“Bed bug alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort

You added Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   7012 Boca de Cangrejos Ave, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Special Offer
My Puerto Rico Experience
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
new york
“Bed bug alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2006

I visited this hotel10/07/06. I was excited being that it had a pool, beach, casino, lounge. but at the end of my stay I knew it was tooooo good to be true!!!! I had bed bug bites all over my body!!!!!!! When I brought it to the assistant manager's attention he told me they were fruit flies from the avocados I had!!!!!! So once I arrived to New York, I went straight to the doctor because the itching just wouldnt stop!!!! It happened to be that I was bed bug bitten!!!!!!! I am so saddened that Marriott would not stay on top of their rooms to make sure guest wouldnt have to go experience such an ordeal!!!!!! Bed Bugs Alert !!!!!!!Room 411 people beware!!!!!!!!

• Liked — the price
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — check the beds!!!!!!!!!11
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
arodriguez, Assistant General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 3, 2006
Dear TripAdvisor Member,

I was rather surprised, to see that you posted this comment. As you know, I personally responded when you complained that there were bugs in your room. Although it was obvious that the bugs were a result of the large quantity of fruits and vegetables that you had in your room which you told me were gathered by you during a visit to family members out on the island, we nonetheless immediately contacted an epidemiologist from our pest control company, to inspect your room and to fumigate your room and adjacent areas to make sure that the insects that you brought in with your fruit were eliminated. You should be aware also that they rendered a written report to us indicating that the “bedbugs” you claim to have found were nothing more than insects that in all likelihood were introduced with the sacks of native fruit you brought to your room. We would be more than pleased to share this report with your doctor.

It would appear to us that your vindictive TripAdvisor posting (Bed bug alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) is as a result of your unsuccessful attempt to accede your demands that we give you a free 4 days vacation at our resort, even though we had previously granted you a 54% discount due to your employment at a Courtyard by Marriott, and that you were not satisfied that we only offered you and your family complimentary cocktails and the adjustment to all long distance phone calls(which you DID accept!).

As a Marriott employee, you know more than anyone the high quality of product and service that we are committed to deliver to our guests and to the seriousness in which we take our guests observations.

Yodil M. Caban
Assistant General Manager
Courtyard by Marriott - Isla Verde Beach Resort
ycaban@sjcourtyard.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2006

My mom and I booked our trip to PR in March. We were going to celebrate her 50th birthday.Thank goodness for this site, because we were suppose to stay at the Condado Plaza. I kept checking this site and found out that the hotel was going through major renovations and just weeks before our trip we decided to stay in Isla Verde. Upon arrival, the room was not quite what we expected. The next morning after a phone call to the front desk, my mother and I were put in a room that was more like the one we saw online. The staff at this hotel was top notch! I have read so many review where visitors were put off by the lack of customer service at so many hotels. NOT THIS ONE! We booked 2 day trips at the hotel through GSI. Both our tour guides, Robert and Antonio were very well versed in the history of our sites. The night life at the hotel was great. The turn out is somewhat light during the week, as expected, but come the weekend and it comes alive! The food at the hotel was a little pricey but since this wasn't something I did everyday, it didn't mind spending the $22 for buffet. The food on the dinner buffet was great! There's a Denny's just a few blocks down the street and for mom's birthday, we hit the Metopol for authentic food. The prices here are very reasonable and the food was delicious! I had the Fiesta Cubano and it was enough for 2! The hotel is right there at the beach with hammocks between the palms. Another plus for the staff, when we got our new room, the cd player didn't work and the smoke detector was gone. When we called for maintance to come, the gentleman stood far back from the door so as to be seen from the peephole and once he came into our room, he braced the door open with the security latch and in 15 mins we had a new smoke detector and radio! The staff here aimed to please and our expectation and needs were met. It is because of service like this that my body has been stateside for 2 weeks, but my mind is still adrift in PR!

• Liked — The Live Music
LA and buffalo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2006

room came with 2 coupons for alcoholic drinks, had wonderful dual pools (very large!!) with swim up bar and pool-type food, right on the beach with hammocks, nice restauraunt (and seperate ice cream parlor) with live music right next to the casino......marriott gave us 25$ in match play so we could double our earnings at the casino....in room fridge, tv has DVD AND VCR PLAYER! (not many tv channels)...very nice staff, 24 hour fitness center (stairmaster, treadmill, bike, weights). we had a car, so that helped us see more of the san juan area. the hotel is very nice, much nicer than any courtyard ive stayed at, and i would stay at this one again. you wont be disappointed! PS-- free wireless in room!

• Liked — right nearby airport
  • Disliked — airplanes taking off noise (but u cant hear it in your room)
  • Tips/Secrets — waves were less rough if u walked down the beach toward other hotels, but courtyard was the best value to stay at
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2006

My two young children and I were accompanying my husband on a business trip.We opted for this hotel because there was no availability at the San Juan Marriott and I wanted a hotel on the beach.This has a really great beach front with surprisingly good hammocks.
We booked a corner suite and the connecting king room.Both had balconies and faced the ocean.
The suite was very large and had a decent sized kitchen with a full sized fridge/freezer.Apart from some cups and glasses from the bathroom,there are no utensils,plates or cutlery of any kind.
We had a rental car and ended up buying plastic plates etc.bottled water and some cereal from a local Walgreens.
The rooms were clean and the bathrooms adequate.This is not a luxury hotel by any means,but having a large(clean) space for the four of us to spend a week in was paramount.Not to mention the spectacular view from our balconies.
The air conditioning worked well,although in the evenings my husband and I would switch ours off and open the sliding doors and sleep with the sound of the ocean.Because of the humidity everything gets very damp.Not too big a deal though.
We found the staff to be helpful and polite,especially Tijuana at the front desk.If you have any problems at all with booking your rooms,ask for Tijuana,she's a miracle worker!
Unfortunately,the one place where this hotel really needs improvement is in it's restaurants.The food is not acceptable and overpriced.
We drove in to Old San Juan almost every evening and had some fabulous(be prepared however,pretty costly)meals.
AquaViva is an absolute must for seafood lovers.It is located on one of the side streets off of the Plaza de Colon in Old San Juan.
Nearby is the Parrot Club(same owners as AquaViva)another great place.
All in all we found the Courtyard Isla Verde to be great value for the money.The staff were very accomodating and the Assistant Manager arranged day passes at the Ritz Carlton(2 hotels up the beach)for us when the Coutyard decided to drain and clean their pool.Have to say the Ritz Carlton Pool really is fabulous if one gets a chance to visit.
It was fairly quiet when we were there,I could see that perhaps it wouldn't be quite as good during peak season.Only worth staying here if you can get a room with a view of the ocean,helps to make up for some of the things that aren't quite up to par.
Definitely not a business hotel nor a hotel for young people out for a good time in PR.
Just so that I won't be the only reviewer that doesn't mention the planes......outside they are pretty loud,but somehow that wasn't really a problem for us.The glass sliding doors in the rooms shut out the noise pretty successfully.
Once again,because we weren't in PR during peak season,maybe there were less planes flying in and out.Certainly pretty handy getting to and from the airport.

• Liked — The rooms were clean and a good size.Ocean view spectacular.
  • Disliked — The bathrooms could use some updating and the beds and linens weren't the best.
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure to get an ocean view room.
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2006

We loved the rooms at the marriott!
They were large and attractive.
I am not sure why, but you will notice the carpeting and bedspreads are damp, but it wasn't a problem for us.
All the staff was extremely friendly (with the exception of the gift shop). And although I was worried about being so close to the airport, the noise wasn't really bad. I am a light sleeper, so I did use earplugs at night just in case, and it was fine.
I am not a gambler, but the casino seemed ample, and got quite a crowd in the evening. The nightclub have live music and dancing every evening, and we enjoyed sitting with a drink after a busy day of seeing the island.
We were mostly out on the go, but did enjoy the beach and swim up pool bar our last morning. If you are going to be out sightseeing, I would recommend staying an extra day just to relax here at the hotel.
The only down side I see to this hotel is that you must walk quite a distance or take a cab to go to any restaurant or hotel other than the ones on site, and the restaurants have somewhat limited selection for a very high price. We did walk to the Metropol, it was good cuban food for a reasonable price (about 10 min walk).
Other than that, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — nice beach/pool area--large rooms
  • Disliked — distance to restaurants
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2006

My friend and I were looking forward to our first trip to Puerto Rico, after researching several hotels we decided on the Courtyard Marriott which had a decent price and "walking distance". We stayed at the Courtyard from Agust 28-Sept. 1. The noise from the airport did not bother us and we slept soundly.

Where do I start..... Check- in went really smoothly and we had a nice room with a view of the ocean. The room is clean and spacious, the bathroom is large yet the bathtub was moldy, had soap scum and mold starting to form on the ceiling. Our housekeeping did a wonderful job making sure we had clean towels and came to clean up the room daily. Most of the staff is nice and always had a smile. One problem I encountered was at the Banana Cafe in the lobby, the young lady was counting her cash register and we were standing in front of her waiting to be served, I did not want to disturb her since she was in the middle of counting and figured she will acknowledge us once she finishes the set of change she was counting...well she went to the next set without bothering with us. I asked her is she is going to serve us and she said "just a minute" meanwhile the other person working with her, passed us several times didn't bother either....Breakfast was too expensive at the hotel so we ate at Denny's most of the time

There was a wonderful friendly hardworking young man named Marcelino who set up a chairs ($6)and umbrella ($9) and can get quite expensive, which mean 21 dollars a day. The pool was nice although we never used it since the beach is right there and beautiful to see, it is not white sand, a lot of seaweed and very sandy, I would rate it a C. and THERE ARE SAND FLEAS!!!! At first I thought I was getting bitten by mosquitoes (I am allergic, swells almost like a welt and turns red blue), which did not happen, then I thought they were bed bugs, that was not the case either, and recalling some of the reviews regarding Sand Fleas, I figured that must be it...I am not a doctor yet it is a good speculation.

Since my friend and I do not drive, taxi fare was turning out to be expensive, 20 dollars (one way) to go to Plaza Las Americas which is a 10 minute cab ride. We tried to save by taking the bus to Old San Juan which was 75 cents and get a chance to see the inner barrios. The hotel is far from the nearby restaurants, and NOT walking distance as many claimed. I'm from NY and I am not afraid to walk long distances in a fast pace, yet restaurants are not close. We ate at the Oyster bar which was not that great and that the Mexican restaurant on the rooftop at the El San Juan Hotel which was reasonably price and the food was good. Some cab drivers charge you different rates as well. The cab going to El San Juan hotel charged us $5 on our way back another cab driver charged us $8....the cab ride being 3 minutes away! The cabs we used are designated for Tourists to avoid being scammed....well I can't help but wonder if this really works!

The entertainment at the hotel needs improvement and for two young women on vacation, much is left to be desired. The bar Picante was very stingy with their alcohol and PR being the main distributor of Rum, they seemed very cheap and their drinks ranging from $7-10, was watered down...We were also wondering were everyone was there was no more than a handful of people in the bar it started getting better by Thursday...we assumed they were saving the rum for the weekend.

Located in a quiet location, the hotel is better for business travellers and families or for those that have a car rental. Otherwise it gets expensive and the nightlife is not that great.
I will not return to this hotel for vacation, it is far from most attractions and restaurants. We were looking forward to a Caribean island and found ourselves in a replica of Miami with a Burger King at every street corner. The locals are really warm and friendly and always there to help and give you information; we enjoyed talking to many of them.

• Liked — Clean rooms
  • Disliked — bathroom and location
  • Tips/Secrets — stay closer to old San Juan especially if you do not have a car
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2006

I stayed at the Courtyard Isla Verde for a week in July 2006. The hotel is located in Isla Verde near the airport and several luxury hotel properties. It is about fifteen minutes from Condado and twenty minutes from Old San Juan. The hotel is family friendly with a very nice swimmng pool in addition to the great beach. There are several restaurants, a small casino, first rate live salsa music every night, and a concierge to help plan day trips. The rooms are well kept, but average. The entire staff is friendly and helpful. For San Juan (I've been several times), this is a good value.

• Liked — Good service
  • Disliked — Out of the way
  • Tips/Secrets — view their web site
Hampton Inn & Suites San Juan
El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel
Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino
Doubletree by Hilton San Juan

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!