“Enjoyed our stay!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   7012 Boca de Cangrejos Ave, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #5 of 14 hotels in Isla Verde
New Jersey
“Enjoyed our stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2005

Just got back from 4 nights at the Marriott and I have no complaints. The rooms were nice and clean and we had ample space for three people. The pool was great and kept clean all day. I can't really think of anything bad to say, everyone that worked there was very friendly and accomodating. I thought the hotel was a good value and would definitely go back. Don't be turned off by negative reviews for this hotel-some people are just very hard to please.

• Stayed January 2005

1,350 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2005

Spent last 6 nights at the Courtyard Marriot in Isle Verde.

I'd give this hotel an 8 and mostly because of the pool and lobby area. I will say the pool is very very nice. Large, lot's of chairs, clean refreshing water. If you don't require lots of assistance this place is great.

I felt that the staff was a little slow. Mostly when it came to food service.Sometimes they didn't even acknowledge your standing there waiting. Since I didn't really care much about that I was fine with it. My son loved the pool with the little slide. Also loved the beach.

The lobby was so nice. Big and clean. There was a nice band playing at night with a nice bar area with small tables. It did not feel crowded at all and the hotel was at capacity when I was there due to Feb vacation.

I didn't think I was going to be happy with the beach because my view of it which was ocean front was an area of the beach that was quite murky with black ocean matter at the shore. However, the beach area that is directly in front of the pool and used by hotel guests was clean and not murky at all. I suppose my view was of an area that was inbetween hotels. The water was a little rough but not so much so that my son couldn't place at the shore and get in a little bit. The sun certainly helps the beach. When it is out the water is a pretty green color. It doesn't look as pretty when the clouds are out which they were for two days.

The salsa restaurant that had the buffet for breakfast and dinner was nice. I like the selections of food for dinner. It was all fresh and very good. Children under 12 ate free with a paying adult which was great.They also had a ala carte menu that was fine for dinner. Nothing elaborate but okay. Breakfast was just ordinary but fine. Even an omelette area. It was free with my room so definetly make sure that is included in the price.

We did get take out from this restaurant to bring up to the room one night and the chicken was raw. GROSS That was not so nice. They were not very apologetic about it so that kind of turned me off.

The rooms are just okay. I would say over all that was the biggest downfall of the hotel. We had deluxe ocean view and deluxe ocean front which was a jr suite. I needed more space so paid 290 for the jr suite which was just a regular room with a little more sq footage and a microwave and mini sink. I like to have a nice room and this was not so nice. It was clean though. Towels were fluffy. Bed was just okay and nothing else. They did have complimentary internet access that was good. There are major taxes added to the rooms. Resort tax and PR tax etc. It added up to about 45 dollars on top of your rate so consider this when booking.

We gambled in the casino one night and it was fun. There was a five dollar blackjack table on a Saturday night tha I stayed at for 4 hours. The dealers and host were very friendly.

The area around the hotel up and down the street is okay. NOt so great walking at night but stay in groups and you will be fine.

I heard the planes in the day but not at night.

Had a great time.

• Stayed February 2005
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2005

We just spent 11 days on vacation...2 days pre cruise at the Sheraton Old San Juan and one day post cruise at this hotel..after some of the reviews we read about some of the hotels in Puerto Rico I took my own soap and towels just in case. I felt ridiculous when I saw these 2 hotels..this hotel was great for after the cruise because we just wanted to relax and did not want to sight see. The hotel was clean, we had plenty of towels and all those little products you usually see. The service was very good and I thought the hotel staff really went above and beyond to try to please us. We got off our cruise ship about 9:30 in the morning and our check in time was not until 4pm. I had called this hotel before leaving home to see if they would store our bags until check in and they said yes that we could store them and then enjoy their facilities. Not only did they do that but they also let us check in before noon, as soon as a room was available. They have numerous bathrooms near the pool area where you can change into your bathing suits or if you just want to lounge around the pool in your street clothes you can do that also. They also have numerous tables and chairs near the lobby where you can just relax and have a cool drink while you wait if you want to do that in air conditioned comfort. If you arrive during the evening they had a great latin band playing and they had a very nice dance area also.
We asked for an ocean view room and we did have one but as noted in one review if you looked down you could see a garbage dumpster at street level but all you had to do was look out and you had a great partial view of the beach that was just beautiful..given a choice where would you look?? It was great watching the surfers on the waves..I've never seen surfers in person before. They were probably about 1 mile or so from the beach area by the Marriott so did not interfere with being in the surf at this hotel. If you want a full view of the beach you need to ask for a beach front suite. We were happy with our room. It had a great little balcony. There was a building next to it undergoing a little renovation but it did not affect our stay there at all and the Ritz is just down the street a block or so, so it's a nice area. The Marriott is gated and the staff also put lounges and umbrellas on the beach are for your convenience. (All the beaches in San Juan are public beaches).
You do hear the planes flying overhead during the day since you are so close to the airport but I did not hear any at night..also if you're on the beach the sound of the surf drowns out he noise from the planes. Their pool area is just beautiful. They have regular pools, kiddie pools, a nice hot tub and numerous loungers so there was never problem finding a place to relax. It is also open 24/7. They have a swim up bar that is open from about 11am until sometime in the evening. We did not buy a lot of drinks there since they were $7.00 each and we have gotten some alcohol on the cruise to take off with us anyway. You can get an all you can drink all day soda deal for 3.95 which I thought was good. FYI..the American hamburgers served at the swim up pool area are 9.95 each. The have a casino downstairs which we tried briefly. They have a gift shop with limited selections but you could get a really cold can of soda for $1.00. They have an area where they sell rather expensive ice cream concoctions but you could also get a hot dog for $2.95. If you wanted a drink and chips with it the price was 4.95. Needless to say after the cruise we did not have a lot of money left so we got the hot dog combo before leaving for the flight home. They also have a restaurant called Salsa where they serve breakfast and dinner buffets during the week and also a lunch buffet on the weekends. We did not try it since we went into Old San Juan to eat at Mofongo's but we did inquire as to the price which was about $10 each for breakfast and lunch.
We did take the bus into Old San Juan because we just fell in love with that area when we arrived in Puerto Rico. The buses are supposed to run every 20 minutes but believe me that is a suggestion not a schedule.
We waited about 45 minutes for a bus but the concierge had warned us the buses did not run as often on Sunday. But then again for 0.25 cents you can't expect perfection...There were some areas between Isla Verde and Old San Juan in Condado that were really run down and I would not have felt safe walking thru them even during the day. I'm glad we stayed in Old San Juan and Isla Verde during our stay and not in the Condado area.
We found a great restaurant in front of the Sheraton Old San Juan called Mofongo's..Our waiter was Omar and he was just great...The food was really good and the prices were reasonable. Try the Mojitos, they are really good for a cool refreshing drink. I will also write a review of the Sheraton and more suggestions for that area.
If you want to get from the Marriott to Old San Juan per bus you need to take the A5 bus. When we were done we did take a taxi back to the Marriott which cost $15.00 and was much faster. The pool area at the Marriott and the beach beyond that were so great we just wanted to get back there and relax. Some of the taxi drivers speak fluent English and some speak no English at all so you may want the valet in front of the hotel to tell the taxi driver where you want to go just in case if you don't speak Spanish.
All in all this is a great place to stay if you want to swim, sun and play in the surf.. If you have any questions I will be glad to try to answer them...

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2005

We had never been to Puerto Rico before, this hotel looked fine for a 3-night stay without spending a ton of money. It was.

When we checked in we were told the only room with a king-sized bed was a smoking room (we are not smokers.) After a slight hesitation we decided to take the room anyway. Although it was completely clean it did have a slight odor but nothing terrible.

This hotel IS very close to the airport, and yes you will hear aircraft taking off and landing during the day. Not a big deal for us, and most importantly we slept great at night and if there was any air traffic during the wee hours, we didn't notice it. Watching the planes lifting off the ground as we sat on the beach was actually kind of entertaining.

This beach is not for snorkeling, water is too churned-up. I enjoyed being in it, however: jumping over each big wave as it came crashing in...fun! The pool was very pretty, they landscaped around it more so than other pools we've been to, it added a nice touch of tropical greenery. (Look for the native bird of Puerto Rico flitting around the palm trees while you're there).

The Marriott's buffet was (not surprisingly) nothing great. We ate there one night because it was easy and then found restaurants in San Juan the other 2 nights. The American breakfast was adequate but again, you won't love it.

Staff were all pleasant & competent.

We didn't venture into the casino at all.

All in all, there are definitely fancier places to stay in San Juan. If you are looking for an ultra-quiet upscale place with fantastic cuisine, this isn't for you. If you want a clean, nice-looking room with a comfy bed & pillows, a balcony where you can sit and see the beach, a nice pool, and you don't want to break the bank, this might work for you.

• Stayed January 2005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2005

got there Jan 30th, was greeted by a bellperson who brought one bag inside (the lightest one, while I struggled with the heavier ones. The front desk person was very polite and attentive. No check in lines or wait.

My room was okay, partial oceanview, not hardly worth the 300 bucks I paid. The decor was basic. Large stain on floor, broken lamp and pictures not hung on walls. I kept feeling like the room wasn't clean, and it had a musty odor. My balcony was clean and neat, overlooking the pool. They dont have any heat, which was fine. No movies, must use a DVD rental machine. No room service, just an offer for a $25 breakfast which included some OJ, cereal, and fruit...........I passed and went to Denny's.

They have live music on some nights, which is nice. The casino is always crowded. The gift shop is extremely expensive (go to Walgreens down the street instead). The ice cream bar is expensive and they are very rude. The fitness center is well equipped. The pool/hot tub was clean. The beach was just okay.................I have seen better.

The taxicabs that hang out front are swindlers, be advised..........if you can walk down the main strip...........walk.

Overall, for a better rate, maybe another time of the year I would stay again.

Lakeville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2005

We stayed at the Courtyard Isla Verde for one night due to our flight being delayed. Much to our surprise the renovation was done very tastefully. Loved the decor in the lobby, the room, and the restaurants. The hot tub is tucked into a little area away from the pools so it is restful and the pools were very clean. The pool towels were in short supply, but a hotel staffer happily produced some when I asked. The front desk staff was friendly and the concierge was very helpful. For a beachfront resort with many amenities, this is a very good value for a short stay. The airport is 5 minutes away and the jet noise was there, but did not affect my enjoyment of the resort. The Salsa restaurant was nice and had reasonable priced meals and good service. I would definitely stay here again.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2005

Spent a week in mid-January...overall, the beach was nice (not great--Culebras was great) and the hotel was okay. Half of the staff I came into contact with were very professional and extremely helpful; the other half were incompetent and unprofessional, some were downright rude. We got stuck on a smoking floor, which they did not tell us about, and every morning, we woke up coughing. As soon as we left the hotel, we felt better. We also got a room with the connecting door--we could hear the family of four (with a baby & a toddler) talking, using the toilet, the baby's cries as if they were in the room with us. I wonder if they knew that they were on a smoking floor? As for the room, everything looked clean, at first. Then I noticed that the fixtures in the bathroom were rusty and loose, there was a fine settling of dust everywhere, and the maid got progressively sloppy with the cleaning of the room, making the bed, replacing towels, etc. When we called down to the front desk to make several complaints, they were not very helpful. At one point, one of them actually said that their hotel isn't exactly the most expensive hotel in the area and implied that if we wanted all these things we were asking for, that we should have stayed at the Ritz. The casino is cheesy, but if you just like to gamble for fun, then there are plenty of $.05 slot machines, unlike other casinos, and you don't have to wait for a seat at a low-minimum table. The breakfast buffet was awful--completely over priced and what they were touting as made to order breakfast was just an omelet station, which was almost always closed (and we were there one hour before they stopped serving). The only time in the week that I saw it open was when we got there very early (we had vouchers, so it was a cheap way to have some simple b'fst). The noise of the airport is unbearable--I didn't realize how CLOSE this hotel was to the airport. If you are planning on going anywhere, I'd recommend renting a car--it's cheaper than taking all those taxis. I couldn't believe those tour operators were charging more than $40/person to take you to El Yunque!

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!