“Nice hotel, but full of bed bugs!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   7012 Boca de Cangrejos Ave, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #5 of 14 hotels in Isla Verde
New York City, New York
“Nice hotel, but full of bed bugs!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed in room#701 for 3 night, came back home last Tuesday. My husband and I just can't stop itching. Wish I've checked the bed before we left :( I was so impressed with the hotel, service, location, etc., but bed bugs ruined that all. so disappointed. overall, the hotel was nice, food was good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Padin, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort but frankly I was shocked by your statement our resort was “full of bed bugs”. Please let me assure you (and all TripAdvisor.com readers) that this is NOT true. As soon as I read your review I immediately called in our professional exterminator and we thoroughly inspected the room you occupied and found no evidence whatsoever of a bed bug infestation. I only wish that you had brought what your assumed were bed bug bites to our attention while you were still with us, as we would have been able to assure you and your husband that the itching that you experienced was most likely due to “no-see-ums”, most commonly known as sand flies or here in Puerto Rico “mágenes”, which are endemic to the Caribbean and flourish this time of year. These tiny insects are barely visible to the naked eye, but their bites can be very annoying. This is the reason that we provide our guests complimentary cans of insect repellent at our pool and beach areas.

Be assured that this type of bit is not harmful to human health. Although very difficult to differentiate one bite from the other, if you had visited your doctor he would have told you that the suspected bites that you and your husband had WERE NOT from bed bugs.

Please telephone me at my private cell 787-388-3043 if you wish to discuss this further.
We truly appreciate your glowing comments regarding our location, service and facilities, and I hope that you will honor us with a return visit.

José C. Padín
787-388-3043
jpadin@sjcourtyard.com

1,392 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This is a great oceanfront hotel for a pre- or post- cruise stay or a long weekend.

Staff is incredibly welcoming and friendly. Andre met us at our taxi with a friendly welcome. He stored our luggage and then brought it to our room. Andre was helpful with providing information about the resort and area. Yanet at the front desk also provided a friendly welcome. Our thanks to manager Yanira for accommodating our need to check in at 10:00am.

We had a room on the 9th floor, 2 queen beds, oceanview with balcony. While some may consider the rooms dated, they are clean and spacious. Our view from the balcony was great (we just avoided looking toward the building on our left that was not aesthetically pleasing- this is P.R. and there is a mix of run down and nice buildings everywhere). The palm trees and crystal blue waters were picturesque.

The beach was paradise. The beach is the reason (along with the friendly staff) that I would not hesitate to stay here again. Harry was friendly and prompt with assisting with beach chairs and umbrellas. The water was calm and clear. The sand was soft and clean. The hammocks on the beach were also a great place to relax to the sound of the waves.

Sirena was the restaurant/tapas bar outside that was adjacent to the beach. I could have eaten all meals here enjoying the great view of the beach and ocean.

We were here for only 1 night and did not venture outside the resort area. The restaurants Sirena and Salsa had good food. There was also a coffee/ice cream counter for breakfast & snacks.

Resort is near the airport, yet we did not hear the airplanes in our room. On the beach and from the resort windows facing east, we were able to plane watch.

This resort is a great value and the best option for oceanfront in Isla Verde (unless you want to spend a great deal more for the same beach at the Ritz).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary and made our reservations well in advance with specific requests for a room on a high floor with a view of the beach and away from the elevator, and guess where they put us? Third floor of a 10 floor hotel, right across front the elevator. And the front desk staff is the worst l have ever seen for a Marriott property. I had to check at the front desk daily to assure they did not add charges to my room that they should not have. We got one free breakfast per day (mind you, our reservation was for two people, but we only received one free breakfast). I will never stay there again!!! Spending over $200.00 per night for a hotel, to get such poor is disappointing. I'm fact, when l retuned a couple of weeks ago in business travel, I had faster, more efficient serve stating at the Hampton Inn Isla Verde. The rooms there are larger and they have free breakfast. It is surrounded by great restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013
Henry N, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Congratulations on your 10th Wedding Anniversary and thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent stay. I would like to apologize for not being able to accommodate you according to your requests. We take guest requests very seriously and always do our best to fully service them. Our front desk staff is constantly educated with various guest service trainings. I am very sorry to hear that you did not receive satisfactory service from them and apologize for this. I would like to address the breakfast item, but need more information about your reservation in order to do so. Please feel free to contact me at 787-648-8834 or hneumann@sjcourtyard.com in order to further discuss your stay.
I wish that we would have had the opportunity to meet during your vacation in order to correct these situations.
Hopefully, you will give us a second chance in the future. If so, please do not hesitate in contacting me.
Always willing to assist,
Henry Neumann
Johnson City, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed for 1 night on way to USVI for vacation. Clean, comfortable room. Patio restaurant "Sirena" was great. Tapas and drinks over looking beach and ocean with lighted fountain in middle of table. Breakfast at "Salsa" again on patio was good, maybe a little over priced...but good quality. Pool area was very nice. Casino is old feeling and small. Every staff member we encountered was very pleasant. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Very close to airport.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Crossville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I picked this hotel to get closer to the airport and avoid traffic before my return trip home. It was a little hard to get to but I blame that on the street layout and the GPS system. My first thought was, "Oh No, another casino hotel but it turned out to be my best stay in Puerto Rico. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Jose recommended their Selina restaurant for dinner and it was fantastic! One of my best meals ever. Christian was an excellent server and the atmosphere was soothing. The music was retro Latin jazz and suited the outdoor eating area perfectly. It will rate in my top 10 dining experiences. I felt like a celebrity in the 50's. I could easily see myself spending a week here relaxing. If the commute wasn't so bad I'd stay here instead of Dorado.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed at this courtyard, nice resort. Had some issues getting out of the garage but were able to overcome this, rooms are older but just fine, pool is nice, ocean is calm no big waves. We did the rain forest tour 1 1/2 hour tour, the content was ok. Our guide did not guide us thru and explain the forest. Just met up with him when we finished the hike, it was a slippery trail,bananas was good to have breakfast . Nice casino, walgreens close by to grab water and snacks , went to the metropole resturant twice its a good dea l and lots of food. We had rain half the time. But did not stop our golf, hiking and fishing charter, all in all good hotel and good services.

• Stayed June 2013
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We were given a room with a view of a roof!!! And the air were not working well.. We complained to the front desk and they moved us to a better room with balcony but had to pay the extra $20 a day. But well worth it... the view from our balcony was amazing!!! I loved the hammock by the beach. This hotel is literally a walk from the beach. The service by the beach were amazing. The casino is a plus and the bar by the lobby is wonderful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!