“This place is a winner! Great stay from start to finish!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort

You added Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   7012 Boca de Cangrejos Ave, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Washington, DC
“This place is a winner! Great stay from start to finish!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This place is a winner! Great stay from start to finish! The combination of friendly and helpful personnel and location make this one to place on the “come back again” list. Bell hop staff provided a friendly welcome. Not to be outdone, check-in staff put on the charm, too.

The Courtyard Isla Verde is well very well kept. Nothing was out of place. Several dining options, free wi-fi in the lobby, business center with internet and printing access, and Casino if you really want that, too.

The outdoor areas of the Courtyard make the hotel shine. And it doesn’t hurt that the hotel is on Isla Verde beach which is spectacular. Outside there is the option to dine on a terrace, relax in a well designed and very comfortable outdoor deck, lounge at the pool, play table tennis, jump in the hot tub, or eat at the pool grill.

It would be easy to just lounge around on the outdoor furniture all day reading a book or gazing off in the distance. People were doing just that! The hammocks in the pictures are as advertised and very comfortable which is another practical way to laze away the day. Easy to spot the surfers up the beach while reclining!

Oh! Swim up bar, too, if that suits your fancy. One dedicated kid’s pool with mini-slide and another not-so deep area good for kids flank the main pool. Pools appears to be heated. Too lazy/relaxed to get up and get your order from the pool side grill? Raise the red SOS flag on your lounge chair for service. How easy is that?! The beach side areas are pleasantly lit at night. Come back down later and sit and relax some more!

The hotel room was comfortable and the adjustable shower head actually provided either a spray or a focused massage stream! Wonder of wonders! I’m not a big fan of the long integrated desk/entertainment center with pull out table. It sits too high for comfortable laptop work. But are you really at the resort to pound away at the keys?

Mini-fridge was stocked with two waters. Nice touch! There was a DVD player in case you were bringing your own entertainment.

I think that it is a plus that the hotel is so close to the airport. Easy to get off the plane and get to the beach! The balcony door was actually a double door! I didn’t hear any plane noise! The balcony in 306 had a partial view, but certainly acceptable for star or moon gazing.

Good eating is within walking distance (Metropol, Platos)!

Isla Verde beach is very nice and the Courtyard is smack dab on it. Could not ask for a better location. The fact that the hotel is both well maintained and well appointed, and that it has a very friendly and efficient staff make this a winner! I will be back…not to work…only to professionally relax!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
Hillsborough, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in October as a quick getaway for my birthday. It was less then a 10 minute drive from the airport. Check in was relatively quick and front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. The grounds of the hotel were very neat and clean. The beach was more beautiful then I had expected. Guys on the beach set us up with lounges, table and umbrella everyday. Wait staff comes on the beach for drinks and snacks. Prices were a little high but to be expected in tourist areas. We hung by the pool and swim up bar as well, to catch some football games. Great atmosphere! Everyone was so friendly, both staff and other travelers. As previously mentioned the Salsa bar area in the hotel lobby has a live band and big turn out on weekends. Fun for dancing and drinks. We also walked out of the hotel to the Ritz Carlton for one night and down to some restaurants as well. Felt very safe. All in all, we would definitely stay here again. For the area and the quality of the hotel, this is a great bargain!

Extra tip: Check out Platos, a restaurant a few blocks from the hotel! Amazing mofongo, drinks, and live music. We ate here 3 times on our trip!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We picked this hotel because Isla Verde looked like a good place for swimming, Marriott is a known quantity (quality), and the price seemed right, even though I'm not as much of a fan of the Courtyard as I am the regular Marriott.

Well, this is a resort, so it's Marriott Courtyard resort. You'll get an extra daily charge for that but it is totally worth it. It is right on the shore, has pools, hot tub, massage on the beach, chair service at the beach and pool. And the staff was all just great. We thought the staff was better our first weekend than it was on my returning day on the following Saturday. But overall, great. I learned from some folks in the hot tub that this place had gotten some bad reviews and I can't understand why. My only complaint is the air conditioner is really loud. But I travel with earplugs so I managed not problem. And the room I had on my returning Saturday was on floor 12 and king and th couch did need to be replaced. But other than those 2 things, which are relatively minor, we just loved it.

They have a couple live salsa bands on the weekends, Fri, Sat, Sun I think. And it is packed, mostly with locals who love to dance. Some people from the mainland were in the crowd, including me, but mostly long time latin dance lovers who are local. It's a great feature. Better dancing and way better bands than a highly touted place downtown in Old San Juan which was a bare bones tiny low grade bar with lots of tourists, young people and guys on the make for the your tourist girls. Not so here. For salsa in San Juan, this is the place to go. And it is within walking distance to the San Juan Resort/Hotel and the Ritz, that also have live entertainment, but isn't so Latin focused.

Room Tip: Our lower floor room with 2 double beds was a little nicer than the king room on floor 12, but the r...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Homestead, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in February. The resort is very nice and has much to offer including a beach, pool area, lounges, a casino, a fitness center and many dining options.

It is located right on a very beautiful beach that has all the amenities, such as lounge chairs, umbrellas, hammocks and they even offer massages on the beach. The outside restaurant, Sirena offers spectacular ocean views. It was perfect for a romantic dinner for two.

The pool area is also beautiful. They have 1 large pool that is separated by a wall with families on one said and adults on the other. The adult side has a swim up bar as well. There is also a hot tub and kiddie pool that has its own water slide.

On Saturday night the main lounge, Salsa turns into an exciting Salsa club. Many, what seemed to be locals come out for a fun night of dancing & music. We thoroughly enjoyed watching all the action.

We tried a Pastrami sandwich at the Banana Bar, and it was very good one day but no so good the next, so a bit inconsistent. My husband also had a coffee from there, which he said wasn’t the best. We had a burger and some nachos at the Papaya Grill and they were fine. A small draft beer was over $5. Overall food and drinks were a bit pricey at all the onsite restaurants we tried.

The small casino has many slot machines, and a couple each of Blackjack, Craps, 3 Card Poker and Roulette tables. It seemed pretty busy on Saturday night.

The front desk personnel was very helpful and friendly, as well as the parking guys up front. A few of the bar tenders/wait staff out by the pool weren’t as helpful, but nothing really bad. Oh and they do have a place to get beach/pool towels that also offers floats and snorkeling equipment. I thought this was a very nice addition to the property. There is also a video arcade and a small gift shop.

One suggestion is to walk a few blocks down to the right and you will find a small plaza that has a Walgreen’s in it. There you can purchase some snacks and drinks for your room to save some money. We also ate at a restaurant in the plaza called “Made in Puerto Rico”, which offered some local flair.

Overall it was a very nice visit and would stay here again. Great for kids and families as well. Taxi costs from the airport to hotel with 1 bag was $13 each way and taxi from hotel to Old San Juan was $21 each way.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean front room. The views are great. We had a partial view, but mostly it was the bac...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Just returned from a 4 day trip to San Juan. Hadn't been in about 3-4 years so I came to trip advisor to check some places...

From reading the reviews before I traveled and now returning from my trip, I think this hotel gets a bad wrap.

Location was great, but I wasn't there to tour Old San Juan. I did happen to go to Old San Juan, and the taxi was $21 (for up to 5 people). So if you are a couple, it maybe better to find another couple and split the cost. Since we are talking about taxi's, it is a total racket!!!! They tell you it's set amounts for places.. To the Airport is supposed to be $15, and that's what I paid when I arrived, but another taxi driver told me $12 and when I departed the taxi driver charged me $14. It seems like they kinda charge you what they want. The front desk worker told me to ask the taxi drivers to actually turn on their meter, but when I got ina taxi and asked the driver he refused...

Back to the hotel... I was able to check in early (about noon) and my room was a partial ocean view. I could tell the hotel was older, but it has been maintained. In fact my room obviously had just been painted because there was painters tape on the smoke alarm on the wall. Things like that don't really bother me so I was ok with it.

I had a King room, which had a mini fridge, small safe, HD TV, sleeper sofa and desk. Also I had a balcony with a table and 2 chairs. The only issue I had with my room was I flushed my toilet and it was very slow..... once it went thru the process, and the tank on the back filled back up with water, I flushed it again at which time it overflowed. I called the front desk, (and since I had only been in the room a short time, I figured they would move me to another room) and in less than 5 mins a maintance guy was in there and fixed the situation. He called a housekeeper on his radio and told me he would be right back... He promply returned with a huge industry styled wet vac, cleaned up all of the water, and the housekeeper re-cleaned the bathroom. (I had only been in the room 20 mins so there wan't really anything that was dirty, but she re-cleaned everything anyway. The whole process took about 15 mins, but I was impressed.

The hotel has a few different restaurants and I had the breakfast buffet each morning. Of course it's a hotel so you know it's going to be a bit pricey..... but it was good. Also had an order of wings from the outside bar near the pool. I think I paid $10 for 5 wings/fries. (once again it's a hotel).

The pool, beach area is AWESOME..... let me repeat.... AWESOME.... I read (before I traveled) about the resort fee and I figured it was just for a bottled water and beach towel. I was WRONG. Sure I got bottled water and fresh beach towels whenever I needed them, but they also provide beach chairs, umbrellas, boogie boards, inflatables (for kids) and I think I saw a few surf boards also for hotel patrons. The staff was very helpful and would even set your chairs up for you. They also had a tent set up that offered massages (for a fee).

The Fitness center was top notch with top of the line equipment.

Walked thru the Casino, and if you want to gamble... it's there for you... slots and table games.

Each night there was a band in the lobby lounge and they were really good. I guess on Saturday night this is the place for the locals. The crowd was friendly, offering salsa lessons, etc. Was the band loud... Yes, but do you know of a quiet band? I wasn't on the 2nd floor so I can't speak on noise, but I was on the 3rd floor (right above the lounge) and didn't hear anything once i got to my room.

Tips: There is a Walgreens maybe 2 blocks down the street. You know they have everything from water, sodas, snacks, etc. (of course it's cheaper than the hotel) Also, there are more than a few restaurants down the street also and everyone that I tried was good.

Upon check out, my final bill was off a bit because of a error by the front desk employee who checked me in. I wanted a certain amount on my AMEX and I would pay the rest in cash. My bill that was placed under my door the final night didn't reflect the AMEX charge, but once i got the the front desk it was quickly fixed and I was on my way to the airport...

I will stay here again for sure....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and daughter (age 25) and I celebrated my birthday here on a whim for 5 nights, and WOW, were we ever surprised by this Courtyard resort! We usually stay in Marriott Courtyards when we travel in the US, but this Courtyard resort is exceptional in every way. Only similarity to US Courtyards is the interior of hotel room, but add to that fact that your room is in a high rise tower where all rooms have balconies and view of ocean! Ask for a high floor, we were on 9th floor. Fall asleep to the sound of the waves. And it's on a beautiful stretch of beach in suburb of San Juan. Over half a mile of beautiful public beach to hotel's east without development, but with lifeguards and only a few locals on weekends. Good walking and gentler surf. Ocean can be a little rough in front of hotel at times. I have to say we never even heard the planes from the airport. Beautiful pool area with swim up bar, friendliest staff, they set up your lounge chairs and umbrellas on beach, extras like massages on beach under tent. Beach is contiguous with hotel's pool area, very attractive, feels very private but it's public. But there weren't any local vendors/hair braiders/drug sellers as on other islands. Hotel is on a spectacular stretch of beach outside San Juan, minutes from the airport and quick taxi ride to Old San Juan. We walked easily and safely to restaurants and shops in Isla Verde. Weekends there was a full band in lobby bar playing beautiful salsa music and local couples dancing to it---wonderful to see. Casino is small and off the lobby, but can easily be avoided if you don't want to go there, seems to have a small local clientele. Good lobby snack bar, "Bananas" with coffee, muffins, fruit, for breakfast if you don't want to do the whole buffet in one of the 4 restaurants in hotel. Puerto Rico is so much easier to get to than other Caribbean islands we've been to, from now on we'll only come back to PR! A tip from other guests: walk 5 minutes to Walgreen's and buy cans of beer and other alcohol and snacks and a cheap cooler, bring it back to beach. Beaches are public so as long as you keep the cooler on the beach, Courtyard staff is cool with it. One evening there was a wedding and reception with buffet in pool area, with dancing under tent, it looked nicely done.

Room Tip: Most rooms have balcony with view of ocean (15 floors?). Ask for a high floor so you don't hear...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Went for a medical conference with a friend. Called ahead multiple times and requested room on beach or top floor. Offered to pay more. Was told first come first serve, which was a concern as we were arriving at midnight. We were put in a room 216 right above the bar. Extremely loud salsa music was played until 3:00 AM. No chance of sleep. There was a balcony that opened up to the roof, cigarette butts were strewn all over. The door lock was broken and we could not enter our room without going to the lobby desk and then waiting 15-20 minutes for security to come let us in. After 2 days of this and multiple complaints and requests for another room we were moved to room 215. This room was just as loud in regards to the salsa music and the fire alarm in the room made a continuous loud noise like a static radio station. We complained and a maintenance man DISCONNECTED the fire alarm, said he would come back to fix it but never did. Once the bar closed, employees started washing Restraunt equipment outside our window yelling to each other over noise of pressure washer. At this point we wanted to go to another hotel but were told we would be charged the remaining three days if we left. When we complained of noise response was, "yes, we know, everyone on the second floor complains about that.". "at least you are not on 2nd floor on airport side, those rooms gets more complaints.". "The rooms on 2nd floor next to banquet halls are bad too, because people from banquet stand in hallway talking into late hours and keep guests awake."
We asked the bell boy for a taxi to one of the forts, asked the price ahead of time and agreed . We both speak fluent Spanish but clearly mid western tourists. The cab dumped us off a half hour walk from our destination (unknown to us) to pick up another fair. We immediately called the hotel to report this crook and the reply was "Sounds like you shoud have a drink.". Many excuses were made for the cab driver and we saw him the next day picking up fares from the hotel. On our last night we were finally moved to a room on the 9th floor which was quiet and lovely.
As an experienced traveler, who travels once a month, many requests were made to speak to a manager everyday . We were given a variety of excuses and told someone would call us but no one ever did. We gave multiple suggestions for them to make things right from moving us to another room, allowing us to go to another hotel, drink or Restraunt credits, passes to activities but all we got was excuses.
The only redeeming quality of this nightmare was the beach. Fabulous, staff were friendly, fun and attentive. Food and drink service available at beach and pool. Beach chairs, umbrellas and towels available. Beware there is a charge tacked on to hotel bill at end of stay for using beach. Wish it had been posted somewhere to avoid sticker shock at end of stay. However, the beach was so wonderful it is worth the charge.
Would NEVER return!

Room Tip: Cancel reservation if on the second floor! Rooms 215 and 216 were awful!!! 917 was very nice.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Padin, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear HLLO, it really saddens me to know that your experience at our resort was less than satisfactory. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. Although all requests for upgrades and high floor rooms are subject to availability, our front desk staff always try their best to please our guests. If possible, please contact me at jpadin@sjcourtyard.com or call me at 787-388-3043, I would like to have the opportunity to discuss your review and perhaps, since you liked the beach and our fabulous staff, influence you to visit us again.

@ Your Service,

José C. Padín
jpadin@sjcourtyard.com
787-388-3043

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!