“best vacation EVER!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   7012 Boca de Cangrejos Ave, Isla Verde, Carolina 00979, Puerto Rico   |
Special Offer
My Puerto Rico Experience
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Isla Verde
Pembroke Pines, Florida
“best vacation EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We made the best choice on hotel resort. The family had a fantastic 4th of July week. The room was spacious, clean, the view from the balcony--phenomenal, and the people made the experiece great. The beach area and all the amenities keep the kids busy but the best was the hammocks with bar service. sitting in the courtyard at night with cool breeze and enjoying stories of the day: the grandparents dancing, the kids making new friends, and history gain by touring the old city...this is what vacatin is all about..

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I stayed here with my wife the weekend before the 4th of July. We loved the hotel. Even though is not new it still looks nice. The room was spacious and had a little balcony that has a nice view of the beach. It was clean and no strange odors. The beach is awesome, very fine sand and lots of amenities, including free hammocks (if you are lucky to get one, although in the night you can). Very nice pool with bar, with lots of activities for kids. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. The hotel has a covered parking, that has ample lighting at night. The hotel is located across from the airport, but the noise cannot be heard in the rooms (ours was facing the beach). They have plenty of entertainment in the lobby area, although the food prices are high. There is a very nice restaurant less than a mile away called Metropol, that offers excellent Cuban food with very reasonable prices. It has free parking (a rare thing in San Juan) but it can get crowded. It is worth waiting..

Room Tip: Rooms facing the beach are quiet
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

If you are planning to start your vacation in Puerto Rico, you may want to re-think staying at Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde. The hotel is just outside the international airport, and airplanes that takes-off rattle the hotel and the noise is too much to bear, especially if you need relaxing moments while on the beach. Also please note that the lobby of the hotel becomes a party place for the local on weekends. The band plays wonderful salsa music and loud. The staffs, however, are fantastic and helpful.

Overall, if you need casino action, salsa music, local crowd, and airplane noise, Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde is for you. But if you need peace and quiet, you may want to explore the hotels outside the Isla Verde area and AWAY from the airport!

Room Tip: Rooms at this hotel are exposed to airport noise. Believe me.
Salt Lake City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I would probably rate this more like 3 1/2 stars. The rooms are small, kinda dark, but acceptable...for lack of a better way to put it.
I wish the bathrooms were updated and kept a bit cleaner.
The balconies are small, but offer a nice view of the beach.
The beach area is beautiful. The pool area (and beach) is crowded. Head out in the morning to grab a good spot.
Don't forget the bug spray. Lots of mosquitoes.
The bar area is fun. The restaurants are not that good. For fine dining, go next door to the Ritz and splurge at the Italian restaurant. It is amazing. Worth the money.
I stayed here 2 nights: pre-cruise and post-cruise. Although it is a pretty decent hotel, I wouldn't choose this hotel for a vacation destination hotel because of the food, the lack of wine choices, and lack of activities offered. I would however recommend this hotel if you are in transit.

Room Tip: It's close to the airport, so you will hear the planes...although if you ask for a room looking...
Bronx, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

At first I was not going to make a review for this hotel, but I think I need to do some justice here.

I stayed at this resort the week of 6/25/12. I have also stayed here 2x way back in the early 90's when it was called the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza. I also stayed here in 2003 when it was a Marriott. So I'm very familiar with this property. Sadly, it is not as good as it was in the past.

Overall the hotel is nice, but not quite up to par. It's overpriced for it being a "Courtyard" and being across from the airport. Lets face it, we're not talking the Ritz or the El San Juan here. I'm guessing b/c it's an ocean front resort they feel that they reserve the right to charge a little more. My wife and I shopped prices for this hotel and we were shocked to see that some nights were up to $300 a night. Seriously, people, this is a Courtyard Marriott and definitely not worth those prices. Luckily we caught a deal on Hotels.com for half of that.

I didn't bother to eat at the hotel restaurants because being Puerto Rican, I tend to eat at the local eateries anyway. I did look at what other people were eating at the restaurants and I wasn't really impressed. However, the cheeseburger at the pool side cafe was really good.

The pool at this property was dirty (hair, leaves, sand, bugs, empty cup, broken plaster on the floor). I spent quite a few hours at the pool daily and not once did I see anyone come by to clean in the afternoon. The water was not even cold. Not to mention there is a wall separating one side of the pool from the other. I don't know who's bright idea that was, but it's a bad one. So if you're on the hotel side of the pool, you need to get out and walk around to the other side to get to the bar (try not to fry the bottom of your feet on the concrete while you do so). Having the wall there kinda defeats the purpose of a "swim-up bar". But when you do get there, you leave disappointed. I had to ask the bartender several times to add more liquor to the drinks. I mean, if I'm paying nearly $9 for a Piña Colada, I better taste the rum. I've made better drinks at home and I'm no bartender. My advice, go to the beach, its cleaner and the water is nice and cold.

If you rent a car, good luck with parking. The hotel does not mark off parking for guests vs visitors, it's pretty much a free-for-all. On the weekends, the parking garage can get crowded, the locals like to hit the casinos, so you may end up driving up 3 or 4 flights to get a spot. Luckily there is an elevator which will take you to the entry of the casino (how convenient). Make sure you also have good insurance on your rental car (people have no regard for how they park their cars in the garage...think 3-4 inches between cars on each side). Another annoyance was the security gate. You get one parking ticket you use througout your stay, stick it in and out of the scanner and the arm lifts up (or so you hope). We got stuck a couple of times at this gate. I would think at this point in time, they should integrate the stupid thing with your room key, come on Marriott!! Get rid of that antiquated system.

The hallways leading to the room were always warm, even our room was not that cold when we arrived. The bathroom was ehh, plain jane. I think Marriott could have done a better job with concealing the piping under the sink (what an eye sore). My wife was annoyed that their showers had barely any place to put soap or shampoo.

Overall I gave this resort a 3 (wish I could give it a 2.5). Needless to say, I will never stay here again. There are far nicer hotels in San Juan if you want to spend some more $$.

Room Tip: If you desire a shower/tub combo make sure you get a room on a higher floor. A lot of hotels now are...
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I recently returned from a 7 night visit with my husband and toddler. This hotel has the best beach and an exceptionally nice staff. Our trip started off right with emails between myself and the manager Jose prior to arrival. He made sure we got the room we wanted (high floor with balcony and crib) and gave the front desk staff a heads up for our arrival which made us feel very taken care of before even arriving.
Here is what I loved about the hotel:
- the women working the morning shift at the coffee/ice cream bar, were so friendly, remembered us every morning and they were great about talking to our little one
- the guys setting up chairs and umbrellas on the beach had great attitudes and were quick to set up a spot for you in the exact location you wanted along with side tables for your personal items.
- pool was large and never crowded, no matter what time of day there were always available tables and lounge chairs, I especially loved the outdoor couches with oversized umbrellas
- family friendly without being overrun by children. i especially liked that there was a baby pool for my toddler to wade in safely
Areas that need some attention:
- variety of foods offered at the onsite restaurants. I would have liked to have seen more healthy fresh options on the menus as well as children's menus.
- maid service could be improved - the rooms were not filthy but I noticed that crumbs were not always wiped or vacuumed away
- though the hotel can't do much to improve this, I was disappointed at the lack of restaurants that were close by. It was not convienent to go out for breakfast or lunch if you did not have a car (even then it will cost you money to park anywhere) and if you wanted to walk to dinner we only found two restaurants that were good (Los Platos, Metropol)
- taxis to Old San Juan will run you $50 round trip so we only made that trip once though it was lovely and we ate at a great diner (can't remember the name) it wasn't worth repeat taxi rides

Last piece of advise if you are debating between Courtyard and the Ritz go for Courtyard. We visited while we were there and were so glad we weren't staying there. The Ritz felt crowded, stuffy and not all the rooms had balconies. Plus the beach at the Courtyard was much nicer.

Room Tip: Ocean view is a must!
Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I have 3 kids from ages 3-16 and there's something to do for each of them. The pools (yes more than one) are located right next to the beach which allowed the older kids to run back and forth between them. Very safe location and a pool bar! Get an ocean view room if you can, you won't regret it.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!