“One night” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   7012 Boca de Cangrejos Ave, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Special Offer
My Puerto Rico Experience
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Boston, Massachusetts
“One night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Very nice property.. The resort fee and taxes are a killer.. We need a room for one night during a sold out period.. Was lucky to get a suite..Expensive but nice..Ocean View..very safe. Big comfortable bed

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Madison, WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Arrived in San Juan from Madison, WI in February. Weather was great, transition from airport to hotel was stress-free thanks to a very courteous cab-driver who spoke Spanish, English, Italian, French & Dutch.

However the hotel was another matter. The grounds were lush and manicured and really pretty, but once inside, the glamor fell apart. No one at the front desk, then when the stunningly beautiful front desk "concierge" came out she couldn't find our reservation which I had a printed confirmation for. She obliged and re-booked us, but this was NOT a pleasant experience for my family who was exhausted. No place to sit for family as we did the entire reservation all over again.

The lay-out of the entry/lobby area is totally dysfunctional. Blaring music from the open-to-lobby disco and competing gambling slot machines was absolutely vulgar and we had to pass through this lobby everytime we went to the outdoor area and NO WAY were the children going through that gauntlet alone with drunken tourists from all over the world slobbering on each other!

The room itself was very nice and the view was from a very high floor and was stunning.

There is nothing wrong with this place that a really thorough RE-DESIGN of the main level couldn't cure. This place needs to decide if it is going to focus on 1 or 2 night clientele who are just there to get drunk, wait for their cruise ship, spend the weekend gambling OR if it is going to promote itself as a family-friendly resort. When our cruise ship arrived we left for the pier and once again the cab-driver turned out to be a very gracious and lovely older gentleman who had lived much of his life in Minnesota and LOVED meeting other Puerto Ricans who had lived in the States.

Marriott has let itself down and that is very unfortunate because all the employees were obviously working very hard to put a good foot forward but the management was clearly lost in the plot.

Room Tip: ask for room with water view even if it is not ocean-front
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

I say home away from home because of the people.. I visit this hotel about every month on business, and after a long day I actually look forward to being greeted back by the friendly staff.. From a friendly hostess Coral del Mar at sirena restaurant to the great bartender Christina.. They always help you unwind whether on vacay or here on business.. Great beach, great hotel, great people..
They are respectful and make every trip relaxing and fun.

¡Gracias! Mi famila de Marriott isla verde .. Hasta pronto

Constipado.. :)

• Stayed January 2013
Falls Church, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The exterior area around the pool was in desperate need of paint. In many pathways around the pool the paint was completely gone. It made the entire area look like a low class hotel.
The hotel bar is in the lobby with no walls separating the bar from the lobby. In the evening the entertainment would start early (a band) making the lobby so loud you could not have a conversation without yelling at one another. Poor set up.

Room Tip: All rooms provide a view of the water!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I would give zero stars but that was not an option! Do not stay at the Marriott Courtyard at Isla Verde in San Juan, Puerto Rico. It is an absolute nightmare!!! My husband and I, as well as my brother in law and a friend of ours stayed there from Dec. 26th 2012 to January 1st, 2013 and had a horrible stay. The hotel is in dismal shape. The interior is extremely dated, dirty and dingy. The service there is disorganized, disinterested, extremely slow and inefficient as well as I believe dishonest. Our stay was so bad I do not know where to begin. This trip was my husband and my 9th anniversary. I made the reservations 8 months in advance. I asked for a king room with an ocean view for my husband and I and a double room with an ocean view for my brother in law and his friend who joined us. I double checked these reservations four times before we got there. When I arrived they had my husband and I in a double room with an obstructed view. Our room looked shabby to say the least, not what I would have expected from a national brand such as the Marriott, with peeling wall paper, a dingy, dirty bathroom and carpet, missing art on the walls with shadows showing where things once hung. We had a view of the airport and a parking garage roof not the ocean as we would have hoped. The internet never worked even after several complaints nor did the television. I was told the hotel was 100% booked so my room could not be changed. We were also eaten alive by fleas, terrible bites all over our bodies, just horrible. The desk people said it was sand fleas that came out at night but with the look of the room I am not sure I believe them.
My brother in law’s friend had his $1,000 camera stolen from his room on the first day there right after he checked in. He carried his luggage and camera bag into the room, left it on the bed then went out. When he returned to his room a few hours later his camera bag was no longer on his bed where he had left it. When he told the front desk about this they simply told him that was not possible, no one that worked there would do such a thing. They said they would look in to it and to check back later. When no one contacted our friend after several days, he checked back later and no one knew what he was talking about. The person he spoke to about the theft the night it occurred did not write up the incident so there was no record. The new women we spoke to was rude and argumentative saying that we should have filled out a police report right after it happened as well as an incident report for the hotel’s records but when we had mentioned the police at the time of the theft the person our friend spoke with asked that we let them look into it first. Admittedly my friend should have taken this person’s name and insisted on the police begin called and the theft reported but we were on vacation and on our way out for the evening and he did not want to make a big deal out of it and take the time to do all that at the time. I wish he would have but that being said, items in your room should be safe and the person working at the time should have known the appropriate protocol for such an instance and insisted it be followed or at least made us aware of the protocol and given us the choice.
This was just the beginning. I sent items to dry cleaning and they were lost for two days. I had to have someone track them down. Thank goodness I had my tag because it would have been lost otherwise. We received several charges to our room that were not ours. When I spoke with the women at the front desk about the charges she asked me if I was the women with the baby who ordered all the food. I do not have any children and there should have been more oversight as to whom and how people charge items to rooms. You have to sign the check at the time of purchase and when asked to present these checks for the disputed orders the women was unable to present them so they were taken off my bill. Not only did I receive a number of room charges I had to dispute, so did my brother in law. The price gouging at the hotel between the absolutely abysmal foods that tasted as if it came right out of a microwave box or the $10 sodas were ridiculous. We ordered two mediocre Quesadas with plan cheese and four Coronas that took, no exaggeration, an hour to get and it cost $60. I asked for a soda and the waitress was nice enough to let me know that by ordering soda on the beach it would be $10! $10 for a coke but there were free refills. I needed sunscreen and all the hotel shop had was 4 or 8 which is ridiculous to begin with but on top of that the hotel was charging $21 for a $5 bottle of banana boat. We luckily found a Walgreens down the street and we were literally able to get the same bottle for about $5 and change.
At checkout there were a number of hidden charges such as $50 a day for a resort fee for using the pool and beach? Taxes I know about but four different taxes that were very high, a $42 a day government tax, $30 a day state tax, a $10 a day city tax and then an 8% a day sales tax! Friends of ours stayed at another hotel down the strip from us and they did not have to pay half those taxes! When I made the reservation the room fee was supposed to be $199 for myself and my brother in law for our rooms the first night, then $235 for the remaining nights. Luckily I brought a printed copy of this as they tried to charge us $285 a night plus and extra $150!! A night has they thought we had four people in each of our rooms and charged an extra $50 per person! Making this crappy barely 3 star room almost $600!!!!!! Dollars a night!!!!! I have never, ever written any kind of review before for anything but this experience was so tremendously horrible I had to complain. Please never stay here it is an absolute hotel nightmare!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Padin, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Please accept my most sincere apologies for the service issues that affected your stay at our resort. We take pride on managing our hotel and delivering service that exceeds the industry norms. It was disheartening to learn that this was not the case during your stay. I am very disappointed by the service issues that you experience during your stay but I must say that not all your comments are correct. I would like the opportunity to personally apologize and discuss these issues in depth, please do not hesitate to contact me at 787-388-3043 or send me a message at jpadin@sjcourtyard.com .

Our success since the opening has been built upon friendly and professional hospitality and I truly believe all our guests deserve to be treated with the highest level of service. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you soon.

José C. Padín
Trinidad
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

The only thing that was good about my stay here was the food. The hotel is very outdated, the carpets in the entire hotel (rooms and common areas etc.) desperately NEED to be changed. There was an empty bottle of water lying on the floor when I first arrived in my room. The bathroom is not very clean. The shower head was dirty, there are obvious re-plastered cracks in the bathroom wall that weren't properly sealed/fixed. The AC unit in the bedroom was filthy. I would DEFINITELY not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Padin, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay. We are grateful to be aware of the issues that have come up for you, as this is the only way we can address them and prevent similar problems from arising in the future. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience we may have caused you. I am truly sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations. All of us at the Courtyard by Marriot Isla Verde truly believe all our guests deserve to be treated with the highest level of service. I assure you that I will personally discuss your comments with our housekeeping and maintenance staff.

I hope that you will return to Puerto Rico and that we will have the opportunity of serving you again and restore your faith and trust in us.

José C. Padín
jpadin@sjcourtyard.com
787-388-3043
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for five nights. We had a great time, and have nothing but the best things to say about this resort. The property itself is very nice, well taken care of, and clean. Pool is great, and we appreciated the swim-up bar. I noticed that kids had a great time in this pool, and it was not very deep, so safe for the kiddos. Our favorite part was the beach - clean, not crowded, and the water was very warm. We had a blast splashing in the waves. This is probably the nicest beach in the immediate San Juan area from what I was able to see. If you're looking for a very tranquil beach, Luquillo beach is a 30 minute drive from here. We explored every day, and spent every night hanging out at the Sirena lounge area. Their tapas menu is delicious. The tapas prices are reasonable, I thought. About $9-$12 per plate, and worth it. We didn't try any of the main courses, but they looked great on other people's plates! The rooms were clean, modern, nicely decorated, and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was standard, and very clean. Considering how nice the resort was, we spent maybe a half hour in our room other than sleeping, so we didn't care that much about the room, but it was very nice nevertheless. One thing we both appreciated is that the everyone was very nice to the sweet dog and cat who hang out on the beach outside the hotel. Having heard some not-so-flattering things about how homeless animals are treated in PR, I was relieved to see this was not the case for this hotel. I'd gladly stay here again, and would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!