“Pleasant and memorable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort

You added Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   7012 Boca de Cangrejos Ave, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Special Offer
My Puerto Rico Experience
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
nevada city
“Pleasant and memorable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Courtyard Isla Verde; everything went smoothly from check-in to check-out, including excellent service from all employees, quiet beachfront room, breakfast at the beachfront café, Wednesday night manager’s reception, and the client friendly culture led and modeled by General Manager Jose Padin. I was expecting a typical Courtyard, but in fact it is more like a Marriott Vacation Club Resort.

I had read a lot of reviews on Trip Advisor (TA) before selecting this hotel. For full disclosure, I have been a Marriott Rewards member for more than 20 years, and have rarely been disappointed with my stays at Marriott’s around the world. For this trip I was considering several lodging options other than Marriott, mainly because of the variety of comments on TA. In the end, I made the right decision.

Some details: First the room: there were several comments about rooms; suffice it to say, I read those and made my request based upon the majority opinion. The bathroom does need updating (which is planned for next year), but still it was clean, roomy, and met my needs for a bathroom. Everything else about the room could have been a Courtyard anywhere in the world.

Client Friendly staff: I immediately had the sense that this was a priority for GM Padin; every staff member I encountered had a smile for me. Wednesday night’s reception (drinks and appetizers on the house from 5:30-7:00) was the highlight of my stay; I met several staff members and learned about their current roles with Marriott as well as things to do and see in Puerto Rico. I also met several interesting guests who I hope will visit me in my hometown.

Location Near the Airport: There were many comments about noise – there were a couple of planes during the day and I heard nothing at night (there were 2 glass patio doors (in effect, double paned). Proximity is an advantage for arriving and departing by air.

To do and see: Again, based on the reviews I read on TA, I planned my itinerary accordingly. My taxi into Old San Juan took about 15 minutes and I visited the Forts, the Cruise Terminal area, Museum of Art, had coffee at Caficultura, lunch at El Jabarito, and walked back along the beach (2 hours) to the hotel. I ate at both the Salsa Restaurant and walked about 10 minutes to the Metropol. They were both very good and reasonably priced. For more of a choice, take a taxi 20 minutes into Old San Juan and then return to the Courtyard and sit on the beach and listen to the waves. Thanks to all of the staff, and especially GM Jose Padin, for making my stay so pleasant and memorable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
West Palm Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Having had to alter travel plans due to inclement weather, my flight was unable to land on St. Thomas as scheduled and was sent to San Juan. Not having a hotel reservation on the island, I opened my laptap and booked with a familiar innkeeper, Marriott. I found a gem. From the moment I registered, I was showered with hospitality, found my room to be clean and a notch above standard amenities, and the selection of eateries was diversified. I chose to dine outside, sipping a spirit and eating delicious "tapas" while listening to the waves pounding the shoreline and island music piped throughout. The ambiance couldn't have been better. The bartender was like an umbrella for a single travelor, as she went above and beyond in making me feel welcomed and safe guiding me as I made my eatery selections. When I woke up, I was treated to a breathtaking view from my balcony., sipping this time island coffee. When checking out, I told the desk clerk how I was an exhausted travelor upon arriving and was leaving rested with a spring to my step. She suggested I write a review and the rest is history.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Flyover Country, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Hotel was OK, but nothing special. Staff was efficient but not overly friendly. The business center was small. Room was a little shabby & bathroom had not been completely cleaned prior to arrival (a few rose petals behind the door). Beach & pool nice. Reasonable value for the money.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on airport side, as the noise from takeoffs and landings can be loud.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I went fire my birthday with five friends. The staff went above and beyond to help. Very friendly, all of my guest had an amazing time. I was also happy that my room was steps from the beach. I will go again.

• Stayed May 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Prior to booking my stay, read many reviews. It lived up to the many positive attributes noticed by others....great service....easy access to beach....clean rooms....casino in lobby....swim-up bar....nice beach front restaurant! Ours was a quick getaway, but really glad we chose to stay at this property.

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Loved our stay there! Extremely friendly staff! Great restaurants! Hardly left the hotel! Beautiful area! Live salsa music! sirena restaurant was great fine dining with great service. Will recommend to my friends and family and hope to stay there again soon!

• Stayed October 2012
Wyckoff, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed at the courtyard Marriott from October 23 - 30, 2012, we were unable to get out due to the destruction of Hurricane Sandy, the Marriott would not honor the rate when we tried to extend our stay, we explained that we were due to fly out to JFK and all flights were cancelled due to the hurricane, they were willing to let us keep our rooms only for a higher rate. When we arrived at the hotel one of the pools were empty, we did not leave we were upset but we chose to stay, they took off two days of resort fees, which is 17% of our bill, we were thankful and gave them our business instead of going to another hotel, how do they thank us they try to get more money from us when we were stranded. Hotels like this do not deserve our business, they should know I go to Puerto Rico three times a year and now I will never give them any of my business. I spent money at the restaurants, the casino and the pool bar, and what is my thanks - pay more and you can stay here. So the end result was I found another hotel so they lost two rooms for 130.00 plus resort fees of 17% for two rooms, you tell me who the loser is now.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Padin, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We regret you feel you have not been given the customer service you expected from us. It is our sincere intentions to exceed the expectations of every guest.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience we may have caused you but please know that the only reason we changed your rate was because you added two persons. This changed was explained by our front desk staff and acknowledged by your party. We will never dare to benefit from an unfortunate event like this one.

I would like the opportunity to personally discuss this misinterpretation, please contact via e-mail at jpadin@sjcourtyard.com or call me at 787-388-3043. I hope that you will return to Puerto Rico and that we will have the opportunity of serving you again and restore your faith and trust in the Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort.

Saludos,

Hampton Inn & Suites San Juan
El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel
Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino
Doubletree by Hilton San Juan

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!