathrooms...OMG! The owners should be ashamed of themselves! If you like loud motorcycle drag racing outside your room around midnight, losing power in the night, renting the only hairdryer available to all guests - with a proper ID, hookers being let in the back gate, watching 12-year old kids drinking & smoking pool-side, staying in what appears to be a glorified gym locker including the stink from both property & staff, and lastly, kids running around slamming those same locker room type doors until 4AM - this is the place for you!! Staffers could care less if you stayed or not. They were very put out when we asked them to check us into our hotel. Apparently sitting on their behinds smoking at the entrance to the hotel was more important. By the way, the entrance to this lovely pile of crap is down the block & around the corner. Do yourselves a favor & stay at the hotels on the beach! We checked them out & guess what folks...those hotels are only $20.00 more per night. This place needs new owners, responsible management, a maintenance crew, housekeeping crew, and a health inspector...! Ok, ok, maybe all they need is a wrecking ball with a purpose! How can this place even be allowed to invite guests-it should be condemned. Please keep reading the reviews of this dump & do not stay here. We made that mistake for you by staying here before leaving on our cruise this week. Yup we just got back & this place was not a good start to our vacation. Thank goodness for the perks like fresh water, clean sheets & electricity the cruise ship was able to provide!

Room Tip: Most helpful tip I can seriously offer other travelers is to go someplace else!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Coqui was a little difficult to get in and out of with it's position near the highway. My husband and I stayed here for two nights. One of the beds in our room obviously had a broken box spring and the other bed did not appear to have clean sheets on it from the previous guest. The room had a refrigerator, however it seemed to be broken. The air-conditioner worked well and our room only shared one wall with another guest room which was not occupied, so we had a quiet experience. Overall, I would not say this is a good value, however, I would not say that San Juan in general is a good value. I find the prices in this part of Puerto Rico to be outlandish and absurd. Coqui ended up being easier to get to than our next place, but I think the lack of signs and disorganized nature of the driving in general contributed the most to that. I won't be staying at Coqui again, but I won't be staying in the San Juan area again either. There are other, more rural parts of the island that have beautiful beaches and amazing values for hotel stays.

Room Tip: Stay outside San Juan. If you must stay in or near San Juan, plan to spend loads of cash to just hav...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I came here by accident , and the guy at the front desk said I can only see one room , and also wanted me to paid first for the single room without even seen it., and after 2 hours of waisting my time to see another room he gaved me the same room he showed me first with the excuse that he could not leave the reception. Then I noticed the bed sheets were dirty and the matress was dirty with blood stains , them it was no mattress cover and no one to get me the bed sheets until 7 or 8 am. The only guy working in the place said he had not keys or accesss to the closet were they keep the bed sheets and I had to wait until 7AM. Them the next morning I ask for the mattress cover but the maids told me they will bring the bed sheets but they NEVER DID!! AND I WAIT 4 HOURS IN MY ROOM!!! I left around 1PM .,These people are the most disrepectful and irresponsible I have ever seen. when I come in the night the guy working at the desk said to me , that he doesn't have the keys, to open a room again, where they keep the bed sheets, this is crazy and outrageous this "hotel"or guesthouse don't have anyone to open the room to get what you need, or someone in charged, is very irresponsible, I never seen a place like this in my life!!,and I am a world traveler! , every guesthouse or hotel I have always stay in the world they have house keeping at any time for emergency, but this is absolutely disgusting, no bed sheets because the maids are not clean and irresponsible, and if you want a clean place Do NOT COME HERE, PLUS IS OVERPRICE and dirty. Very disappointed. Very dissatisfied. They should have keys and a housekeeper 24 hours in case someone needs something .I gave the complaint to the manager and he treated me like garbage., and thereathed me. All the staff was disrepectful to me and threath me as well after I was overcharged. . Also the ceiling had a leak right above the bed near the pillow. As many others travelers said in all their reviews about dirty and bed bugs were 100% are accurate. I was terrorized and not able to sleep at all , and they never bring me the bed sheets until I check out , that they put them in a plastic bag hanging from the door. See photohographs....Do not come here, is not worthy!!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Room Tip: Here is not good rooms , all the rooms are noisy and NOT QUALITY SLEEP AT ALL AND NOT HYGIENE.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Been to Coqui Inn? Share your experiences!